Author Topic: Persians hit with another worm  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Persians hit with another worm
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.52b1c572200691378e42eaf823edf1d3.4e1&show_article=1

'Jalali urged the foreign ministry to take appropriate measures amid the ongoing "cyber attacks" against Iran, and said efforts to contain Stuxnet were still ongoing, Mehr reported. '

Heh.  I think their ability to stay ahead of the cyber attacks is greatly ex agerated!

More please!

And then bomb the bastards back into the stone age!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Persians hit with another worm
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:16:22 AM »
I wonder if there's a way to send them a dose of syphilis too ?   ::evil::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »

Would have to infect camels and goats first?!

::rimshot::

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:36 AM »

Would have to infect camels and goats first?!

::rimshot::

" Ship of the Desert " ... Full of Arab Semen ...  ;D

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »

Hope the fellow that stuck in the thumb, hope he stays safe.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »
Glad to see that this thing is being a huge monkey wrench in the gears. However, it illustrates the damage that could be unleashed by competent programmers working with the full resources of a nation's intelligence services behind them, i.e. somebody could do it to us too. From what I've read about the Stuxnet worm, the team who wrote it (its complexity and knowledge of industrial processes makes it almost certainly a collaborative effort) was very meticulous in making it target only systems that met a particular profile. One of its triggers is detection of industrial motors running at a certain frequency -- the range expected from centrifuge motors. This discriminating behavior was due only to the goals of its creators. Malicious use of the concept could wreak havoc on anything from traffic lights to operating room ventilators. Siemens' PLCs are used everywhere, along with similar equipment from competitors like Honeywell.

It would not surprise me at all if Siemens itself was a clandestine participant in the creation of this worm. Their equipment and software in Iran was obtained via black market, so it's not like they're at risk of losing a legitimate paying customer.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
Good points G.  Pretty much everything now is computerized, so all users are at risk.  And in stuff like this it sure seems like the predators have a leg up on their prey.

I often wonder why we as a nation do not pitch an offer they cannot refuse to the best hackers in our midst...unlimited resources to wreak havoc on our enemies and create defenses to minimize the effect of attacks on us.  It seems to me it would be worth almost any cost to get these characters working for us.  Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, but it sure seems like the trouble-makers are more clever than the people designing all our systems.