Author Topic: Rick Perry for President  (Read 5897 times)

charlesoakwood

Rick Perry for President
« on: April 24, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/04/07/new-2012-gop-face-texan-rick-perry

The Washington Whispers Poll has discovered a new Republican 2012 contender: Texas Gov. Rick Perry.
29% ...Rick Perry
27% ...Chris Christie
22% ...Mitch Daniels
12% ...Gov. Nikki Haley
10% ...Haley Barbour  - my first PL post was as advocate for Haley

Sarah Palin Campaigns for Rick Perry Part 1

...wal whatareyou going to do, go have your baby now?

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Rick Perry for President
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
Perry has more executive experience than any, I like some of the newbies like Haley though, but on the top of the ticket?  Surprised Barbour's resume isn't floating him higher, but perhaps the desire for new blood was running thick in this poll.  Internet polls can run hot and are open to gaming by the opposition.  But it looks like the latter effect may have been minimized in this case, since no classic Ruling Class clowns registered hits.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
I would submit that Christie and Daniels are both ruling class. Not "classic" ruling class like, say, Gingrich but ruling class nonetheless.

Barbour is a probable candidate for inclusion in the ruling class, as well.

Haley is most definitely NOT ruling class since she had to stand against the ruling class to win her governorship.

Perry, I don't know enough about to say one way or the other.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
I only know what I've heard about Perry.

On another forum that I frequent (one which they easily throw out terms like globalist, Bilderberger, nnwo...), they mention his favor and advocacy for the highway from Mehico to Canada (what ever the name is).

Don't know about that stuff but he seems to be a moderate rather than a hard core conservative

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 02:59:59 AM »
Perry has more executive experience than any, I like some of the newbies like Haley though, but on the top of the ticket?  Surprised Barbour's resume isn't floating him higher, but perhaps the desire for new blood was running thick in this poll.  Internet polls can run hot and are open to gaming by the opposition.  But it looks like the latter effect may have been minimized in this case, since no classic Ruling Class clowns registered hits.

Perry certainly has an attractive resume' and tends to freshen the field . As for Barbour ; as much as I like him and what he says , the guy is unelectable . Appearances are superficial but so is a hell of a large segment of the voting public ( look who won in '08 ). Every time I hear Barbour speak I think I'm hearing a Dispatcher at the Neshoba County Sheriff's office . Then I open my eyes , see him and my suspicions are confirmed . There's just no way to repackage the guy into a sellable commodity which is a sad commentary on social attitudes in this country . Does anyone think that a tall , gawky , ugly guy with a high twangy voice could be elected President today ? 95% of the people who voted for Lincoln never saw him in person or heard his voice . What they knew of him was based essentially on one photograph ( which was unusually complimentary ) and his written speeches . That should be enough today but unfortunately it isn't .

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 07:08:14 AM »

Perry certainly has an attractive resume' and tends to freshen the field . As for Barbour ; as much as I like him and what he says , the guy is unelectable . Appearances are superficial but so is a hell of a large segment of the voting public ( look who won in '08 ). Every time I hear Barbour speak I think I'm hearing a Dispatcher at the Neshoba County Sheriff's office . Then I open my eyes , see him and my suspicions are confirmed . There's just no way to repackage the guy into a sellable commodity which is a sad commentary on social attitudes in this country . Does anyone think that a tall , gawky , ugly guy with a high twangy voice could be elected President today ? 95% of the people who voted for Lincoln never saw him in person or heard his voice . What they knew of him was based essentially on one photograph ( which was unusually complimentary ) and his written speeches . That should be enough today but unfortunately it isn't .

Yeah, I wasn't pushing Barbour per se, I just found the stacking of the poll results as odd.  If those were the choices I would rank them Perry, Barbour, Haley, Daniels, Christie.  And I could be talked into moving Haley ahead of Barbour.  And the only thing I can say about Perry is that he seems more conservative than moderate, more so than T-Paw, who I see as an attractive pawn to be manipulated by the likes of The Butthead and other Ruling Class Machiavellians!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »
they mention his favor and advocacy for the highway from Mehico to Canada (what ever the name is).

Highway 69!  Now THAT brings back some ancient Powerline memories.  ::hysterical::

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:56:09 AM »
That is one of Rick Perry's weaknesses around the state here. However, that is an issue he inherited, not authored.

He has taken strong stands against the current administration regarding the healthcare/other issues and illegal immigration. So, overall, he wouldn't be a bad candidate.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »
Barbour just announced that he's not running according to POLITICO .

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:22:14 PM »
Haley Barbour is the man responsible for the Republicans winning the house in 1996.  I hope Haley decides to use his skills to get a Tea Party candidate elected

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135379956/born-organizer-barbour-fell-for-politics-at-20?ft=1&f=1014
In 1968, Reed recruited a young man named Haley Barbour, who had just helped out with his older brother Jeppie's successful campaign for mayor of their hometown, Yazoo City. Reed convinced Barbour, then 20 years old, to prolong a break from his studies at Ole Miss and help with the Nixon campaign. Reed was impressed with his new hire.

Barbour had stuck with Reagan when the rest of the Mississippi delegation swung its support to Gerald Ford
"...He was a born organizer and a workaholic, and he just got it done."
deep Rolodex and the ability to raise a lot of cash.
Reagan campaign manager Ed Rollins and his deputy, the late Lee Atwater, turned to Barbour for help with the Southern base during Reagan's re-election bid in 1984. Rollins then brought Barbour in as White House political director.

"I knew from the first day I worked with him that this guy had as good a skills as anybody I'd ever seen in politics," Rollins says. "I today think he is by far the best political strategist in the country."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 09:41:21 PM »
I remember those good old days!

;)

And I agree, I hope his talents can be put toward getting new blood in, while we still may have time!

::thumbsup::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
No.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »

Yer gonna lose yer perspective, we've got two years to go. 
The ride's just going to be a little bumpy.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 11:25:45 PM »

O noes!  A bumpy ride, a little, with no perspective!

Charles, some days you amaze me with your insight; other days I'm befuddled by your lack thereof.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 07:20:30 AM »
"No" meaning Barbour can't help get new blood elected or "No" we don't have any time?

The latter I am more inclined to believe, but hell, I don't mind anybody trying.  Gotta pass the time somehow!

I'm at the "sh*t or get off the pot phase" where I can vacillate between caring and not caring...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »

O noes!  A bumpy ride, a little, with no perspective!

Charles, some days you amaze me with your insight; other days I'm befuddled by your lack thereof.

The sighting is always the same I just don't think jumping the gun is wise.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »
I'm wondersing if Gov. Perry has been replaced like Brewer. It's obvious that the government got to Brewer, and nowI'm beginning to think the same thing has happened to Perry. You know, obama always has his opponents removed, to get out of his way.

Every since the EPA has taken Texas down a coupla months ago, he has been suspiciously quiet. And now, with this EPA declaring west texas off limits to oil drilling because of a new protected lizard, I want to know where my Gov. is. Just saying....
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
Mind reader.

Texas is on fire, over 250 homes burned down, cattle and, heaven forfend, wildlife burned alive. CNN had an article today and mentioned 300,000 acres, not counting the 1,500,000 already burned acres.  Perry wrote Obama a letter,  Bobby Jindal would have been holding press conferences.

ETA: The congressional power plays in progress may be the cause of his silence.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:07:30 AM by Charles Oakwood »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »
"No" meaning Barbour can't help get new blood elected or "No" we don't have any time?

The latter I am more inclined to believe, but hell, I don't mind anybody trying.  Gotta pass the time somehow!

I'm at the "sh*t or get off the pot phase" where I can vacillate between caring and not caring...

No to Perry.

It's not as though he's just now come to my attention; I've been aware of some of his issues for a bit and I'm not enamored with him..... at all.