Author Topic: The constant drumbeat of the Tiny-Home  (Read 31011 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The constant drumbeat of the Tiny-Home
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »
And so on

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/us/live-in-boxes-in-oakland-redefine-housing-squeeze.html?_r=0

Uhh huh...San Franstupid...I bet I know where this is going...

"These two improvised housing arrangements have emerged in an industrial pocket of Oakland where the median rent has gone up by 20 percent over the past year. One, in a warehouse, is called Containertopia, a community of young people who have set up a village of 160-square-foot shipping containers like ones used in the Port of Oakland. Each resident pays $600 a month to live in a container, which can be modified with things like insulation, glass doors, electrical outlets, solar panels and a self-contained shower and toilet."

Yeah, that was too easy.

And as soon as the ever-present and growing population of bangers, community organizers, illegals, dopers etc move in on this action..."Containertopia" will just be another slum area.  After all, they can't DENY anybody fair housing, that'd be wrong, racist, un-pc, anti-diversity and contra-multi-culti!!!

(snort!!!)

And this -

"Mr. Kloehn has made about 40 of the cheerily painted rolling boxes, coaxing people to leave their cardboard or tarp shanties on the streets."

Well, sheeeeeit!  If they're painted "cheerily"...

::hysterical::

And hey, where are their "This dumbass dwelling bans guns!" signs at?  They want to be free of violence, right?  Do the right thing then, people!

::laughonfloor::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2015, 07:53:32 PM »
  We look at them as a last resort and they see it as their only choice.   You have to have goals in life and it shows you how they think.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
I have an idea for a tiny home for the Progs....

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »
Perfect.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2015, 07:43:23 AM »
Still, seems like too much metal to waste on something so useless...

Can't a Zip-lock suffice? 

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »
May I be so bold as to inform the uninformed as to what a "self-contained" toilet and shower is?

It's like a mini-porta-pottie. IOW, your grey water and black water is saved for you in some sort of container. IT'S NOT CONNECTED TO THE CITY SEWER. So when it's full, you have to 'port' it out. In the container. And then dump said waste into an appropriate waste container.

You are welcome.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
Yeah, good catch.

So, where are these clowns going to toss that stuff?   ::speechless::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
Yeah, good catch.

So, where are these clowns going to toss that stuff?   ::speechless::

Being they're homeless, I'd avoid parks from now on.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
May I be so bold as to inform the uninformed as to what a "self-contained" toilet and shower is?

It's like a mini-porta-pottie. IOW, your grey water and black water is saved for you in some sort of container. IT'S NOT CONNECTED TO THE CITY SEWER. So when it's full, you have to 'port' it out. In the container. And then dump said waste into an appropriate waste container.

You are welcome.

Having done repairs on RV holding tanks and knowing a bit about the engineering involved I seriously doubt that any of these Insta-Ghettos are even remotely self-contained - unless you consider a 2nd-hand orange juice container under the sink to be a holding tank.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
From "Containertopia" to "Obamaville" in no time at all...

I hope they do a reality show on this...watching these effer's implode could be hilarious...

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »
it will be like the scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when cousin Eddie is dumping his tank into the storm sewer.   "sh*tters full"  he saids to the neighbor

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2015, 07:25:37 AM »
Another one extolling the saintly virtues of the tiny home, downsizing, and shedding the oppression of worldly possessions. Not having stuff is TRUE freedom, dontchyaknow.

850 sq.ft. is a far cry from the 200 sq.ft. homes we usually see highlighted, but still, the theme is the same. The American Dream of building a life of comfort is actually a prison, and living "down" to expectations is true freedom, according to these people.

How a Family of 5 Gained 'Shocking' Freedom by Downsizing to a 850 Square-Foot Home
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:29:46 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
What? she went back to work and decided it wasn't worth it?  She wanted a smaller home because she wanted to stay home with the children? Shouldn't we persecute her for being off narrative?

All the kids in one bedroom? They will love that. Especially as they get older. Adopted daughter is out of there ( shes eighteen) but I am sure enjoys being in the bedroom with the baby.. And  what is your brilliant plan for when your younger son and daughter shouldn't be sharing a room? And using the bathroom requires a "creative do or die attitude"?  Ouch. But hey, she feels sorry for people who dot live her way, because  obliviously her choices should be for everyone.

However, 850 it at least a reasonable size.  It can be done, and millions of settlers did it with larger families. You can make it work (with that "creative do or die attitude")   but there is a reason that "American Dream" tract homes were 3 bedrooms and 1200 square feet. Its the minimum size comfortable space for a family for long term use. . Parents in one bedroom. Girls in the Second. Boys in the third.  These people will be forced to either turn the living room into a couch based bedroom for the boy,  or move to another home.  Obviously you can do that. But it becomes more work and the boy will no longer have his "own space" anywhere in the home.  He will probably pitch a tent in the yard and take to sleeping out there at some point.

Having an extra Bath is extremely convenient, as is having a second family room in my opinion - and it needn't be large. Just a place to retreat to away from everyone else.  My TEOTWAWKI place is 1600 square feet.  3 bedrooms, a small office off the master ( and connected to the main house)  and a large open area connecting dinging room, kitchen and living room.  I did enjoy being around the family more in that home - and often did my work at the kitchen table along with the children doing their homeschooling - so some of what this woman is talking about is true. And we had Michelle's mother staying with us for a while too ( and son slept on the couch in the "office/2nd living room) It was all pretty comfortable.

But anything under that and you are probably giving up some quality of life to make it work. It may be "worth it" -- but the narrative keeps pushing such extremes.  200sq feet for individuals or couples.  800 sq ft for a "family" . Agenda 21 is just written all over it.

Hulu had that "Tiny" documentary about the Hartsel Tiny Home ( built in boulder, moved to Hartsel, moved back again and the Hartsel land went up for tax sale)
It was pretty much what one would expect.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:19:37 PM by Weisshaupt »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »
It's my grandparent's sized home.  I agree, smart move ditching the debt for something still highly livable.  You don't need the McMansion at 25.  It will pay off later in life.  I myself stayed in smaller homes than I could, to rid myself of debt quicker.   I'm going Galt at 52, next year.

I work with a guy in his 60s with the big home (still mortgaged) and the cabin (mortgage).  I can't think of a more pathetic position to be in life in the 60s than still heavily in debt.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2015, 02:27:33 PM »
They are not very bright people. So......sold house for 305K, paid 100K  for the little house, spent the addl 50K in improvements.....and now it carries a value of 275K.

Soooo.....I'd sell the tiny home for 275K and buy something small....but with an extra bedroom and bathroom. Probably would be mortgage free and I really don't think an addl bathroom and a 12x12 addl bedroom will spoil all their new found "freedom".
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »
 275k for a house half the size of their original home that brought only 305K   nice math.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2016, 05:42:34 PM »
Quiters!

Sellouts!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
You can't possibly invent the schizophrenic mind of the Left. Now the Tiny HomeĀ® is no longer a moral good; it is appropriation of the culture of poverty.  ::facepalm::

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/04/20/sjw-turns-against-tiny-house-movement-as-poverty-appropriation/
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »
 ::laughonfloor::

MSU & Butthurt collide! 

::hysterical::