Author Topic: California Chrome  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
California Chrome
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
Anybody catch the race this past Saturday?

I do what I usually do...not tune in until they call "riders up!", I like to see how they behave from there through the paddock and onto the track and into the gates.

I don't care who you are, this is a heck of a story any way you slice it.

Oldest trainer ever to have a horse win the Derby, only Derby winner he's ever had, and first time back at Churchill Downs since 1955?

Owners who create a winner by only spending $8k on a mare people thought they were a bunch of dumbasses for buying and pairing it with a no-name sire for $2500?  One owner dreams of the colt and that colt is born?  The other owner sees promise in the bloodlines (must be the sire, go back far enough and you see Secretariat, Seatttle Slew and AP Indy) and it pays off?  Form a partnership and call it Dumb Ass Partners and slap DAP and a bucktooth jackass for a logo on your colors?  Defy all odds and beat the pants off big shots like Baffert and Lucas, etc?  First California horse to win the Derby since 1962?

What's not to love?

Hope the horse can capture the Triple Crown, it would be fantastic for horseracing and an even better storybook ending for an already storybook tale.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/california-chrome-wins-140th-running-kentucky-derby-article-1.1778483

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/fine-art-77-oldest-trainer-win-derby-article-1.1778803

http://www.pedigreequery.com/california+chrome
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: California Chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
It's a great story. I love watching the Triple Crown races.
I know nothing of the "sport" part of horseracing.
Trifectas, perfectas and exactas...

But, these are magnificent athletes and I admire their grace and determination and competitiveness.

This horse has a great story and it would be cool if he did win the Triple Crown.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:38:16 AM »
I used to dabble in wagers at the local track and catch the results on simulcast...better at that than betting on the local nags racing live...

The horse was engineered by God to run, it's what they do best and they look awesome doing it.

And the sport has not had a story as good as this one for a long long time.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »
Secretariat?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »
There have been small stories in between, but yes, I cannot think of one as epic or out of left field like this since Big Red.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »
Its always a good story when the "experts"  are proven wrong and the come from nowhere type thing happens.   

Gives hope to the little guy that they are still relevant and they can not only play with the big boys,  they can beat them at their own game too. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
Why that rascal did it again and won the Preakness!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 07:22:24 AM »
Get a load of this...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/18/us/california-chrome-nasal-strips/index.html

...it's like wearing a breath-rite strip for crying out loud!  If the Belmont says no I wouldn't blame the owners from backing out, see what kind of ratings and crowd the track gets then...I just don't see them being that stupid...they have to be trying to gin up attention...like the possibility of a Triple Crown winner for the first time in ages is not interesting enough or something...

::)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
Tied for 4th at Belmont, too bad, still a good story though...made the owners a ton and will still get some good stud fees.