Author Topic: The constant drumbeat of the Tiny-Home  (Read 30943 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The constant drumbeat of the Tiny-Home
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
Oh, and don't forget to read the comments on the "what we are doing now" page

You would think that would have exposed them for the posers they are, right?

No.

Most are like this:

Dear Christopher and Merete,

What an inspiring, moving,beautiful piece in the story of TINY. You demonstrate acutely what spontaneous thought and planned action can create, and also how profoundly you are each living your lives.

reality catches up with one

I don’t know if you remember us or not, but we are that random couple that met up with you guys for coffee in Boulder about 2 summers ago for my (now) husband’s birthday.

Thanks for your honesty about the complexities involved in building a tiny house :) We are also experiencing many of those same interesting life changes as we continue to build our tiny house. Turns out we actually have to make a living doing SOMETHING, and sometimes that requires decisions that are… well, complicated :)

Hope to catch up again someday with you guys!

Another wants to mooch

delightfool

So love the idea of a tiny house. What are the chances of house sitting, while you are in NY & LA? Looking for an opportunity to experience whether I could live so small? Will have to move and looking at a tiny house as a chose.
- kod

One gets it, realizing reality isn't living up to expectations.

Bryan Chapman

I LOVED this movie. I wish I had the courage to move into a tiny house. Again, I LOVED this movie!

However, I’m sorry I read this article. It was crushing, in many ways.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
   Why do they call it a house?? At best it's a shed or a small hunting cabin.House never.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »
Is this all it takes for liberals to send money? Hey Hon, go get our camera. We are gonna build a "chalet" made out of recycled bottles and straw. We will put it on eco friendly land, attach a solar panel to it and in the end, auction it off and give the money to fight hunger. ( hey, our hunger)

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
I love this one.

We thank you for inspiring my husband and I. We’ve been living in apartments with roomates and living with our parents from both sides of the family since we’ve been married for four years. It’s been rough and we were desperate for change and a place we can call our own. So we recently tried buying a house, but couldn’t cough up the money for a down payment and such, so we were bummed and planned to budget better to buy a house a year from now. However, when we watched Tiny together last night we both knew this is exactly what we wanted. We both don’t need much to live. Just each other and a roof over our head. Thank you guys for showing us the guidance we needed.

We've been moochers for 4 yrs, but you've shown us how to do it a lifetime.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »
   Why do they call it a house?? At best it's a shed or a small hunting cabin.House never.

yes and really such a thing isn't uncommon in the Hartsel area- because it is remote and people do use them as little getaway places -  only this couple had the nerve to pretend they would live there full time. And then never did. Had they any serious intent to stay there year round they would have dug a well, and installed plumbing, because going outside in -10 below to get water out of a tank  that is frozen over, just isn't going to happen. Just more proof they were cynically making up a story for themselves...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
It just gets better and better - There is one Property in Park County listed as owned by a Christopher Smith.  It it 5 Acres and the home address for the owner is in the city of Boulder.   

The address?

489 MOONBEAM DR. (if you want to see it in Google Maps or Bing you need to use Lake George as the city, NOT Hartsel.. )

Moonbeam.
No Kidding.

The yearly taxes are a whopping $100. Does he pay them?

Of course not

877 014
28952 R $241.93*
SMITH CHRISTOPHER C
MOONBEAM DR 489 HRT
T11 R74 S09 NW4
SOUTH PARK RANCHES
FILING 58 LOT 25

So that is at least 2 years in a row he hasn't paid taxes - that list was compiled in Oct 2013.  In theory someone could have bought the tax lien against the property at auction and in 3 years they will own it, all because Chris isn't smart enough to pay his taxes.  If I see it still on the list this year ( Liens not bought at auction are re-auctioned the next year, providing taxes still haven't been paid)   I may have to  go up there and gamble a few hundred just to make this liberal cry. Actually they are paying 10%  if he does pay his taxes, so as long as I don't pay over 10%  in premium at auction  it gets paid back..  of course for 3 years I have to either pay the taxes or attempt to acquire  the new liens --so  I may end up out $300 --  or I may get a property he spent 16,000 for. Liberal tears are so sweet.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:37:22 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
And I thought they considered taxes the highest form of patriotism! Remember all those "Raise my taxes!" signs the teacher's union rent-a-mob was brandishing?

