Author Topic: Sen. Ensign Resigning May 5th  (Read 701 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Sen. Ensign Resigning May 5th
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:45:39 PM »
From The Politico...

[blockquote]

Nevada Sen. John Ensign (R) plans to announce Friday he will resign his Senate seat, effective May 3.

Ensign has been under investigation by the Senate Ethics Committee over whether he violated Senate rules during his affair with Cindy Hampton, a former campaign aide. Hampton’s husband, Doug Hampton, was Ensign’s deputy chief of staff during most of the extramarital relationship.

Ensign’s resignation could clear the way for Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval, a Republican, to appoint GOP Rep. Dean Heller to fill Ensign’s seat, giving the congressman an upper hand as he pursues a full term in 2012.

Democratic Rep. Shelley Berkley and businessman Byron Georgiou are already running in the 2012 Democratic primary to replace Ensign.

If Sandoval taps Heller as Ensign’s replacement, the Nevada governor would be required to call a special election to take place in six months, once he officially designates Heller’s 2nd District House seat vacant, according to state law.[/blockquote]

Since he was not planning on running again in 2012 I'm not sure why he didn't resign already and allow the Republican governor to replace him as is happening now. Pure RINO self-interest, I guess. Well, good riddance and all the better that it is under these circumstances. I do hope that Heller isn't a RINO. The Tea Party will no doubt be passing judgement on him soon. If he is a reliable conservative then the only thing to worry about is the special election to fill his vacant House seat.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Re: Sen. Ensign Resigning May 5th
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
One less RINO. ::cool::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Sen. Ensign Resigning May 5th
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Could not care less.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie