Author Topic: We have to find an alternative to Comcast  (Read 634 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We have to find an alternative to Comcast
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:07 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375116/how-comcast-bought-democratic-party-matthew-continetti#!

We have to divest from these azzholes...not concerned about entertainment alternatives, plenty out there in the interwebs to choose from...but where else to go to for high-speed internet service?

Giving any more to these idiots is stupid...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: We have to find an alternative to Comcast
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:36:51 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375116/how-comcast-bought-democratic-party-matthew-continetti#!

We have to divest from these azzholes...not concerned about entertainment alternatives, plenty out there in the interwebs to choose from...but where else to go to for high-speed internet service?

Giving any more to these idiots is stupid...

Well I assume if you hada FIOS provider available you would already be using them... so

Comcast (cable) is your best internet possibility.  Everything else you pay more, and get less.  For the most part Comcast seems to have kept their data runs small enough that they generally do not get too congested  when you and your neighbors all get on at the same time, speeds are high, lag is low.

The next best thing you can get is DSL - this has range limitations from the central office, will have lower speeds in general (but still can be quite fast) , but will generally be slightly more laggy. Also,  since it runs on a telephone line, its regulated and everyone can play.. that means some people will put too many people on a dslam and have too little bandwidth coming out.  Finding a DSL provider that caters to gamers ( low lag)  is a good way to go, but everything costs, and they will charge more than your basic telco price. - so anywhere from $30 - $200 a month..

thrid you can investigate having a T1 ( or larger - multiple T1s etc)  run directly to your house form an ISP.  Again, this is over phone lines, so lots of providers -  and it is  a direct pipe--- 1.44Mega/bits. ( sad that sounds slow now..)  But its still running from the $200/month area all the way to 1000s depending where you are.

I have seen local rural providers doing a DSL like-play over radio systems.  I use one at the Teotwawki place, and I am pleased with it, but its 300-600K bits and still $50 a month

Satellite  (excede)  is very fast, but you have a 2 second lag on every pack, which makes it seem slow.  (you wait 2-4 seconds after every click for the first packets to come back, but when they arrive they flood in..  However they say they sell you 10 Meg/month - and they count BOTH in and OUT.  SO every TCP scan or other packets sent to you from the outside get counted.  As a result, 10 Gig won't last 1 week at my house- and they get you for two years on the contract... They also refuse to give you any accounting of how you supposedly reached your ten gig limit..    I will be canceling this contract as soon as possible.  But yeah, if you want to Literally turn it off when not it use it might be okay

Verizon and other Wireless operators also offer Highspeed over their 4G networks - most are metering it ( 10 Gig increments)  and its still on the expensive side.   And the speeds can vary a lot by location and even time of day ( obviously they don't have enough bandwidth at the head end)  but you will get 300 kbps pretty reliably and sometimes much much higher.  But its a crap shoot.  Some companies ( verizon)  want to meter the data ( but they are WAY more fair about than Bluesky/exede)  and others are all you can eat, but their coverage areas for 4G are smaller, so its less likely you live in one.

Finally, you can always use the data channel on a business PRI-- but you are going to be very bandwidth limited - never more than 128k...

So yeah, Comcast has you by the balls.  If I could get them out here, I would.  They simply have the best thing going other than FIOS.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »
My CenturyLink is 40mb, and my household is now Comcast free.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:33:32 PM »
I went the Verizon route. Since I more of a vagabond there doesn't seem much point to pay for something I'm not using. Definitely not "full entertainment" and definitely not for everyone.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
We have an outside antennae and dvd player for video. Have local phones (Kaplantel) with DSL. Not blazing fast, but is great for us.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson