Author Topic: Iowa GOP sticks head up ass  (Read 2266 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Iowa GOP sticks head up ass
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/iowa-gop-replaces-state-party-chairman-108408.html

The Iowa GOP central committee voted Saturday to fire the state party chairman and replace him with a fixture of the establishment.

Danny Carroll, removed on a 14-2 no confidence vote, will be replaced by Jeff Kaufmann, formerly the Speaker Pro Tem of the state House.

The bloodless coup was widely expected after forces loyal to Gov. Terry Branstad officially seized control of the party’s governing body from close allies of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) at a state convention earlier this month. The former chairman, A.J. Spiker, stepped down this spring and became a senior adviser to RAND PAC. Carroll is a former lobbyist for the evangelical Family Leader and supported Branstad’s primary challenger in 2010.

Chad Olsen, who stepped down as the party’s executive director in May 2012 after Paul’s forces took control, will get his old job back. Cody Hoefert, from conservative northwest Iowa, replaces the co-chair, who resigned before the meeting.

Carroll chose not to go quietly, pleading to keep his job by noting that he did nothing wrong. “I’ve never presided over my own termination,” he said at the meeting, according to the Des Moines Register. “This is an awkward moment.”

“Kaufmann said he takes pride in being part of the establishment if ‘establishment’ means continuing to support Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad and U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley,” the Register reported. “But Kaufmann denied that he’s anything but a conservative Republican who has occasionally made some moderate votes.”

Party elders seek unity for the midterms and, more importantly, the 2016 caucuses.

Kaufmann, 51, was in the state House from 2004 to 2013. He has deep roots in the state, including a bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate from the University of Iowa.

He lives in Cedar County, where he’s a seventh-generation livestock farmer. He also teaches history and government courses at Muscatine Community College.

As he sought support for the chairmanship, Kaufmann promised to raise more money than the libertarians have, to be fair to every faction of the party and to improve voter contact efforts.

“You’re not going to get me to look backwards,” he told reporters after he was picked. “If you want that, come and sit in my history class.”

Sure. Grassely's worked out so well.... ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Iowa GOP sticks head up ass
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »
BigCorn™
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:14:41 AM »
We'll see more of this, the Ruling Class doesn't like being told they blow...and there is no crony too useless for them not to prop up using any means necessary...more proof that cutting the GOP loose to wither and die is the right choice...after all what choice is there, really?  Team Evil or Team Stupid?  That's no choice...the best choice is neither!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
It wasn't that long ago I posted a story about that school having it's journalism department in the crosshairs of a Democrat Politician upset about a story they published.

Muscatine Community College seems to be ground zero for a lot of ass-hattery involving politicians, it seems.  No drama like that back when I was there...just too much beer.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
This makes me sad when I read stories like this.

Our family worked for Branstad's campaign. What happened to him? My mom was a prolife lobbyist and was in his office many times. She called him Terry. That's who he was in our house. I was paid staff on Grassley's first run for Senate. Really was great guy on a personal level. He's really disappointed me over the last several years.

Of course, this all back in the Reagan days when everything was shiny and wonderful.

And, yes, it's all about the farm subsidies.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
Many in the ProLife/Evangelical community seem to have been bitten by the progressive-lite bug...Huckabee seems to be one of the first notables in this.  They pervert the stewardship of the earth passages of the good book to promote BS like global warming and the carbon credit scam, and all the Evangelicals in Arkansas seemed to have herded him into buying that drivel...and he didn't last long as a GOP POTUS hopeful, did he?  Because no matter how loony you might be on some issues, the Ruling Class will find something conservative to find fault with...hence candidates like McCain and Romney...

And Branstad is no different from past MN GOPers...Coleman & Boschwitz...both knew to bow before Big Ag...and Boschwitz was an early McCain supporter...Coleman was a Pawlenty guy...

In MN and perhaps surrounding states...the best you can hope for is a (cough!) moderate (blech!) Senator...

That just doesn't cut it for me anymore...and hasn't for a while now...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »
What I think happened in Iowa (and other places probably) is we were giddy at the prospect of Reagan and a prolife supporter who was strong on defense. So all that other "stuff" was ignored.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
I think there was a conscious decision to focus on the big ticket items and let some of the rest slide, but part of the latter for me anyway was due to the belief that Reagan would get them to yield more on those "other" issues, which in large part he did...

One of the few areas he was not legislatively successful was abortion, but I think he was looking to get justices in place that would overturn it there, he knew there was little chance of Congress ever passing anything that would threaten Roe...

And to a large extent I think that latent "let it slide" attitude got us in trouble with the Bush's...we we're not getting another Reagan with those, certainly not with the losers of elections past like Romney, McCain & Dole...there can be no realistic expectation that they would have the presence to persuede feckless congresscritters and instil electoral fear like Reagan commanded...and if somebody did think that they should have been slapped awake!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »
What I think happened in Iowa (and other places probably) is we were giddy at the prospect of Reagan and a prolife supporter who was strong on defense. So all that other "stuff" was ignored.

I believe many of us, I know it's true for me, saw "our guys" just that way until recently.  CHF is known to say, "if the guy votes our way 51% of the time, we're better off than with the guy who votes against us most of the time", and that too may have been true ... until recently.  It all depends on the issues; I suppose it always did.  It does us no practical good when our Reps name the post offices as we like, throw other minor sops at us, and then stab us in the back the other 49% of the time, like with keeping the ethanol subsidies in place and such.

Now that many of us have wised up -- we're the ones denigrated with the label "purists" -- the eGOP isn't having that, hence the coup in Iowa. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:57:09 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »

I believe many of us, I know it's true for me, saw "our guys" just that way until recently.  CHF is known to say, "if the guy votes our way 51% of the time, we're better off than with the guy who votes against us most of the time", and that too may have been true ... until recently.  It all depends on the issues; I suppose it always did.  It does us no practical good when our Reps name the post offices as we like, throw other minor sops at us, and then stab us in the back the other 49% of the time, like with keeping the ethanol subsidies in place and such.

::thumbsup::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »

I'm sure the Jews at the camps thought the same thing. 51% is better than not having anyone on your side. Soros agreed, now get in the oven!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 06:21:46 AM »

I'm sure the Jews at the camps thought the same thing. 51% is better than not having anyone on your side. Soros agreed, now get in the oven!

The "voting 51%" is what got this country to this point. ::outrage::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »
Look, I TOTALLY agree it does depend on which 51%.  To use the extreme to prove the point, they might agree with me on all the amendments to the Bill of rights, ten for ten, but advocate for pure democracy, which totally negates the bill of rights. I would not consider them WITH ME more than half the time, even though an arbitrary read of the facts would say they vote with me above 90%.  There are hinge-points that we cannot give on, and I understand that. To not advocate electing a man who will be there the next 30 years, voting against us EVERY time is not to say I think we should continue the status quo. I love that we are getting competitive primaries. It thrills my soul that the establishment has won (I'd rather they lost of course!) at such a cost that they may be damaged beyond repair, in the hearts and minds of the political foot soldiers of the party!

We must fight them tooth and nail with every political tool at our disposal, but it is not in our best interest to choose the bad over the better because we could not achieve the best.  The problem with the purity test method of voting is there soon gets down to no one we can vote for besides you and me....and now that you mention it, I am a little worried about YOU!

We need to THINK each time and then do what is best. It is not simple, but it is necessary to save our republic.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
Voting is not going to save our republic at this point.

Which is the point.

"Remember Mississippi."
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »

Which is the point.

"Remember Mississippi."

Gold. Silver. Lead.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »

Which is the point.

"Remember Mississippi."

Gold. Silver. Lead.

Aye.

If not for that tragic boating accident....

;)