Author Topic: Reporter solicits expert help in crafting a pro gun control message  (Read 939 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
It's not news to us that 99% of the MSM is dedicated to advancing the Left's agenda. They used to at least hide behind a fig leaf of objectivity, though. Not any more. They're in the open about who they are and what they see their mission as.

In the wake of the Santa Barbara emo killer, a reporter from the Arizona Republic went to the website "Help a Reporter Out" and directly solicited assistance in casting the news through a pro gun control lens.

http://www.gunfacts.info/blog/media-meddling/

Since I work with the media to help them understand the realities about guns and public policy, I receive many media inquiries. One source is via Help A Reporter Out (HARO), a service where reporters can widely query experts.

After the rampage in Santa Barbara, a reporter from the Arizona Republic nakedly asked for expert to help the gun control industry craft better market messages.

We all accept there is bias in all media. We also accept that reporters, like the rest of us, often skew their work. But the request from Megan Finnerty goes beyond bias: she is actively aiding a political ideology, and thus abusing the very word “journalist”.

Here is her request (minus some links she provided). Folks everywhere should call the “newspaper” (800-331-9303) and express their concerns:

I am looking for thoughts on how Richard Martinez, the outspoken father of a young man killed in the Isla Vista, Calif., shooting Friday, could craft a gun control message that might make a difference to politicians, and to the national discourse.

I am looking for clever ideas for re-branding or re-framing the national conversation on gun control – from visuals to slogans, to talking points.

I am looking for your expert take on what Martinez, and others like him, could try talking about that would sound fresh, that would shock into action, that would make a difference, cut through the noise, that might succeed where the parents in Newtown and Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords have yet to break through.

From the Washington Post: “Martinez said he is consulting with experts to help develop a clear message and a specific course of action that the public can undertake with the aim of preventing similar tragedies in the future. ‘There’s no playbook for this. We don’t know what we are doing,’ he said. ‘I just know I have to keep fighting until something changes.’”

This story is about how there *is* a playbook for this, and it’s not working right now.

By this, I assume she is referring to Preventing Gun Violence Through Effective Messaging, the leaked gun control play book that was exposed last year.

Angry, indignant, hurt families and rising body counts don’t seem to be persuading politicians to act.

For two years following the Tucson shooting three years ago, Americans for Responsible Solutions has been advocating and educating about stronger background checks, limits on high capacity magazines, stricter gun trafficking laws, a reinstatement of the assault weapons bans, and improved mental health services.

Thank you for considering this opportunity,

Megan

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Reporter solicits expert help in crafting a pro gun control message
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
Seriously, ask a leftist what a Journalist should be doing , and this sort of social engineering will be their answer.

Gee, these high capacity magazines, and high powered firearms have been around for over 100 years, but only now are we seeing a problem-- it couldn't be that the left has so poisoned the culture and deliberately geared the Public Schools to turn out self-involved narcissistic jerks that suddenly makes such shootings more common  is it?  And every time its a lefty who does the shooting too. Perhaps we should go right to the problem and ban leftism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
Hmmm. The dipstick stabbed 3 people. No mention of knife control. He also tried to run over people with his Beemer. No mention of car control.

I'm detecting a trend....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:56:19 AM »
I think the trend is clear...

And the only HARO assistance I would ever consider is rope handling with respect to streetlights...

Be careful what y'all wish for now, JurnoTards!   ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.