Author Topic: Final Word on U.S. Law Isn’t: Supreme Court Keeps Editing  (Read 1321 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
The Supreme Court has been quietly revising its decisions years after they were issued, altering the law of the land without public notice.

The revisions include “truly substantive changes in factual statements and legal reasoning,” said Richard J. Lazarus, a law professor at Harvard and the author of a new study examining the phenomenon.

... most changes are neither prompt nor publicized, and the court’s secretive editing process has led judges and law professors astray, causing them to rely on passages that were later scrubbed from the official record. The widening public access to online versions of the court’s decisions, some of which do not reflect the final wording, has made the longstanding problem more pronounced.

Unannounced changes have not reversed decisions outright, but they have withdrawn conclusions on significant points of law. They have also retreated from descriptions of common ground with other justices, as Justice Sandra Day O’Connor did in a major gay rights case.

RTWT.

H/T http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Final Word on U.S. Law Isn’t: Supreme Court Keeps Editing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »
But most changes can be found only by careful comparison or in the “change pages” that the court does not make public. Professor Lazarus obtained a year’s worth of the pages but was denied access to more. He said the court should consider posting them on its website.

“Of course the justices make mistakes,” he said. “And, of course, they can correct them. They just need to use a process that is more in keeping with the integrity and rigor of the process that produces the opinions in the first instance.”

Evidently, the Supremes have been hanging around politards too much. ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
From the comments to Fran's article:

Tom said...
Just to be crudely succinct, we have to kill them all. Every one of them involved in this whole system.

This is the law of the jungle that they desire, so it SHALL be implemented.

If anyone can satisfactorily explain another option, there are probably 20-50 million Americans who would like to hear it.

But logic and cold rationality dictate no other course.
May 31, 2014 at 3:32 AM

Bingo. Bullseye.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
Transmission intercept...

"Calling Al-Qaeda...calling Al-Qaeda. This is America One-Zero-Niner. We have a couple of new targets for your one-way flight path crew. Please check in with availability & payload designation. This is America One-Zero-Niner; over & out."
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 01:23:34 PM »
From the comments to Fran's article:

Tom said...
Just to be crudely succinct, we have to kill them all. Every one of them involved in this whole system.

This is the law of the jungle that they desire, so it SHALL be implemented.

If anyone can satisfactorily explain another option, there are probably 20-50 million Americans who would like to hear it.

But logic and cold rationality dictate no other course.
May 31, 2014 at 3:32 AM

Bingo. Bullseye.

The Tree of Liberty demands the blood of tyrants!  It is dangerously parched!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
Part 2 of this essay just posted.  http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-law-and-lawless-part-2-what-is-to.html

Screw fleeing! (I think Fran outlines the folly of that and of changing anything from "within", so...)

BITS it will be or just enjoy your servitude...

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Last week I was in a room with these six very lefty contractors who had been assigned to me. At one point I turned to them and asked, "So how many of you doubt that, if a new ideological civil war were to come, I would have the slightest hesitation slaughtering the whole lot of you and then taking a very comfortable nap?"

OK, I only thought it....but it's the thought that counts.

::evilbat::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »
Last week I was in a room with these six very lefty contractors who had been assigned to me. At one point I turned to them and asked, "So how many of you doubt that, if a new ideological civil war were to come, I would have the slightest hesitation slaughtering the whole lot of you and then taking a very comfortable nap?"

::thumbsup::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 02:35:27 AM »

::thumbsup::

I actually laughed out loud. Thank GOD for our social filter.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »
Hey,  I kid! I kid!

::angel::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »
Uhh huh.   ::evil::

(Pot says to kettle!)   ;D