Author Topic: The Bismuth Stepwell  (Read 841 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
The Bismuth Stepwell
« on: June 22, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »

One of the Marvelous detritus that Tumblr occasionally spits out is this large bismuth crystal. As with most things on Tumblr, no other information is given, especially whether this sample was found naturally occurring or artificially grown. It's most likely the latter, which would explain the highly pronounced stair-step lattice distinctive to hopper crystals like bismuth. This characteristic structure occurs due to the crystal growing faster along the edges than at the center. As more mineral molecules are attracted to the edges, leaving less and less to fill the interior sections, the crystal craters. As for its iridescent color, that is due to oxidation.

http://pruned.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-bismuth-stepwell.html via American Digest
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The Bismuth Stepwell
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »
The odd properties of bismuth...

I wonder if such structures could have more practical applications like in construction and such...?

The oxidation coloring is kinda neat.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.