Author Topic: Rocket Stoves  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Rocket Stoves
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
I fear igniting another "that just ain't safe" discussion, so lets get that out of the way: I am not convinced these are safe.

And the permies website has a bunch of videos and info - which sadly don't give me a lot of confidence these hippies know what they are doing.

But  there is  a design tool/calulator here, but I am uncertain as to how much actual math vs. rules of thumb were involved;

However they are a possible DYI solution for making a reasonably high efficiency heat source. I personally am a bit scared of them because the claim is they "produce nothing but steam" but the chimney system is HORIZONTAL and leeches the heat from the exhaust- however that also meansthe exhaust will not rise.  To run one safely I would be really tempted to put the wood feed and the exhaust OUTSIDE the structure I was trying to heat.  In this case I an investiaging this as a possible solution for supplimentary heat in the greenhouse. However,  the princples are something you should keep in mind as they could be used in crop drying and other heat releated applications if used carefully - and they are certainly cheap to build. 

However,  you may want to consider a small one for emergency cooking. Stovetec makes these for use in third world countries as an alternative to open wood fires, parafin etc.  For $100 you too could have this little nifty device for cooking on - I wouldn't use it indo unless it were in a large fireplace, but having more than one way to ccook in a pinch is a good idea, and  soething that burns twigs  is better than something that burns logs.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Rocket Stoves
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »
Uhh huh.  Some poisonous gasses are odorless, hippies!  I'm with you, exhaust goes outside!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Rocket Stoves
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
Uhh huh.  Some poisonous gasses are odorless, hippies!  I'm with you, exhaust goes outside!

All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie