Author Topic: Only in NY – School hands 66 lb girl note saying she’s fat  (Read 1428 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
A New York City mom was fit to be tied Wednesday after her 4-foot-1, 66-pound daughter came home from school with a note calling her fat.

Eight-year-old Gwendolyn Williams is anything but fat, but her mom worries that the school’s note, citing her body mass index, has left her daughter confused about her body.

“My daughter is thin; she knows she doesn’t have a weight problem, but that night, I caught her grabbing the skin near her waist, and she asked me, ‘is this what they were talking about?”‘ Laura Bruiji Williams, the girl’s mom, told FoxNews.com. “It was awful to see.”

Gwendolyn, along with her classmates, were handed a “Fitnessgram” sealed with a sticker at her public school in Brooklyn. The class was told not to open the letters, issued by the New York City Department of Education, but like most of her friends, she couldn’t resist and read it.

So, that BMI crapola strikes again ......
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Re: Only in NY – School hands 66 lb girl note saying she’s fat
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »

Fair 'nuf...now where am Moo-Chelle's fat a$s?

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
A New York City mom was fit to be tied Wednesday after her 4-foot-1, 66-pound daughter came home from school with a note calling her fat.

Eight-year-old Gwendolyn Williams is anything but fat, but her mom worries that the school’s note, citing her body mass index, has left her daughter confused about her body.

“My daughter is thin; she knows she doesn’t have a weight problem, but that night, I caught her grabbing the skin near her waist, and she asked me, ‘is this what they were talking about?”‘ Laura Bruiji Williams, the girl’s mom, told FoxNews.com. “It was awful to see.”

Gwendolyn, along with her classmates, were handed a “Fitnessgram” sealed with a sticker at her public school in Brooklyn. The class was told not to open the letters, issued by the New York City Department of Education, but like most of her friends, she couldn’t resist and read it.

Even if true,if they had ever sent me a note like that that caused pain to my kid somebody would probably end up with a fat lip.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »
You really got to wonder,  if they have all this time to butt into what is a parents business,  why can't they do the job they are paid to do.   You know that education thingy.     Schools are far too  busy being social workers,  food service operators, health care and the like.    They fail for the most part at their core business.   

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
Really, a BMI of 19.3 is obese?   ::pullhair::
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
BMI is a total waste of time. There is no "one size fits all" measurement to indicate fitness levels just as there shouldn't be a one size fits all educational system.....

If I measured the BMI of my son (6'0", 210 lbs of muscle) his BMI would indicate he is "obese".

These idiots in NY are teaching to the test, the BMI test, and it is rarely accurate because of different fitness levels. BMI is only an indicator and should never be the end all to indicate obesity. I've weaned most of my members off this....it is useless. For my BMI to fall within my suggested range ( I'm 5'9", 175 lbs, 58 years old) I would need to LOSE 20-25 lbs. I'd be gaunt. Sickly looking.

If I were a parent, I would demand all the teachers to have their BMI checked.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
You really got to wonder,  if they have all this time to butt into what is a parents business,  why can't they do the job they are paid to do.   You know that education thingy.     Schools are far too  busy being social workers,  food service operators, health care and the like.    They fail for the most part at their core business.

Nailed it. Welcome to the Nanny State.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »

Fair 'nuf...now where am Moo-Chelle's fat a$s?

I think we can skip those trinkets for her and go straight to the harpoon!

Oh and I concur with what John said!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.