Author Topic: Hobby Lobby Wins!  (Read 2267 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Hobby Lobby Wins!
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
SCOTUS rules that closely held companies can not be forced to violate religious freedom act. They were troubled by unelected officials making this law, saying if Congress wants women to have birth control they can pay for it. Didn't address 1st amendment rights.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Hobby Lobby Wins!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
So, yeah...the "government" (that's us) can pay for abortions and other "birth control" procedures instead. I wonder, not being a legal beagle, how the Hyde Amendment figures into this? Or, since we don't do federal budgets anymore and now rely on continuing resolutions to fund the lawless administration, if it even matters?

In other words, if it is not Constitutional to force closely held private corporations (companies owned by a few individuals) to violate their religious beliefs then how is is Constitutional to force individuals via the taxes they are forced to pay to similarly violate their religious beliefs? How can the government directly fund abortions or other birth control procedures without violating the religious beliefs of taxpayers?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
Fully agree Trap, but the courts often neglect to make such obvious links of logic...

And bill-writers purposely make language vague and/or with such meaningless legalistic jargon and pleasant constitution-friendly euphemisms that the courts either have to re-write laws themselves (judicial activism) or invalidate them (original construction) or often split the difference...

So there is always going to be 2/3 chances for progressives to win or eventually win...

And I see little to be excited about this ruling...it merely means the government cannot make these companies it doesn't mean they cannot incentivize them to allow it nor does it preclude them from doing one of their favorite tactics - disincentivize people from not voluntarily accepting this by punishing them somewhere else that has already been allowed or untested in the courts...

Demons never sleep, so this is not a great victory unless it can be expanded to all individuals, all companies...all taxpayers.  Otherwise it is just a minor impediment.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:22 AM »
SCOTUS, from what I understand as I haven't read the decision yet, ruled on the applicability of the religious freedom act  as it applied to these claimants' cases. So they didn't address Constitutional issues directly. They didn't strike down HHS on their claims. I'm guessing the argument allowing taxpayers to be accessed taxes for things that violates their religious beliefs would fall into the argument that it's Constitutional to access taxes but if taxpayers don't like it they can vote to change it. I don't know if the ruling would allow individuals to claim a violation of the religious freedom act if their plans requires them to pay for the same things.

Basically, they're telling Congress and the president "you want to do these things like have mandates. Then vote for them and that would be constitutional."

The Hyde amendment doesn't change anything I don't think. SCOTUS is saying you have to vote on these things. So the Hyde amendment would have to be voted out.

From wiki:

The Stupak–Pitts Amendment, an amendment to the Affordable Health Care for America Act, was introduced by Democratic Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan. It prohibits use of Federal funds "to pay for any abortion or to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion" except in cases of rape, incest or danger to the life of the mother,[8] and was included in the bill as passed by the House of Representatives on November 7, 2009. However, the Senate bill passed by the House on March 21, 2010 did not contain that Hyde Amendment language. As part of an agreement between Rep. Stupak and President Obama to secure Stupak's vote, the President issued an executive order on March 24, 2010 affirming that the Hyde Amendment would extend to the new bill.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »
I forgot about that Stupak deal.  But as it states..."except in cases of rape, incest or danger to the life of the mother"...we all know that old canard has been employed to pry the door wide open for any and all abortions on-demand!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
I forgot about that Stupak deal.  But as it states..."except in cases of rape, incest or danger to the life of the mother"...we all know that old canard has been employed to pry the door wide open for any and all abortions on-demand!

I used to be in that "except in cases of rape or incest" camp. I would still have a difficult time arguing that a woman who was victimized in that way has to go through with bearing the offspring of her attacker. On the other hand though, I cannot discern a moral distinction about the act itself, because the unborn child is guiltless regardless of how it was conceived.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »

I used to be in that "except in cases of rape or incest" camp. I would still have a difficult time arguing that a woman who was victimized in that way has to go through with bearing the offspring of her attacker. On the other hand though, I cannot discern a moral distinction about the act itself, because the unborn child is guiltless regardless of how it was conceived.

On its face it seemed a logical exception...but yes, it considers the innocent child guilty of a sin it did not commit and condemned to death...

That just isn't kosher with me...

And it doesn't mean the mother has to keep the child, she can give it up for adoption, but at least that way the kid has some chance at a life...

No such thing as a Mulligan with abortion!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
 Another bit of info though that I recently learned. It doesn't help a rape victim to abort.

I recently heard a talk by Julie Holcomb, Steven Tyler's ex-fiancé (3o years ago) in which she said that few if any women who give birth after rape/incest regret their decision. However, women who abort in such situations do have regret later.

Here's a compelling brochure from Prolife Action League on this issue that cites some stats and quotes:

http://prolifeaction.org/docs/RapeAbortion.pdf

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
Nice brochure, blends in perfectly with our main discussion points.   ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
Y'all see this?

Elijiah "Plantation" Cummings teams up with Sandra "the whore" Fluke to issue a statement on the Hobby Lobby ruling...

http://weaselzippers.us/191811-pathetic-dem-rep-elijiah-cummings-issues-joint-statement-with-sandra-fluke-on-hobby-lobby-ruling/

I'll translate the gibberish...

