Author Topic: Matthew 24:7 and more  (Read 2605 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Matthew 24:7 and more
« on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
7“For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. 8“But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

9“Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10“At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11“Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. 12“Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. 13“But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. 14“This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Perilous Times

15“Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains. 17“Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house. 18“Whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak. 19“But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20“But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath. 21“For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. 22“Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23“Then if anyone says to you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ,’ or ‘There He is,’ do not believe him. 24“For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. 25“Behold, I have told you in advance. 26“So if they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out, or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. 27“For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28“Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

The Glorious Return

29“But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30“And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory. 31“And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

http://biblebrowser.com/matthew/24-7.htm

A "Charles Martel" commenter at PJMedia led me to look it up.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Matthew 24:7 and more
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
I love Jesus. I have great trepidation as to the implications of His return upon our earthly lives. But I do not fear Him. I believe that Christians are supposed to do so much more than evangelize in those final days. I do not believe we are meant to stand aside and be slaughtered without a fight, hoping to win one more soul for the kingdom before the knife is put to our throats. If that fight becomes something more dire and desperate than what it is, I will engage with the comfort and confidence of knowing that Jesus Christ is in my heart and at my side, and that His people with Him.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »

We will come back as his army of angels, but those who sit and wait for that time will not be amongst us.

1 Samuel 17

[blockquote]
...And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine.

41And the Philistine came on and drew near unto David; and the man that bare the shield went before him. 42And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance. 43And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods. 44And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field. 45Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. 46This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. 47And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD'S, and he will give you into our hands.

48And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came and drew nigh to meet David, that David hasted, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine. 49And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
[/blockquote]

Why did David pick five stones? 
Because Goliath had four brothers.

Push.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:25:27 PM »
I love Jesus. I have great trepidation as to the implications of His return upon our earthly lives. But I do not fear Him. I believe that Christians are supposed to do so much more than evangelize in those final days. I do not believe we are meant to stand aside and be slaughtered without a fight, hoping to win one more soul for the kingdom before the knife is put to our throats. If that fight becomes something more dire and desperate than what it is, I will engage with the comfort and confidence of knowing that Jesus Christ is in my heart and at my side, and that His people with Him.

"Constitutional government fails when the people don't stand up, arm up and turn out en masse.  Shooting may not be necessary, but a massed, armed presence, ready for confrontation, is.

We are the last and most impenetrable bulwark of a free state and it is incumbent upon us to "get ready".

A couple here have raised the issue of "if you've never been, you don't know what you're getting into", and they're absolutely right; never having been in a warzone, a fire-fight, or even an armed confrontation, I don't, not from experience.  But if my presence issues forth an iota of value, it's my duty, my honor, to present."

Christ never meant for us to turn the other cheek unto death. Turn thy plowshares into swords AND STAND FOR HIM.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:25:59 AM »
Onward Christian Soldiers...

...I always took that to mean the Army of God, using Army and soldier in the usual context, regardless the pacifist meaning the Sunday school teachers always promoted.  Their aversion to violence seemed naive and foolish to me even back then!  Any kid ever picked on at the playground knew doing nothing only earned more of the same!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »

[blockquote]
    We sang "Onward, Christian Soldiers" indeed, and I felt that this was no vain presumption, but that we had the right to feel that we serving a cause for the sake of which a trumpet has sounded from on high. When I looked upon that densely packed congregation of fighting men of the same language, of the same faith, of the same fundamental laws, of the same ideals ... it swept across me that here was the only hope, but also the sure hope, of saving the world from measureless degradation.
    —Winston Churchill
[/blockquote]

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »
We're in good company!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.