Author Topic: The constant drumbeat of the Tiny-Home  (Read 30958 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The constant drumbeat of the Tiny-Home
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2017, 05:32:59 AM »
She'll never know how far into self parody she's sunk.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
No matter what you do, someone on the Left is going to politicize it and attack you. So just go on doing your thing -- let them be miserable and move on.

Truer words have never been spoken.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »
  I didn't work all my life to end up in a glorified shed.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 07:00:10 AM »
  I didn't work all my life to end up in a glorified shed.

Exactly.

A shed is for storing stuff...or putting wood into and taking wayward children to for a whuppin'!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »
 ::facepalm::

Just when you thought this crap was dying out...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5271411/8ft-concrete-tubes-solution-housing-crisis.html

Sadly, I could see Progs going bonkers over this...they already think like insects, might just as well keep running with it...

::unknowncomic::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
  So you work hard and that is what you have to show for it??    Prison cells might be bigger.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
The window a/c units are a nice touch. ::thumbsup::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
Why . . . them units be but just a li'l bit bigguh then a sh*thole. With all the Febreeze y'all be using in there...you're gonna eff up the ozone!
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
Why . . . them units be but just a li'l bit bigguh then a sh*thole. With all the Febreeze y'all be using in there...you're gonna eff up the ozone!

And make everything in there sticky.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »
Ooh-ooh! Choose me! I wanna live in a drainpipe!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »

S.....H.....I.....T.....H.....O.....L.....E..... :o......L.....A.....N.....E
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2018, 06:47:47 AM »
Bloody hamsters! 

::laughonfloor::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
It would do nothing about Hong Kong as you can't really build up, with those things.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2018, 06:38:26 AM »
Whatchya talkin' 'bout, Willis?  Pablo got 4 levels already...just start wider!

::laughonfloor::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2021, 08:09:29 AM »
No!!!!!

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ikea-now-selling-tiny-homes-broke-millennials

but look at the marketing-- especially take the Sustainability quiz..

https://ikea-vc-2020.herokuapp.com/index.html

Okay so.. cost?
What size water tank?
Grey Water tank?
Fridge?
Heater?
R value of the walls?
Where is the clothes washer? Or does it comes with some rocks to beat them against?
Soalr  Panel size, battery size?
Back up generator size?

Oh never mind - you are just going to park this in your friend's yard and then use his house , his power, his water, and his electricity ,aren't you?

The company that build these for them  at least give some of this information but the specific Ikea model isn't covered

https://www.escapetraveler.net/

Oh look the heater is LP -  isn't that a fossil fuel? 16 Gallon LP water heater.. the upgrade models offer LP ranges and electric generators too.
And its 9000 lbs - make sure you get a biodiesel truck to move it around.

Or you could just get a all season travel trailer for around 35K and use that.

Or , hey, here is an idea ,  buy a bit of land and build a FREAKING HOUSE .  Western settlers did not have a lot of time or resources or power tools , but most of them built log cabins bigger than this.. and continued to add on to them as conditions permitted. 

Seriously , something like this:  http://www.solargon.com/

I used this company for my battery shed in the mountains-- I would not hesitate to build a house out of these.. octagon shaped or not. Its about the same price as stick building but the R-values are nuts and to people can build one of these in a weekend,  Seriously  that 30' model at 600 square feet ,  it a decent single person habitation, and one of these kits runs around 35K ( last time I priced them)   - stick a wood fireplace and a small LP furnace in it , a 4000 watt PV system  and get your well and septic and  you are probably done for under $100K

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »
Awesome, love the "use friends house" and "build a freaking house" lines, I never tire of using similar.

Solargon looks interesting...but all would need a small wood burning...

In winter, temperature difference between inside and out is commonly 35 degrees or more, even with no internal heat source.

Well, if it is one of those nights that is -20...+15 isn't exactly comfy...+35 not so much either...so there can never be anything true 24/7/365 green...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2021, 10:44:38 AM »
Awesome, love the "use friends house" and "build a freaking house" lines, I never tire of using similar.

Solargon looks interesting...but all would need a small wood burning...

In winter, temperature difference between inside and out is commonly 35 degrees or more, even with no internal heat source.

Well, if it is one of those nights that is -20...+15 isn't exactly comfy...+35 not so much either...so there can never be anything true 24/7/365 green...

If I was developing a bit of land I would probably have these ICS guys just provide a 1600 square foot rectangular model very similar to my current double wide, but with the passive solar design with windows on the one side.. something like this :

You have to plan plumbing and electrical up front for any outer wall stuff , but then you just fish the wires, connect the pipes  and you are done. Besides in a properly designed home plumbing runs in interior walls as often a possible.   With R values in the 40's its amazing how little heat or A/C you need.  And yeah  in -20  you need something.. but its only 700 Sqft of space. and both the floor and the roof are insulated the same way-- the point is at 0 F, you don't need anything to keep the pipes from freezing.  But a small pellet stove is probably enough to keep it toasty -  When I built my solar shed they said prices run  between $6 and $13  per square foot depending on the structure.  So if those prices held  a passive solar building my size would be 21K or so --  or allow some inflation for the last 10 years.  say it was 30K  or even 35K.. That is a decent size home, you have the vault ceiling for the passive solar which also provides storage/loft space -  so you are probably looking at $80K to finish the house --  One could do a Insulated concrete form basement as well and double the size , for  another $20-30K.

Now land costs, well costs, septic costs, PV costs would be on top of that,  but I think you could basically set up a property from scratch for somewhere around $150-180K all in, and it would use very little energy to keep warm or cool ..  Doing the passive floor heating and Solar hot water ( with a hybrid Solar/Propane tank)   would further reduce ongoing fuel costs. This stuff is all very do-able and livable..  And if you wanted to go smaller - like a 700 sq foot thing for one person would still be very comfortable ( my first 1 bedroom apartment was 650 sq feet) and be what?  Around $120K all told?  And that is assuming a good chunk of land, a deep well and an expensive septic. Getting just an acre or less with a shallow well would be under $100K I betcha. But then that wouldn't be "cool"

I swear the whole tiny house aspect vs a camper is more about convicing some sap to put your "nice house" in thier back yard vs trying to get them to let you part your camper there than anything else.. and then  well - your buddy is right  next door and he doesn't mind you  using his shower or his fridge , you know, "just this once"  - Its just another way to leech off of others vs just doing something that really is sustainable , but which you would then be responsible for figuring out... too hard..

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
Yeah I think there is a certain grifter aspect to many but not all such types this is attractive to, not every gen x,y, millennial is that way...

And I agree designs like the above make more sense for those truly off-grid with land to put it on or replace something that is garbage sitting on it...

And depending where you are it is the variance clowns and bldg inspector rodeo that is a pain for most any endeavor...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2021, 12:35:10 PM »
I messed up - its The $6-13 price is for square foot of PANEL...

I seem the remember the kits being way cheaper a decade ago however - I think the 30' was 20K.

It is what it is..  still  best way to go IMHO.

https://tinyhouseblog.com/yurts/solargon-structure%E2%80%99s-yurt-update/

MSRP for the 20? model is $ 22,500

Included:

All walls R28 and roof panels R42, micro-lam headers, wall to wall connecters, aircraft grade octagon operable skylight, compression ring w/header, screws for assembly and owner’s assembly manual. Walls cam-lock together in seconds and the typical erection time is 4 to 5 hours.

MSRP for the 30? model is $ 39,900

Included:

All walls R42 and roof panels R42, micro-lam headers, wall to wall connectors, glue-lam super structure and rafters, operable skylight,compression frame w/header and assembly manual. Wall and roof panels cam-lock together and the typical erection time is 2 days.

Some will say that they sound expensive but you save time and money on assembly, very little waste or theft, and no expensive contractor needed. When your home is up you have the walls, roof, insulation, and rough electrical with boxes ready to go for about $55.00 per sq. ft. You then choose the interior and exterior finishing of your choice. An average home will cost about $125 to $150 per sq. ft. to finish so Solargons are very competitive.

https://innovaecobuildingsystem.com/sip-building-kit-cost/

But is looks like you are averaging between $40-60 per square foot of dwelling space. SO my 1600 square foot home would be in the $80-90K range.. so  maybe $200,000 all told.. which is still not that much.. at current rates its $1000 a month mortgage if you finance 100%  of it -  seems pretty stupid to spend $50K on a "tiny home"  vs getting a Solargon with 5X the room.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2021, 01:18:13 PM »
And I agree designs like the above make more sense for those truly off-grid with land to put it on or replace something that is garbage sitting on it...
And depending where you are it is the variance clowns and bldg inspector rodeo that is a pain for most any endeavor...

As long as you don't hate the style , they make sense on pretty much any south facing lot.. no reason to spend more on heat if you don't have to..
Some inspectors might have complained about SIP panel construction 10 years ago-- now they just check the box