Author Topic: Trident II  (Read 778 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Trident II
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »
I wonder...

-How much longer our dominance continues with this and in technology in general?

-How much longer adversaries remain less adept?

-And if it matters too much anyway given the "close enough" nature of nuclear devices?

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hticbm/articles/20140508.aspx
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: Trident II
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »
Hard to say. 

On the good side,  most new military tech is created by us,  and then stolen by everybody else both "allies" and enemies.   So we have been a "step" ahead in that regard for several decades.   Since it takes a while to steal and reverse engineer our weapon systems and "create" their own versions.   Most of the time those copies are inferior due to material or tech problems they can't engineer their way out of.    For example the Soviet Union never had micro-computer tech or the best high strength metals (like steel).    So their copies were often heavier or couldn't do things that required micro computers.   Thought they got pretty good at making copies of Intel computer processors,  though towards the end I believe they just bought computers on the open world market. 

So if we stop developing new tech,  it will slow overall development as other places will have to do more R&D.   Things may not develop much and current tech may be relevant much longer.    However if another place starts developing on a larger scale, we would be locked out of new tech and  it may be very difficult to get back to the top.   

On the bad side,  our military is very dependent on tech.   And that is growing as people like Obama want fewer and fewer actual people in military uniforms.   Will our military be able to do anything when the tech isn't working?   Hard to say,  most of today's rank and file people probably could,  in 15 years, when those people have been replaced by Obama bots,  not too good.    The military has become far less attractive to our "warrior class" in the last decade due to the policies of the current government.   The next president will have a HR problem to deal with. 

And we no longer meet the enemy on a battlefield and we can't really "invade" a place anymore.  This is a big one.     War is irregular,  guerrilla style (ironically developed by us during our revolution)  no real "front" lines (Korea being the last war with clear front lines) and many times against an enemy that isn't a nation with defined borders.   Armies are always fighting the last war like in all of history,  and it takes time for that rational to go away during the current conflict.   If your like the French,  you don't like change,  and when you finally do it,  you do the wrong thing. 

No one is stupid enough to take us on head on.   Not even the Chinese would even try that.  It would be suicide.  At the moment we seem to be the "suicidal" nation.   Maybe the history books will be writing stories about us someday, wondering why we committed societal suicide,  like how we do with kamikaze pilots of WWII today.  (Interesting note, the Germans had some Kamikaze pilots too, toward the end,  though,  most of those pilots did try to bail out and survive the attack). 

Guerrilla type war wears us down,  in many ways as shown by Vietnam,  Iraq and Afghanistan.   It takes too long making public opinion turn on it.   It's hell on the solders as they are exposed to terror attacks even in "secure" locations.   They have problems with who is the enemy,  as they aren't wearing uniforms most of the time.   Often they don't know until some local they may have known for months or years blows up taking a bunch of people with them. 

We may be able to attack and destroy our enemies without warning with our expensive weapon systems,  but terrorists can too.  Most of the time they are using little tech in the process.    We are far easier to track then they will ever be. 

I don't know where I read it,  but the terror attacks on the trade towers and the pentagon cost less then $600,000 for the terrorists organizations that planned them.   As you can see,  it doesn't take much money to make a huge mess. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
America's main problem is that it is no longer in any meaningful sense a nation. The institutional and cultural Left have been successful in destroying the old concept of a mainline American culture to which immigrants desired assimilation (which meant such things as proudly adopting English as primary language). They have succeeded in replacing it with the new salad bowl concept, where we're just a multitude of mini-nations and various identity groups whose only commonality is the maternal State there to suckle all at its bosom.

Empires -- of conquest or merely commerce -- tend to come and go because the things that bind them together are very ephemeral. Nations are much longer lived, and various incarnations of government may rise and fall among them.

I'm trying to imagine what would happen here if that sort of event that has historically caused people to unify were to happen, i.e. invasion by a foreign power. I can't think of a scenario where we don't have a substantial portion of the population effectively siding with the invader, seeing it as the opportunity to grind an axe, or even as simplistic as "these invaders look like me and the white male power structure owes me anyway".

America is a waning power and I don't see any way that changes. The Left have succeeded in creating an identity mindset and its accompanying grievance industry.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
The long term does look bleak and may not be as far out as we think.  Maybe the Firefly template of a merger isn't so crazy after all, but maybe the window closed as they chose Russia as their bed mates.  Not convinced that is bad for us, but we are doing fine destroying ourselves, all external parties have to do is wait and then be ready to pounce for scavenging opportunities.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.