Author Topic: RIP AC/DC  (Read 1678 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
RIP AC/DC
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »
http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com/2014/04/rip-acdc-1973-2014.html

AC/DC are ending their 41 year career on a terribly sad note.

Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour, 40 huge shows across the globe.

More than a month ago, founding member, rhythm guitarist, co-producer and co-songwriter Malcolm Young had a stroke, which left a blood clot on his brain.

When AC/DC reunited at the start of April to begin a month of rehearsals, in the lead-up to new album recording sessions, Malcolm discovered he couldn't play. At least, he couldn't play like he used to play.

Nothing has been officially confirmed, as of this writing, but friends and family members have been discussing what happened to Malcolm for the past couple of weeks. The blood clot, resulting from the stroke, is believed to be why Malcolm couldn't keep working.

Although friends have described Malcolm's condition as serious, it doesn't mean he won't recover. People do get better after strokes, and people do recover lost skills.

But friends and family of band members believe the decision was made last week to call it quits.

I didn't care for all of their music, the ones I liked REALLY kicked ass!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YS8YP7mtNss
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: RIP AC/DC
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »
Ya know, I've been seeing this story bouncing around the web all day, and just about as many debunking it as rumor. I'm taking a wait and see approach before I buy this.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
Ya know, I've been seeing this story bouncing around the web all day, and just about as many debunking it as rumor. I'm taking a wait and see approach before I buy this.

It says the statement could be made Wednesday, so we'll find out soon.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:36 PM »
Strokes suck and Malcom has my sympathy.

That said, does this count as "burn out" or "fade away?" Seems like something in between.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »
Perhaps a burnout and a fade away...

If true I think they are not going to be able to have the band with him, those memory things after strokes (as I am finding out now) do not always bounce back as good as you would like, and the band wouldn't be the same down two originals..

I liked their earlier stuff, still loud and raunchy but bluesier (sp?).
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:38 AM »

If true I think they are not going to be able to have the band with him, those memory things after strokes (as I am finding out now) do not always bounce back as good as you would like, and the band wouldn't be the same down two originals..

I saw them live in '88 when Malcolm was in rehab. They had their nephew Stevie Young fill in for him. You couldn't tell the difference. He even looked the same.

That's the thing with music as simple as ACDC. The only identifying style comes from Angus and Brian. The rest of the guys are all plug-n-play. They could get almost anybody to replace Malcolm if they were motivated to continue.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:45:59 AM »

I saw them live in '88 when Malcolm was in rehab. They had their nephew Stevie Young fill in for him. You couldn't tell the difference. He even looked the same.

That's the thing with music as simple as ACDC. The only identifying style comes from Angus and Brian. The rest of the guys are all plug-n-play. They could get almost anybody to replace Malcolm if they were motivated to continue.

I would defer to your musical expertise and hope that that would in fact be the outcome.  I didn't know that about the '88 fill in, was that at the Met Center in June?  I think I had a buddy in the wasted room one of those nights!  Good concert as I recall.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »
ACDC's Brian Johnson: Rumors of retirement are untrue

Of course that would be said, even if a final decision has not been made...and what might get cut for a new album let alone scheduled for a tour is still up in the air.

To be continued...

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »
Sounds to me that Malcolm really did have a stroke.

They could get almost anybody to replace Malcolm if they were motivated to continue.

On stage, sure.  In the studio, probably not.  A lot of memorable riffs came from Malcolm's brain.  That's his contribution to the band.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »
Sounds to me that Malcolm really did have a stroke.

They could get almost anybody to replace Malcolm if they were motivated to continue.

On stage, sure.  In the studio, probably not.  A lot of memorable riffs came from Malcolm's brain.  That's his contribution to the band.

Yeah, that's true. I was speaking from the live performance standpoint.

ETA: But then again, ACDC hasn't really produced a memorable song or riff for quite some time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:07:09 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson