Author Topic: More Full Time Employment Soon To Become Part Time Employment  (Read 1204 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
It seems that the infinitely flexible (it means whatever we say it means) "law" that is DumbassCare is dropping yet another stinking turd into the mix. The IRS is ruling that employers may not dump employees into the DumbassCare exchanges to avoid having to shell out for the now infamously overpriced "plans" that the law mandates. If they do proceed to do that they will incur daily fines for every employee that they drop from company provided group insurance.

LINK

WASHINGTON — Many employers had thought they could shift health costs to the government by sending their employees to a health insurance exchange with a tax-free contribution of cash to help pay premiums, but the Obama administration has squelched the idea in a new ruling. Such arrangements do not satisfy the health care law, the administration said, and employers may be subject to a tax penalty of $100 a day — or $36,500 a year — for each employee who goes into the individual marketplace.

The ruling this month, by the Internal Revenue Service, blocks any wholesale move by employers to dump employees into the exchanges.

Under a central provision of the health care law, larger employers are required to offer health coverage to full-time workers, or else the employers may be subject to penalties.

Many employers — some that now offer coverage and some that do not — had concluded that it would be cheaper to provide each employee with a lump sum of money to buy insurance on an exchange, instead of providing coverage directly.

But the Obama administration raised objections, contained in an authoritative question-and-answer document released by the Internal Revenue Service, in consultation with other agencies.

The health law, known as the Affordable Care Act, builds on the current system of employer-based health insurance. The administration, like many in Congress, wants employers to continue to provide coverage to workers and their families.

This is yet another move by the BO administration that destabilizes private businesses by not allowing them to plan for the future. The employer mandate is fast approaching. What will businesses do now?

My guess is that you will see some (but certainly nowhere near all) employers begin to shed any employees that they do not see as absolutely necessary. There will also be a certain percentage that will take the other DumbassCare dodge and shift as many employees as possible to part time working hours. This had already begun to happen but without the option of dumping employees into the exchanges it is my belief that we are going to see a new round of full time to part time status conversions. The bottom line in any case, though, is that the market will do whatever it needs to do to react to this new, artificial constraint on what would be their otherwise normal behavior in conducting business.

Another day, another decree by King Putt.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: More Full Time Employment Soon To Become Part Time Employment
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »
how can anyone not see this health care reform is a dismal failure?

the administration has to keep propping it up with yet more rules
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
how can anyone not see this health care reform is a dismal failure?

the administration has to keep propping it up with yet more rules
Like everything else this total and complete asshole puts forth?

Decree is right, nothing in the original law has anything to do with this sh*t and Justice Roberts is to blame.

Last comment in form of this question: When can we expect to change the wording from "Health" law to "economic destruction" law not that I care.

Had I been the CEO of one of these huge companies, I would have immediately given the bird to the Federales on a television prime time spot.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
The Dread Justice Roberts has a date with destiny... and then the Devil can have at 'em. 

What can companies do?

They can fold!

And set up shop in some other country or not at all!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:39:37 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
It will get to the point where most companies will have very few full time jobs. 

Just think about it.   Lets say you run a retail store or restaurant.   Really,  with rules like this,  the only full time person will likely be the general manager.    Everybody else including lower level management will have to be part time.   They will have to have strict rules (some place already do) about no more then 29 and a half hours a week. 

A new hotel is opening here,  and in the ad for new employees,  its hard to mask that most of the jobs will be part time.   No benefits either. 

This is something that was happening before Obamacare.  It will happen even more quickly now,  and spread into what were better white collar jobs. 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:56:44 AM »
..and spread into what were better white collar jobs.

The vast majority of white collar jobs I've seen are salary where hours are irrelevant.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:10:04 PM »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »

The vast majority of white collar jobs I've seen are salary where hours are irrelevant.

Yep, the hours are irrelevant.  But when those salaried individuals are forced to pay more and get less for perks like health care , coupled with no raise, you will see a lot of people refusing to put in more than 40 hours, probably working less than that effectively , and basically becoming Wally in the Dilbert strips.
Heck, I am already there...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »

Yep, the hours are irrelevant.  But when those salaried individuals are forced to pay more and get less for perks like health care , coupled with no raise, you will see a lot of people refusing to put in more than 40 hours, probably working less than that effectively , and basically becoming Wally in the Dilbert strips.

My hero.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 06:42:37 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 06:54:10 AM »

My hero.

;D