Author Topic: Did Michigan just trigger a constitutional convention?  (Read 429 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
Did Michigan just trigger a constitutional convention?
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
I have been noticing a few articles and pieces on the radio about this never used part of the Constitution on Amendments,   this is on Fox news today.   Haven't seen a discussion on this option on the part of the states here before.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/02/rare-option-forcing-congress-to-meet-change-constitution-gains-momentum/?intcmp=latestnews

My guess,  Congress will go out of its way to block this big time.   This is a checkmate that the citizens probably should have used a long time ago. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Did Michigan just trigger a constitutional convention?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
Congress can't block it.  The courts can't block it.  If either tries, the states are absolutely justified in proceeding anyway.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:57:07 PM »
Yeah, but the problem is that this has never been done before and some of the states have since rescinded their original vote in favor so no one knows if they still count or not.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:28:37 AM »
The other legalistic quibbling aside, there is no expiration date on consideration...all Congress can do is basically watch, if the states together decide the 2/3 threshhold has been met they can convene, and if a resolution is agreed to 3/4ths of the states in convention or in their legislatures then the resolution becomes an Amendment, period.

So seems to me somebody has to poll the states as to the status of their request and it seems to me the best way would be for officials in a Pro state start making calls and have their AG offer an opinion with respect to meeting the 2/3rds hurdle.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:59:50 PM »
Maybe a constitutional convention is what will finally kick off the 2nd Civil War. The liberals would try to use any such convention as an opportunity to upend everything and reorder it into a "right to a job; right to housing; right to birth control pills; right to happy ending out-call massage" charter. That's why arguing from first principles is so important. Too many on our side unintentionally fall into the trap of implicitly accepting that our rights come from a constitution or government allowance. They come from God and we have them because we exist. Full stop. No constitutional convention gets to change that.

If necessary, BITS.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
I added another acronym...

CMY - Critical Mass Yet?

I think the time has come where the event is quite near...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.