Other People's Money.  Other People's Property.  Other People's Liberty.  Other People's Blood.  Other People's Sweat.  Other People's Tears.

It's gonna be their blood and their tears when this crap finally goes extracurricular.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »
If I see it still on the list this year ( Liens not bought at auction are re-auctioned the next year, providing taxes still haven't been paid)   I may have to  go up there and gamble a few hundred just to make this liberal cry.

Will you be expanding the tiny house so that it will be useful for something - like a rabbit hutch?  ;D

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 06:59:30 AM »
If I see it still on the list this year ( Liens not bought at auction are re-auctioned the next year, providing taxes still haven't been paid)   I may have to  go up there and gamble a few hundred just to make this liberal cry.

Will you be expanding the tiny house so that it will be useful for something - like a rabbit hutch?  ;D

Or an outhouse.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
It just gets better and better - There is one Property in Park County listed as owned by a Christopher Smith.  It it 5 Acres and the home address for the owner is in the city of Boulder.   

The address?

489 MOONBEAM DR. (if you want to see it in Google Maps or Bing you need to use Lake George as the city, NOT Hartsel.. )

Moonbeam.
No Kidding.

The yearly taxes are a whopping $100. Does he pay them?

Of course not

877 014
28952 R $241.93*
SMITH CHRISTOPHER C
MOONBEAM DR 489 HRT
T11 R74 S09 NW4
SOUTH PARK RANCHES
FILING 58 LOT 25

So that is at least 2 years in a row he hasn't paid taxes - that list was compiled in Oct 2013.  In theory someone could have bought the tax lien against the property at auction and in 3 years they will own it, all because Chris isn't smart enough to pay his taxes.  If I see it still on the list this year ( Liens not bought at auction are re-auctioned the next year, providing taxes still haven't been paid)   I may have to  go up there and gamble a few hundred just to make this liberal cry. Actually they are paying 10%  if he does pay his taxes, so as long as I don't pay over 10%  in premium at auction  it gets paid back..  of course for 3 years I have to either pay the taxes or attempt to acquire  the new liens --so  I may end up out $300 --  or I may get a property he spent 16,000 K for. Liberal tears are so sweet.

Send in the SWAT, burn that fancy sh*thouse to the ground!

(It's what would happen to us, right?  Maybe after a foreclosure process and if we still squatted there...)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »

The tiny house is in Boulder.. and since it has axles wouldn't be considered part of the taxation in Park county anyway.  Seriously, I am only in this to make him cry because he is the shameless author of pro-agenda 21 propaganda.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 11:35:05 AM »
Boulder!  Meh!  The Berkley of the Rockies!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »
Whack that Drum

Every Week - boom boom boom

Local governments have taken notice. New York City, for one, has waved its minimum 400-square-foot housing requirement for a pilot project with units between 250 and 370 square feet. Last year, Pocket Living -- which makes 400-square-foot units for those who earn less than around $100,000 a year -- received roughly $36 million from the mayor of London to build approximately 400 units for first-time home buyers. Small units are seen as an affordable way to make cities accessible to more people.

If you earn $100,000 a year, you are in the top 92 % of individual wage earners, and in the top 78%  of households, and you are going to live in a  300 Square foot place, rather than say.. move to Dallas where $150,000 buys a a 3000 sq foot home on a couple of acres? Oh right..

But it was the design, she says, that she sealed the deal. The tiny space -- all enamel-like white cupboards, foldout tables, and wall-mounted design hacks -- was not only smart, but stylish.

"I wanted something that looked pretty modern. The use of space was really good," she says. "I didn't feel like I was living in a jail cell or anything."

Her friends marveled. Her place was officially cool.

Maxwell Ryan, the New York-based founder of home design website Apartment Therapy, isn't surprised that micro-condo developers are pushing design and utility as their major selling points. To him, it shows an awareness of how generational priorities have shifted.

"As a culture, there's been a renaissance of interest in design -- design as a lifestyle choice, design as a way of life," he says.

