Author Topic: Good fishing weekend!  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Good fishing weekend!
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
Got one northern off the dock, 5 lbs, nice size filets, lost a 4 pounder that cruised right to the dock raiding Sunnies,  all l had ready was an ultralight with a Crappie jig on it, l hooked him and played him...but l should have netted it myself...l let my nephew and he cut my line trying to net it and he missed the fish!  But we went to a nearby lake Sun evening and caught 25 bass but none where big enough to eat.  But this morning we went back to the same bay we waded into yesterday and got another 25 including 3 keepers plus a crappie.  Not bad!  Now my nephew really has the fishing bug!  LOL!  Another member to the club!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Good fishing weekend!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
Sounds like a great week-end! And congrats on getting another youngster hooked on fishing.

Here's my grandson with his first fish ever that he got this week at the pond. Now we just have to figure out how to get a life jacket on him without his screaming so we can get him in the boat.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
Myself and two other fellas went to a lake up by Alexandria (MN) on Saturday looking for Walleyes. The spot we wanted to fish had several boats on it, but for Walleye fishing (unlike Bass) it's not unusual to join in a flotilla, everyone just hovering around an area. There were about 10 other boats working this area and we joined in. Literally all of them were catching fish, and we weren't getting a bite. It went on like that for quite a while until we just asked, "What the heck are you guys using? We're not getting bit."

The answer was Shiner minnows. We were using fathead minnows. The guys that were catching were using Shiners.

So late morning after basically being humiliated (all the fishermen could see that we were the only ones not catching) we decided to send one buddy in my truck to fetch Shiners while the other buddy and I stayed in my boat looking for Crappies.

We pulled into a little bay, and before my buddy got back with the Shiners, we had two limits of Crappies. We pulled back in so the fella that got the Shiners could get his limit of Crappies, and then we went back for the Walleyes.

Before the day ended we had three limits of Crappie and three limits of Walleye. A dang good day of fishing that began not so great.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »
sounds like a great time

My daughter has gone to a fishing camp for a couple of summers and will again this summer

She just asked me to take her fishing soon. I haven't fished in years and I kind of want to again.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »
Since we are telling fish stories, brother and I finished 5th in our tournament on Kentucky lake. 20.96 lbs and could only finish 5 th. This weekend is the triton owners tournament on Kentucky lake, which normally draws around 300 boats.

Today we absolutely loaded the boat with bass. 25 lbs easily for our best 5. They've moved out to the ledges, into their summertime pattern, which means deep diving crank baits,10" worms and jigs.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:26:40 AM »
Since we are telling fish stories, brother and I finished 5th in our tournament on Kentucky lake. 20.96 lbs and could only finish 5 th. This weekend is the triton owners tournament on Kentucky lake, which normally draws around 300 boats.

Today we absolutely loaded the boat with bass. 25 lbs easily for our best 5. They've moved out to the ledges, into their summertime pattern, which means deep diving crank baits,10" worms and jigs.

Congrats!! You and your brother must be a deadly tandem. That's not the first time you've done well in a tourney.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
Kind of a slow weekend, only fish I had worth keeping I got Friday night - big crappie, solid 1 1/2 pounder, not as big as Mongo from 3 years ago but a goodin', and a keeper sunny...storms rolled in that night and into Saturday and the fishing really didn't amount to anything after that...

Still, even a bad day fishing beats work!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »

Truer words were never spoken.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

Truer words were never spoken.

Amen!
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge