Author Topic: Rick Santorum for President  (Read 1634 times)

charlesoakwood

Rick Santorum for President
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:13:34 PM »
A constituent's opinion of Rick
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/s_733420.html
Rick's fatal mistake

Friday, April 22, 2011

Many of us met Rick Santorum two years before he defeated Doug Walgren for a seat in the U.S. House. His performance in the House and his early performance in the U.S. Senate, to which he was elected later, pleased his many supporters. Unfortunately, he caught the "Potomac fever" and started playing Washington politics to move up into the Senate seats of power.

In the opinion of many of his supporters, he lost his way in terms of representing his base of voters, who elected him. His fatal mistake was when he supported Arlen Specter over Pat Toomey in the 2004 Senate election. I personally asked Santorum why he made that endorsement. His response was that he had no choice because of his leadership position about getting the incumbent then-Republican re-elected. My response to him was that he should have resigned that leadership position and represented the wishes of his base.

He clearly put politics in front of principle and lost his many long-term supporters, including the undersigned. He lost his Senate seat and likely will not succeed in his run for president.

Don Harrison

Bethel Park

The writer, a Republican, is a Bethel Park councilman.

He put his political power and position above his honor and his constituents.
Typical Ruling Class

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Rick Santorum for President
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »
Santorum had some flashes of conservative cred. I was on his side during the Terri Schiavo debacle, as he stood for her on his deep convictions and principles. But Pennsylvanians disagreed, and I think he paid for his position with his career, and she ended up murdered anyway. At least he doesn't have her death on his conscience.

As a politician, principled, you're damned. Unprincipled, you're damned.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
My response to him was that he should have resigned that leadership position and represented the wishes of his base.

Easy for you to say Don. IMO Santorum took the difficult but principled position.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »
If he's the candidate I'll vote for him. Huck never!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
My response to him was that he should have resigned that leadership position and represented the wishes of his base.

Easy for you to say Don. IMO Santorum took the difficult but principled position.

I think the position Don was referring to was Santorum's support of Arlen Specter.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
I'm a bit of a contrarian to the view here.
I'm from Pa.

I admire his strong principles on life. There is no question on those
After that I find him a neo-con.

Sorry

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
I don't know that much about him, except that my impression of him is "another pre-Obama retread". I am prejudiced against the old faces. That's maybe not fair, and I would support one of them if push came to shove, but I do not think any of the retreads have much going for them. Their time has come and passed.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 05:08:31 PM »

I think the position Don was referring to was Santorum's support of Arlen Specter.

I recognize that. The principled thing for someone in the party leadership to do is support the incumbent. Don didn't have a problem with someone else abandoning their post in order to do the expedient thing - for Don. I understand the conundrum and loathe the idea of supporting a turn-coat like sphincter, but Santorum still did the right thing.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »

The principled thing for someone in the party leadership to do is support the incumbent.

::speechless::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
I'm not at all enthusiastic about Santorum.  He's better than Huckabee or Newt, but that's about all I can say.

He got stomped when he ran for re-election to the Senate.  I don't think he would stand a chance against Obama.  He's primarily a social conservative, and we need economic conservatives.  Whatever you may think about abortion and traditional values, keep in mind that a large percentage of voters would crawl across broken glass to vote against someone like that.  (I'm looking at you, single women.)
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
I'm a bit of a contrarian to the view here.
I'm from Pa.

I admire his strong principles on life. There is no question on those
After that I find him a neo-con.

Sorry

Were here to give opinions don't be sorry!! Some might take you to task but it's not meant to alienate you.If you were a leftist you can expect harsh treatment.So far it's all good.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
Thanks, John
I didn't just want to come out with 6 guns blasting.
Not sure where he's coming from on the idea of running for Prez when he got trounced here.

We don't need party firsters but true conservatives.
Rick is a big gubmint, foreign entangler

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »
Thanks, John
I didn't just want to come out with 6 guns blasting.
Not sure where he's coming from on the idea of running for Prez when he got trounced here.

We don't need party firsters but true conservatives.
Rick is a big gubmint, foreign entangler

This is why we like home state people they tend to know more about certain people.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
I hope I didn't disparage his character.
I think he's a decent man even though his politics are wrong