Author Topic: NC Republican candidates for Senate (Hagan's seat) and Judiciary per GRNC  (Read 1054 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
GRNC, as in Grass Roots North Carolina, our 2A rights group.

As I am a member, per the following email:

"Why did the NRA-PVF endorse Thom Tillis while GRNC-PVF recommends Greg Brannon?"

... GRNC does not make "deals" for candidate evaluations, nor does GRNC-PVF advocate the likely winner in the interest of inflating our "win" ratio. Unfortunately, the NRA does both, including having a so-called "friendly incumbent" policy which favors a supposedly pro-gun (but often mediocre) incumbent against a superior challenger.

Although NRA-ILA director Chris Cox claims, “As Speaker of the North Carolina General Assembly, Thom was instrumental in passing two of the most comprehensive pro-gun reforms in state history,” in reality the NC Senate under President Pro Tem Phil Berger did the heavy lifting on House Bill 937 and, to a large extent, HB 650, the two reforms in question.

In early 2013, Speaker Tillis caused restaurant carry to be stripped from HB 17, passing a gutless bill out of committee and nearly triggering a floor fight from his own caucus, which uniformly supported restaurant carry. Only under mounting pressure from both GRNC and from within the Republican caucus did he finally relent and have Representatives Jacqueline Schaffer and Justin Burr draft HB 937, which in its original, mild form expanded concealed carry only to restaurants and within closed compartments of locked motor vehicles at institutions of higher learning.

Only once the bill left the House did the Senate turn it into (more than) what we have today. Thanks in large part to Sen. Berger and Judiciary Chairman Buck Newton, the Senate version dramatically expanded concealed carry to include more areas of municipal parks, all public educational institutions, parades and funerals, state government parking lots, and more.

In particular, the Senate version of HB 937 included repeal of our archaic, Jim Crow-era pistol purchase permit law -- a law The Charlotte Observer found actually allows felons to retain previously issued permits. Under pressure from the NC Sheriffs' Association and the Governor, however, Tillis refused to simply concur with the Senate version, insisting the bill go to a conference committee to strip the measure.

Tillis' insistence on a conference committee nearly killed the bill. Only under significant pressure from GRNC and others, and after negotiations weakened purchase permit reform, did the Speaker move the bill -- and then only a few days before adjournment of the session.
Without the conference committee recommendation, the bill would technically have remained alive for the 2014 session. But in reality, politicians would have refused to move it in an election year, just as they did previous restaurant carry legislation.

Did Tillis move the bill? Yes, albeit reluctantly. Would he be better for gun rights than Kay Hagan? Most likely. But is he a Second Amendment hero? As Hertz is fond of saying, "Not exactly."

"Why did GRNC-PVF recommend Greg Brannon over Mark Harris?"

Mark Harris is an honorable gentleman who would make a fine U.S. Senator. Unfortunately, trailing Tillis and Brannon in both the polls and fundraising, he is also being used by "mainstream" Republicans to divide the conservative vote and assure Tillis the nomination.

The GOP comprises three factions: Centrist "Country Club Republicans," religious conservatives, and libertarians. Faced with Tea Party challengers, "mainstreamers" like Karl Rove (who supports Tillis) are finding novel ways to retain their death grip on power. Perhaps most telling, former Congressman and GOP chairman Robin Hayes endorsed Harris even when his fundraising was at pathetic levels. And why is that telling? Because Hayes is good friends with Tillis.

Having spoken with Harris, I believe he is sincere when he says dividing conservatives is neither the intent of the campaign (and its supporters) nor its practical impact. Unfortunately, being sincere does not make one correct. Never forget that in past presidential races, Ralph Nader's biggest contributors were Republicans.

"Why did GRNC-PVF recommend Jeanette Doran for NC Supreme Court Associate Justice?"

With a 3-way primary and a total of seven statewide judicial elections this year, it is critical that gun voters ensure gains made by the General Assembly aren't negated by liberal judges, especially in the NC Supreme Court. Accordingly, we created the GRNC-PVF Judicial Evaluation Project, which will make recommendations in all of those races.

Unfortunately, judges lack voting records and are limited by judicial impartiality in their ability to answer surveys. Accordingly, we used interviews and outreach to conservative lawyers to arrive at the recommendation. Eric Levinson is a good alternative in the 3-way primary and GRNC-PVF will support him if he advances to the General Election. But in the primary, gun voters can only choose one candidate. Evidence indicates that Jeanette Doran is a strict constitutionalist most likely to support the Second Amendment.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Thanks for posting this.  Very good info.  I remember the HB 937 issues well.  I was in contact with my state rep over the NC Sheriffs Association and their insistence on retaining our indeed archaic pistol purchase permitting system.  I have noticed in following posts over at places like Sipsey Street Irregulars and Western Rifle Shooters that the Sheriffs Association of every state is like this.  They reek of the "only ones" mindset.  I also believe, and pointed this out in correspondence with my state rep, that the Sheriffs Assocation's opposition was also likely motivated by the desire to keep the fee based permitting for revenue purposes.

I am glad the bill passed, but it still irks me that we could have had a stronger bill without this damn circular firing squad.  I also have a deservedly low opinion of the NC Sheriffs Association over this.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
I am a Brannon supporter, though I am also subscribed to Harris, who is an acceptable alternative. My fear about Brannon is his rigged loss of the court case will be enough fodder for Hagan to smear him. But, I think he can over come it if he is as smart as he appears.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
He'll overcome it, despite smears, if he wins enough votes.  That's in our hands.  A word to the wise.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
We have to hold Tillis under 40% to gain the run-off.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
... GRNC does not make "deals" for candidate evaluations, nor does GRNC-PVF advocate the likely winner in the interest of inflating our "win" ratio. Unfortunately, the NRA does both, including having a so-called "friendly incumbent" policy which favors a supposedly pro-gun (but often mediocre) incumbent against a superior challenger.

And THAT is why I quit supporting the NRA.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!

They do have a habit of screwing us over...much like the GOP...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero

Same asshats also supported Harry Reid in and every re-election bid. Screw them.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Same asshats also supported Harry Reid in and every re-election bid. Screw them.

Funny you mention that.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39340.html

Conservatives say there’s a clear political calculation at work: If Reid loses, he’s almost certain to be succeeded as majority leader by a fierce gun-control advocate, either Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin or New York Sen. Chuck Schumer.

The NRA isn't even denying this line of reasoning but says it hasn’t made a decision about whether to endorse Reid.

Hadn't made a decision? Anyone with a brain should be able to call that one.

First, Reid has a fairly favorable lifetime rating from the NRA. And then there’s the $61 million for the Clark County Shooting Park, earmarked by Reid, which led Wayne LaPierre, chief executive officer of the National Rifle Association, to call Reid “a true champion” of the Second Amendment at an event commemorating the opening of the 2,900-acre park in April.

Just a slight of hand while he takes away all the rest of our freedoms. ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Any more of this Machiavellian realpolitik pragmatic Rovian bullsh*t and I swear bodies are gonna start dropping!   ::pullhair::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.