Author Topic: For IDP, Predator Don, Libertas and any other fishermen (or ladies)  (Read 4012 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Boat Ramp Etiquette. I'm going to purchase a shovel just for the boat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151676373056064
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: For IDP, Predator Don, Libertas and any other fishermen (or ladies)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »
Pretty funny, but true.

Haven't boated for years (BG - before Gunsmith), but we learned the hard way what not to do (even forgot the boat plug.  Once.).  The thing we did know ahead of time was to get the boat in/out the water quickly and then get the heck out of the way.  I never did learn how to back a trailer, though.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
I became a first-time boat owner 6 years or so ago. Those first several times launching and landing were incredibly stressful! It's one thing I never thought of when I decided to buy. But it's HUGE. Everyone who decides to buy a boat should be made aware ahead of time that there is a definite learning curve to handling yourself and your rig at the ramp!

::thumbsup::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:03:20 AM »
The first days of summer are always a comedy act at the ramps......especially on Saturdays. Seen everything from sinking boats (don't forget the plug) to boat launches where the launcher just drivesthe boat off, forgetting the truck on the launching ramp.

One of my pet peeves, when fishing, is other boaters passing right in front of the area you are fishing, so close I can hit them with a cast. Especially on large lakes. Happened to me this week. I'm fishing the channel drops, with the entire channel behind me, and here come a boat.....I'm making 20 -25 yard casts just off the channel where I know it's only 2 feet deep....with stumps. The guy and his companion pass within 15 yards of me, i could see them smiling, I'm sure they thought it was funny until there was a god and his prop  caught one of the stumps, his 115 motor pops into the air and the cowling dislodges and sinks before he could grab it. So there he is, I won't tell you how loud a 115 is without a cowling, and his prop is a mess. I'm fixated on them....a big smile on my face. So I offered a word of advise and suggested if they kept their boat between the red and green buoys and not in the area someone is fishing they will not tear up their equipment.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:02:33 AM »
I'm thinking this guy should read boat launching for dummies, part 1

All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »
My only boat was a 12' StarCraft Semi V.
It was a bit of a challenge to back up because of a short tongue on the trailer.
Really touchy.
hay wagons had given me a lot of practice before then

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
I grew up with boats but it's been years since I had one.

My grandfather took a barge and added a superstructure to it, turning it into a floating dance-hall. He would take boatloads of partiers offshore where they could dance - and drink (this was during prohibition).

In his mid-teens my dad created a business as a fishing guide. Over several seasons his reputation grew (all word of mouth) and boasted Lon Chaney, Jr. as one of his customers. As a parent with five kids he didn't have a lot of discretionary funds to finance his hobby so he bought a boat that had promise and (along with Grampa) re-engineered it, adding six feet to its length and redoing the cabin.

When we moved to the south he dragged a boat with us and dunked it in everywhere he could, from the Mississippi to the gulf to Guntersville and the TVA. When most families went to Disneyland or Hawaii for vacation we went boating.

Dad's pride n joy was his 38' Uniflite. Using the same hull as the gunboats employed in Vietnam, it sported twin 390 Interceptor engines. That SOB simply hauled ass! More than once we shocked other boaters - usually the skiiboats and "dragboats" that we would encounter by sidling up next to them and then burying the throttles. We clocked it once at 51mph.

As a kid I thought I'd bust a button by being entrusted by Dad to navigate the Uniflite through the locks. At fifteen I had mastered twin-screw and could easily maneuver the beast using forward and reverse gears alone - no throttle, no steering. At sixteen Dad was letting me take the boat out solo. On my first marriage we used the boat on our honeymoon.

Like so many other things this craphole of a state is making boating next to impossible. Like the NHIC said about power plants, "I'll let you build them but I'll make them so expensive you won't want to" (paraphrase), the states taxes, fees, regulations, and restrictions has made boating another something I remember past-tense.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:55:07 AM »
I haven't had to mess with a trailer for some time, it was frustrating, I bet I could be right back to where I left off like no time passed at all!  LOL!

A small trailer with decent length tongue I can manage, might not be the quickest but I can get it done.

I would like a fishing boat...can't tell ya how bad I want one...wonder how big is too big to just unhook the sob and walk it back into the water?!
 ::hysterical::

"...the launcher just drivesthe boat off, forgetting the truck on the launching ramp."  Haven't seen that one yet Don, what do people do, park the thing for him and throw his key in the dirt?  He's gotta be blocking the whole launch!

And yeah 'Soup...fees, regulations and restrictions up the wazoo here too in Minnie & WI...and thanks to invasive species brought here by foreign jackasses it just gets worse...

::gaah::

Oh, and I gotta remember to pick up a shovel.   :D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:59:40 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:56 PM »
Actually, larger boats with duel axel trailers are easier to pull and back up.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:52:16 AM »
Then, three or four axels gets hard again.  But my BIL is good at it and has a commercial license.  Now if I can only get him to work less and fish more and go in on a boat with me...

::cool::

Oh, BTW...I forgot to tell the exploits of my nephew...so far this year he lost me a nice keepr northern as a result of improper net management and two weekends ago as we lay anchor off some weed banks he hooks a MONSTER bass, I mean this thing had to be over 5lbs and over 18", largest I've ever seen in our lake...this time I had the net...he loses the fish as it dove under the boat...his line just went limp...
 ::gaah::
What did you have on that pole?  He says 4lb test...
 ::facepalm::
 :'(

What a fish...not a state record, could have been a lake record though...

Haven't seen that monster since...and now the pontoon motor is kaput...I saw people fish that spot but they got nothin'...they ain't hit the sweet spot...

That monster is ours!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
...as we lay anchor off some weed banks he hooks a MONSTER bass, I mean this thing had to be over 5lbs and over 18", largest I've ever seen in our lake...

...What a fish...not a state record, could have been a lake record though...

...Haven't seen that monster since...

...That monster is ours!!!

Don't laugh Alan and Don. 18" is a really nice largemouth in these Northern waters! My personal best is 20 1/4".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »
...as we lay anchor off some weed banks he hooks a MONSTER bass, I mean this thing had to be over 5lbs and over 18", largest I've ever seen in our lake...

Don't laugh Alan and Don. 18" is a really nice largemouth in these Northern waters! My personal best is 20 1/4".

Trust me. I'm not laughing. 18" is a good fish anywhere. May not be a trophy, but it's still a good fish.

My personal best is only 20". I'm a better guide than fisherman. ::gaah::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »

Trust me. I'm not laughing. 18" is a good fish anywhere. May not be a trophy, but it's still a good fish.

My personal best is only 20". I'm a better guide than fisherman. ::gaah::

I posted a picture of an 18"er on Bass Boat Central a few years ago and I got ridiculed mercilessly by Southern boys.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
I posted a picture of an 18"er on Bass Boat Central a few years ago and I got ridiculed mercilessly by Southern boys.

Oh, you did, did you?  Next time tell 'em you want to see how well they'd do up in The Frozen Minnie 'cause you'd be fishing circles around 'em down here in the warm.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »

I'm sure you considered the source.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »

In retrospect, yeah. But honestly, when I posted the picture I was kind of a BBC newb, and the ridicule was so overwhelming and universal, I formed an errant belief that Southern bass fishermen think our puny North-state bass are a joke. Not a single person said "nice fish" or anything remotely similar. Just a wave of ridicule, and a quickly dead thread. Ever since, I've felt the need to "qualify" when discussing bass with fishermen from the South.

It's my problem, I'm fully aware.
 ::unknowncomic::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »

In retrospect, yeah. But honestly, when I posted the picture I was kind of a BBC newb, and the ridicule was so overwhelming and universal, I formed an errant belief that Southern bass fishermen think our puny North-state bass are a joke. Not a single person said "nice fish" or anything remotely similar. Just a wave of ridicule, and a quickly dead thread. Ever since, I've felt the need to "qualify" when discussing bass with fishermen from the South.

It's my problem, I'm fully aware.
 ::unknowncomic::

If you wanted to make them envious, all you had to do was post a pic of a smallie. ::hysterical::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »
Well.......IDP....I did have 5 of those today for 21 lbs. finished 4 th.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 08:16:46 PM »

::bows::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 05:26:45 AM »

::thumbsup::

You fish with your brother again?

Thomas Jefferson