Author Topic: Long Term Coffee Storage  (Read 2341 times)

Offline michelleo

Long Term Coffee Storage
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
I just placed an order at healthyharvest.com who sells canned green Costa Rican coffee beans.

Here's their claim:
Green Coffee beans have not been roasted yet, so you can roast them yourself when you are ready to enjoy them.
Since the bean is not cracked yet, the shelf life is many years longer than roasted or ground coffee.
Because these are canned with oxygen absorbers and food-grade desiccant packs, you can expect these to stay fresh for 20+ years.

If you are very particular about the kind of bean you drink, here's a source for all sorts of different green coffee beans you can buy by the pound, instructions for home roasting, and roasters: coffeebeancorral.com

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Long Term Coffee Storage
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »
Being new to this I have to ask how long does pre groung and vaccum packed last?Like Maxwell house.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »

Folgers, one year after expiration date, will require a little more to make the brew.
For example, if one used a tad less than a tbs per cup he would need to use a level tbs.
Rating the quality of fresh at 100% the out of date would be about 90%.
Hills Bros., that is packed in metal cans will last at least two extra years. (this may be because it is a little stronger)

All information is anecdotal no guarantees expressed or implied.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
Anecdotal story I saw: someone left a Starbucks bag of roasted whole beans in her pantry over 2 years by mistake.  It still tasted good. 

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »

Folgers, one year after expiration date, will require a little more to make the brew.
For example, if one used a tad less than a tbs per cup he would need to use a level tbs.
Rating the quality of fresh at 100% the out of date would be about 90%.
Hills Bros., that is packed in metal cans will last at least two extra years. (this may be because it is a little stronger)

All information is anecdotal no guarantees expressed or implied.

If you have room in your already full deep-freezer double (maybe triple) the time!
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow