Author Topic: Navy Top Brass too worried about social issues  (Read 2333 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Navy Top Brass too worried about social issues
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/25/sailors-leaving-navy-over-stress-on-social-issues-/

A Navy F-18 fighter pilot and former Top Gun instructor is publicly warning admirals that retention is beginning to suffer from the military’s relentless social conditioning programs.

Cmdr. Guy Snodgrass, until recently a Pentagon speech writer for the chief of naval operations, Adm. Jonathan Greenert, said sailors are becoming fed-up with the constant emphasis on social issues — an apparent reference to gays in the military, women in combat and ending sexual harassment.

SEE ALSO: Obama to kill Navy’s Tomahawk, Hellfire missile programs in budget decimation

“Sailors continue to cite the over-focus on social issues by senior leadership, above and beyond discussions on war fighting — a fact that demoralizes junior and mid-grade officers alike,” Cmdr. Snodgrass wrote this month on the U.S. Naval Institute website, an independent forum for active and retired sailors and Marines.

It is a remarkably frank assessment from an upwardly mobile fighter pilot who is due to become the executive officer of a F-18 unit in Japan.

He says one troubling sign already has emerged: a drop in applications to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis last year.

“The U.S. Navy has a looming officer retention problem,” Cmdr. Snodgrass writes, adding there is an “erosion of trust in senior leadership.”

He says retention racked up its “worst year in history” for the special warfare community, including Navy SEALs, with a record number of lieutenants declining to stay.

The aviation side had a goal of 45 percent “take rate” on retention bonuses, but got only 36 percent.

SEE ALSO: Pacific Cmdr.: U.S. lacks ability to conduct successful amphibious assaults

“Unfortunately,” Cmdr. Snodgrass says in his 24-page study, “the fact that a growing number of quality officers have already left the service or are planning to head for the doors seems to be going undetected by senior leadership.”

He lists long wartime deployments as a leading retention negative.

He also tackles a touchier issue, what some sailors have referred to as “political correctness,” such as the banning of uniform patches that might offend someone.

Cmdr. Snodgrass writes of “a recent shift within the Navy to eradicate behavior that is, by its every nature, ineradicable.”

“Put simply, there is no dollar amount that can be spent, or amount of training that can be conducted, that will completely eradicate complex issues such as suicide, sexual assault, or commanding officer reliefs for cause — yet we continue to expend immense resources in this pursuit,” he says. “Sailors are bombarded with annual online training, general military training, and safety stand-downs — all in an effort to combat problems that will never be defeated.”

Some of the pressure comes from Congress.

“The perception is that these efforts are not undertaken because they are incredibly effective, but rather because of significant political and public oversight,” the commander says.

Emasculation of the military in full force.  ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Navy Top Brass too worried about social issues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
The positive: More good guys on our side when TSHTF.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
The positive: More good guys on our side when TSHTF.

Exactly. I hate to say it, but at this point anything that reduces the competence and capability of the US military is a good thing. It angers me to have to feel this way, but you have to remember that the #1 numero uno "bad guy" that they war-game for isn't a resurgent Russia, an expansionist China, or a global Islamic jihad. It's us. It's American citizens who want to put their government back inside the constitutional cage where it belongs. So since we've been declared the enemy, I want them to indulge all their dumbass fantasies and pet theories of liberalism. I want them to be repellent to good and decent servicemen, because we will need them on our side.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
The systematic destruction is almost at the point of no return, if not arrested soon the end is written...having said that, there is nothing on the horizon that is hopeful, so yes, the walking away from failure and dysfunction is the only sensible option left for good people to make.  Come to us, leave the rest to wither on the vine...

The only danger is the point of maximum institutional weakness...and wether or not that entices a foreign interloper to pounce.

Well, that too will be more blood on progressive hands...and they'll be held to account one way or another...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.