"The cost of contraceptives is too high for women to afford on their own, we need it subsidized by others, especially notorious sluts like me who will screw anything with a pulse, and the last thing you want me to do is to start popping babies out, so unless you want to be up to your armpits in little Flukes, you better pay for my contraceptives!  And since we are liberated women we have little control over our sexual urges and activities...outdated notions like self-control, self-respect and personal responsibility are just sexist tools used by Neanderthal males to try to control women, and we will not be controlled!"

Don't care if you are a slut or not...pay for your own contraceptives out of your own damn pocket!  You reach into my pocket, I'll break fingers...or worse!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »
FlOOk is not a high-level screwer, despite what was deduced from Pelosi's mock hearing (which was really a press conference); she's nothing more than an advocate for entitlements.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:06:49 AM »
Well, if she wants to wear the collar she better enjoy the tag, sez I!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »
More libiot scrunts blaming men...

"Just hours ago, five MEN on our Supreme Court decided the fate of women’s health care rights in our country.  Now, for-profit companies can impose their personal beliefs -- on a whim -- on their employees and deny them basic contraceptive care."

No, you fugly DemonRat...they are not denied anything...they just have to USE THEIR OWN DAMNED MONEY you effing lying donkey!!!

These idiots really want that War on Wymens thing to backfire once more I guess...

More effing moonbat loons...if you can stomach that much stupidity and lies...

http://americanthinker.com/blog/2014/07/left_wing_hysteria_ginned_up_over_hobby_lobby_decision.html

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »
#SocialNote:
Women who fornicate and/or abort to the point of labeling themselves “murderous whores” need not fret yesterday’s Supreme Court decision…as #KingMuzzie Care still pays for their sluttish habits…

…it just ensures that employers who object to the act of abortion need not pay for the heinous act.

#SideNote:
Nancy Pelosi mentioned that the stream of illegal alien children streaming across the Mexican border are infused with God’s divinity. My question to her would be this:
“At what point does that “infusion” take place, Nancy? After they cross the border or in their mother’s womb?”
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
What about all the women who don't want to pay for other women's contraceptives?

I bet they'd be ok with those 5 men if the ruling had gone their way! Every other ruling that chips away at the Constitution is sacrosanct in their book!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:28 PM »
FrankJ has some perfect comments

Yay. A small majority of the Supreme Court still believes in the principle which was the entire point of founding this nation.

“If women have to pay for their own abortifacients, we might as well just give up being a nation.” -the left right now

“Hobby Lobby is against birth control.” -moron who doesn’t actually care enough about the issue to get the facts straight but likes yelling

OUT: “Government stay out of the bedroom.”
IN: “Hobby Lobby, get in this bedroom and bring me an abortifacient!”

If you want the government and corporations to stay our of your personal areas, PAY FOR THINGS YOURSELF!

Can’t we put all our disagreements aside and unite as a country to be bored by soccer?

“We’ll have no freedoms left if we can’t force people to do things!”

“WOMEN ARE BEING DENIED BIRTH CONTROL!!!”
“There’s a Walgreens right over there and it’s open.”

Are people who keep acting like Hobby Lobby is against birth control in general misinformed or dishonest? Facts get in way of LOUD YELLING!

Don’t you support a woman’s right to choose what someone else should provide for her?

Many seem confused on the difference between “freedom” and “free stuff” which are not at all related.

My take on how the Hobby Lobby decision affects you: Not at all. Unless you like being outraged on Twitter.

That there’s much disagreement over whether the Hobby Lobby decision is for or against freedom shows we have a big problem in this country.

What is or isn’t freedom shouldn’t be debatable. Just ask which side wanted government force to be used to make someone do something.

If you’re against the Hobby Lobby decision, you’re not for freedom. You’re saying easy access to abortifacients trumps freedom.

It seems like President Obama would save a lot of time if he stuck to just doing things the Constitution says he’s allowed to do.

The easiest way to tell if someone overreacting to the Hobby Lobby decision is if they’re acting like it has any actual effect on them.

Guy on Twitter telling me case was all scheme by Hobby Lobby to increase investments in birth control they do cover. Pay off to Alito?

Is Best of the Web now behind a paywall? Alert the Supreme Court my rights are being violated!

You have a right to promiscuity, but I question the wisdom of making it a right to celebrate above all others.

My favorites are highlighted.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »
Nice!

And some of the other comments to the posting are pretty dang good too!

5.NO_MO_BAMA says:
July 1st, 2014 at 10:05 am
Hobby Lobby Cried, women died had to come up with 28 cents a day!

::hysterical::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
Can’t we put all our disagreements aside and unite as a country to be bored by soccer?

::laughonfloor::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Swiped from Facebook...

"Get your politics out of my bedroom!"
"Not a problem. I'm just going to grab my wallet before I leave."
"The wallet stays, bigot."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »
“We’ll have no freedoms left if we can’t force people to do things!”

I spewed coffee everywhere on that one!! ::laughonfloor::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson