Author Topic: Police receive grants to target speeders (Indiana)  (Read 2703 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Police receive grants to target speeders (Indiana)
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »
http://www.wthr.com/story/14475522/police-receive-grants-to-target-speeders

INDIANAPOLIS -
Dozens of local law enforcement agencies will receive grants to aggressively target speeding motorists on the state's highways.

The Indiana Criminal Justice Institute awarded the Dangerous Driving Enforcement grants Tuesday to 29 agencies, including the Indiana State Police. The institute says motorists can expect to see a greater police presence on roadways beginning this month as agencies begin to target speeders.

::saywhat::

The ICJI:
Guided by a Board of Trustees representing all components of Indiana's criminal and juvenile justice systems, the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute (ICJI) serves as the state's planning agency for criminal justice, juvenile justice, traffic safety, and victim services. The Institute develops long-range strategies for the effective administration of Indiana's criminal and juvenile justice systems and administers federal and state funds to carry out these strategies.
http://www.in.gov/cji/2337.htm

Why does this strike me as odd?  Don't they already write tickets?  Maybe the key is aggressively?  I thought only the state police covered the highways?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Police receive grants to target speeders (Indiana)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
Where are Indiana's citizens?  They should be upset that bounties have been placed on one class of criminals (if you want to use that word) over another (like perhaps, violent drug-gang type criminals)!  It appears to me it is designed to both drum up added revenue for the state and local governments and divert resources away from activities that this ICJI finds more expensive to them to worry about than offering these grants, and it further ingratiates enforcement agencies into ICJI subservience!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
It appears to me it is designed to .... drum up added revenue for the state and local governments ...

That's exactly what it is . States and munincipalities are finding a quick source of revenue is the aggressive issuance of traffic citations of all kinds and in many cases quadrupling the fines . It's become a real gold mine for them during the current budget crunches around the country . L.A. has become one of the worst offenders with cities like Atlanta and Philadelphia not far behind . The fines in many cases are so high that many middle and lower income offenders find it difficult if not impossible to pay them .

It's almost as if the Evil Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham have returned . So where's Robin Hood when you need him ?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
So where's Robin Hood when you need him ?

Bump!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 06:57:55 PM »
http://www.wthr.com/story/14475522/police-receive-grants-to-target-speeders

INDIANAPOLIS -
Dozens of local law enforcement agencies will receive grants to aggressively target speeding motorists on the state's highways.

The Indiana Criminal Justice Institute awarded the Dangerous Driving Enforcement grants Tuesday to 29 agencies, including the Indiana State Police. The institute says motorists can expect to see a greater police presence on roadways beginning this month as agencies begin to target speeders.

::saywhat::

The ICJI:
Guided by a Board of Trustees representing all components of Indiana's criminal and juvenile justice systems, the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute (ICJI) serves as the state's planning agency for criminal justice, juvenile justice, traffic safety, and victim services. The Institute develops long-range strategies for the effective administration of Indiana's criminal and juvenile justice systems and administers federal and state funds to carry out these strategies.
http://www.in.gov/cji/2337.htm

Why does this strike me as odd?  Don't they already write tickets?  Maybe the key is aggressively?  I thought only the state police covered the highways?

So up till now they've just been fooling with writing tickets??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »

Fox did a thing on this.  No quoting.  There are $$Million Dollar$$ intersections in the US.  Also if you are speeding a certain amount over the limit the fine is double or quadrupled.

This is so much easier than catching real crooks.  They should be ashamed.

Son let me see that cell phone. No sir. Well Son that's a mighty suspicious response for an innocent person. I'm going to call for back up and we're going to strip this car and find what you are hiding.