Ryan believes young people will happily accept smaller spaces, but only if done properly.

Because you can't possibly live elsewhere and be seen as cool can you. Certainly not Dallas.

A number of elements, like a bathtub and oven, have been left out. But even these omissions are meant to cater to the millennial lifestyle.

"This generation wants to live within the city," says Peter Clewes, of architectsAlliance.

When they aren't working, they're eating out with friends and enjoying city life, not spending time at home. For a unit that offers elegance on a budget (Smart House units, which have yet to go on sale, will likely start at $285,000), Clewes thinks they'll be willing to make a few sacrifices.

Got that? $285K.  Assuming a 20% down ( which is assuming a lot) that is around $900 a month on a 30 year  loan, and no, you don't have an OVEN. My first house cost me $230K in Denver's inflated market, and it was 1800 finished square feet, with a 900 sq ft unfinished basement, a 2 car garage and a suburban postage stamp of a lawn (600 sq feet)  so they are sacrificing and paying more to do it- why?  So they can be cool. Oh and moral

"Five years ago, if you suggested units of 258 square feet, people would say that's mean, that's immoral. But that's starting to flip the other way," Clewes says. "It's become a moral cause. We need all (income) groups to make a healthy city."

Yeah. Well someone's bank account will be healthy anyway.

For Wong, the initial novelty of micro-living wore off as time wore on. She started to resent not having space for her screen-printing and acrylics projects, or an oven for cooking. When it came time to renew her yearlong lease, she decided to move to a 620-square-foot unit across the street, even though it cost almost $400 more per month.

Today, Wong lives with her boyfriend in a 900-square-foot apartment in East Vancouver. Now 35, she's more focused on settling down. But she doesn't regret giving micro-condos a try.

"My lifestyle has changed a lot since I lived down there," she says. "I liked being there at the time, but I like the space I have now."

Hmm, I am sensing a pattern among those who actually try fall for  this scam

Be sure to check out the videos at the link.. they may be more appalling than the actual article.
Especially this: http://www.scadpad.com/
Yes you too can have a home that is parked in a disused parking garage.. scampad is more like it. 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:11:26 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
Too bad Wong won't be able to use the money she wasted on a pretentious phone booth on the fertility treatments she will no doubt be seeking next.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
Hey, I think it is immoral to charge a yuppie 285K for 400 sq ft.  It should be 385K.

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
Yah, saw that, W., thought of you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
Boom Boom Boom

They think that is a new idea?

A little history lesson.   In the early part of the 20th century,   when cars began to be used in large numbers,  people started taking road trips.    They needed places to stay.   Business people started setting up road side "cabins"  along highways.    Sometimes there would be a restaurant closest to the road and behind it a u shaped road with a dozen or so little cabins (sometimes even a garage included).   One in the town I grew up actually managed to survive into the early 1990's before the real estate became too valuable.    They are often called motor courts.   Motels and trailer parks developed out of the idea of those early highway hotels. 

They were all over the country and a handful (mostly in rural areas) still exist.   

As hotel rooms they are probably pretty nice.   Wouldn't want to live full time in one.  Many of those motor courts became full time homes for people.  That is another reason why many of them no longer exist because they became major problems for many communities and the were often forced to close. 

Ironically our long time (bought by great grandpa in 1920) family cottage was once part of a lakeside version of the highway cabin.   Unfortunately for the builder of that resort,  the state ended up routing the highway on the other side of the lake,  making it a little too hard to find.    So it failed quickly.  I think the family paid about $500 bucks for it,  we once got an offer at the height the last boom for over a million.   

Even though we have had it nearly a hundred years now,  no one, ever, considered living in it full time.   I think my great uncle stayed a few months in the 1930's when he was out of work.   He actually installed all the beautiful redwood paneling that remains to this day.  I love the cottage but I sure wouldn't want to live there. 

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »
Just dropped my boys off in their tiny college dorm yesterday.

No f***ing thank-you. There's a reason you live in a dorm for a year or two and then never do it again.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
Just dropped my boys off in their tiny college dorm yesterday.

No f***ing thank-you. There's a reason you live in a dorm for a year or two and then never do it again.

Exactly!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."