Author Topic: pops roasted Red Peppers  (Read 5839 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
pops roasted Red Peppers
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
 OK this is how we eat roasted red peppers:

I use my gas grill to do the roasting but you can use charcoal(that's what pop uses).

I start with about 6 nice big red peppers(more if they're small
  A couple of nice red ripe tomatoes
  Garlick(I like and use a lot)You do what you like
  1 lemon or lime your choice.

Wash and wrap the tomatoes in aluminium foil and place on the grill and leave then there cooking till you done with the peppers. 
Roast the peppers till the skin is charred rubbing the skin with olive oil  helps a lot.

Place them in a covered pot and leave them there for about a half hour including the tomatoes.

Peal the skins wash all the seeds out and let drain

Now you tear into strips into a bowl pull the skins off the tomatoes and crush them into the same bowl add the juice of either your lemon or lime add salt black pepper,garlick(chopped) and a generous amount of olive oil.

Mix together and let stand for a couple of hours or over night would be better and you have a great side for whatever meat you like.And lots of crusty Bread for dipping in the oil.

Any questions.and this is as Sicilian as it gets.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: pops roasted Red Peppers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Yum!  Will try this.  I have an awesome bread recipe I make that this would be great for.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:10:32 AM »
This is gonna be a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyhoo. Since I've never eaten nor seen roasted red peppers, perhaps you'll forgive my ignorance.

Are we talking red bell peppers here, or red hot peppers?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:34:59 AM »
This is gonna be a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyhoo. Since I've never eaten nor seen roasted red peppers, perhaps you'll forgive my ignorance.

Sweet red peppers.  You can use the orange and yellow ones as well.  I don't like green peppers, and when roasted don't come out sweet, at least not to me.

I roast them on the stove top as I have a gas stove; though you can use the broiler (but I find that to be a pain).  Stovetop roasting works fine, though it does not impart as much flavor as charcoal, but when you live in an apartment, you do what you gotta do.  Roasted peppers are great on sandwiches (especially homemade Italian ones [cappicola, mortadella with pistachios, salami, ham, pepperoni, or whatever cold cuts you like], with sharp imported provolone and homemade black olive and roasted garlic paste, a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil mixed with a little dried oregano, thyme and basil), in salads, heck, I've even made a chili using roasted everything:  Jalapenos, serranos, red peppers, onions and garlic.  It was very different and good, though the flavor was somewhat lost after freezing.  Live and learn.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:39:07 AM »
So "sweet reds" are Bell peppers?

Rick do you bake bread?  I've got a question about yeast.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:09:58 AM »
So "sweet reds" are Bell peppers?

Rick do you bake bread?  I've got a question about yeast.

I've always considered bell peppers the green ones, as they are not sweet.  I've also always heard sweet red peppers called 'sweet red peppers', not red bell peppers.  I guess they call them 'sweet red peppers' to differentiate from hot red peppers.

As for bread, I've only made pizza dough, no other bread.  But ask away.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:25 AM »
Rick, you just made my saliva glands ejaculate.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:53 AM »
Rick, you just made my saliva glands ejaculate.

Yeah, well, you should have tasted that hero.  I mean, day-um!

Oh, and always wrap a hero in plastic and allow to come to room temperature for an hour or so for the best flavor.  The irony of cold cuts is that they are not meant to be eaten cold.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »
...Oh, and always wrap a hero in plastic and allow to come to room temperature for an hour or so for the best flavor.  The irony of cold cuts is that they are not meant to be eaten cold.

I had no idea.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »

My parents do the same with hot peppers but I don't do hot foods so in this case it's red bell peppers because of their thickness they roast the best IMO.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
...Oh, and always wrap a hero in plastic and allow to come to room temperature for an hour or so for the best flavor.  The irony of cold cuts is that they are not meant to be eaten cold.

I had no idea.

True Dat!!
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »

I had no idea.

It's the fat, it needs to come to room temperature for best flavor.  Or you could give it a quick turn in a low temperature skillet.  I worked at an independent Virginia Beach sub/pizza shop as a kid.  We made premeasured, prewrapped sandwich selections, and once we got an order, we unwrapped it and threw it on the grill for about 5-10 seconds, then slapped it into the hero with all the rest of the fixings.  For some reason, the owner called it 'Philly style'; I have no idea why, but maybe it had to do with the way they make cheesesteaks there, I just don't know.  But I do know that rather than messing up a skillet, I make the sandwich and wrap it up and let it sit on the counter to warm.  That's why Italian hero sandwiches made ahead of time for a picnic always taste better than ones made and eaten immediately.  By using oil and balsamic, you don't have the mayo issue to worry about, either.  Also, I'd use sun dried, not fresh tomatoes as they are too wet, and can make the sandwich soggy; you can always make a sun dried tomato/black olive/roasted garlic paste, which would be fine.  Roasted peppers can be moist, too, but they have less water.  And never use fresh mozzarella, much too wet.  Tastes good, but be prepared for a drippy mess.  That's why I use the hard imported provolone and slice it myself; the slicing provolone is too waxy and has little flavor.

Heating a sub is why Quizno's is so popular.  In college, the local sub shop/bar threw the sandwich in a toaster oven for a minute or so, again to warm the meat up and slightly melt the cheese.  But I'm beyond that now.  LOL!  Having it at room temperature is plenty good for me.  Plus, it's less work and cleanup -- including clothes as no runny fat is dripping all over the place.

RickZ

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »

I had no idea.

True Dat!!

John, I may be a Bohunk, but I know my Italian cold cuts and cheeses and how to eat them (my asparagus rollups antipasti creation, with goat cheese and prosciutto, are delicious and best at room temperature as well).  I've been called many things in my life, but I've never been called late for a meal.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »

I had no idea.

True Dat!!

John, I may be a Bohunk, but I know my Italian cold cuts and cheeses and how to eat them (my asparagus rollups antipasti creation, with goat cheese and prosciutto, are delicious and best at room temperature as well).  I've been called many things in my life, but I've never been called late for a meal.

BOHUNK???
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »
BOHUNK???

Derogatory slang for Hungarian, like Chink for Chinese, Guinea or Wop for Italian, Donkey or Mick for Irish, Frog for French, Spic for Hispanic, etc.