Author Topic: My admiration for Sir Anthony Hopkins just increased  (Read 725 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
My admiration for Sir Anthony Hopkins just increased
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »
How does a piece of music of this quality - composed by one of the most celebrated actors spanning three generations - go unheard for 50 years? My mind is boggled.

Sir Anthony Hopkins hears waltz he composed 50 years ago for the very first time
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: My admiration for Sir Anthony Hopkins just increased
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
Lovely piece.

Thanks for sharing, IDP.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
How does a piece of music of this quality - composed by one of the most celebrated actors spanning three generations - go unheard for 50 years? My mind is boggled.

Sir Anthony Hopkins hears waltz he composed 50 years ago for the very first time

Great question. And even better piece. Thanks.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
So maybe in a few weeks we will learn that he designed a heart valve or an aircraft guidance system. That guy is amazing.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:49:10 AM »
So maybe in a few weeks we will learn that he designed a heart valve or an aircraft guidance system. That guy is amazing.

It's plain nuts, isn't it? I know that great artists are often great in more than one art - singing, acting, dancing, etc. But first of all, I find this particular piece of music to be not just good, but brilliant. It moved me emotionally unlike a symphonic piece has in recent memory. But mostly, it just blows me away that this has been kept under wraps for 50 years.

Why? Did he not know it was good? Did he not care? Was he unconfident? Who convinced him to share it? Or did he just decide one day to share it?

I don't get it. But I like it a lot.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:05:07 AM »
So now we know who the real "Most Interesting Man in the World" really is!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.