Author Topic: This day in history  (Read 1645 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
This day in history
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:26:29 AM »
Today in history was the first time the U.S. Army ever attacked U.S. Veterans (The 1932 Bonus Army) and their families.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

At 4:45 p.m., commanded by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered[citation needed] the cavalry to charge them—an action which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!"

After the cavalry charged, the infantry, with fixed bayonets and tear gas (adamsite, an arsenical vomiting agent) entered the camps, evicting veterans, families, and camp followers. The veterans fled across the Anacostia River to their largest camp and President Hoover ordered the assault stopped. However Gen. MacArthur, feeling the Bonus March was an attempt to overthrow the U.S. government, ignored the President and ordered a new attack. Fifty-five veterans were injured and 135 arrested.[12] A veteran's wife miscarried. When 12-week-old Bernard Myers died in the hospital after being caught in the tear gas attack, a government investigation reported he died of enteritis, while a hospital spokesman said the tear gas "didn't do it any good."[16]

During the military operation, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, later the 34th President of the United States, served as one of MacArthur's junior aides.[17] Believing it wrong for the Army's highest-ranking officer to lead an action against fellow American war veterans, he strongly advised MacArthur against taking any public role: "I told that dumb son-of-a-***** not to go down there," he said later. "I told him it was no place for the Chief of Staff."[18] Despite his misgivings, Eisenhower later wrote the Army's official incident report which endorsed MacArthur's conduct.[19]

Don't doubt they won't hesitate to do it again.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: This day in history
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:22:22 AM »
Moved to "History" section.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:02:36 AM »
I thought the first was the Whiskey Rebellion?

Messing with my bonus is one thing, messing with my booze really sets me off!

But to your point...between the purges and the social transformation...the chances of a bad situation turning horribly wrong is increasing with each passing day...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:20:19 AM »
Wasn't there something about the soldiers in the Revolutionary war in New England?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:11 AM »
Shay's Rebellion 1786-1787 in Massachusettes, over taxation and debt collection, state militia called out.

The Whiskey Rebellion was 1794 in Pennsylvania over taxing whiskey.  Fries Rebellion in 1799-1800 was in Pennsyvania too and was over a Federal tax on property and never involved a lot of people.

The Battle of Athens in 1946 remains a key event for those of us who place unyielding value on our Second Amendment rights!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
Moved to "History" section.

Thanks. Not enough caffeine this morning.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson