Author Topic: Reforming Civil Asset Forfeiture: Reducing police corruption  (Read 970 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
Civil asset forfeiture has become big for many police departments around the country in the last couple of decades.   It's also become a big source of corruption.   For many of those departments they have become addicted to the income it can bring in to an "underfunded" department.   So they go out looking for it.

When they don't find it,  some innocent is often victimized and their property stolen.   I have heard stories of small businessmen losing large sums of cash etc,  due to mere traffic stops (another reason not not allow a search of your so called private vehicle).   There is often no due process for your property,  and getting it returned is often impossible  or very expensive.  They don't even have to charge you with a crime, let alone a conviction,  they decide they want to seize it, and its so.  All they have to do is "suspect" you may be using it, or obtained it using illegal means. 

Congressman Tim Walberg of Michigan would like to roll it back some.   Frankly it may be that the closing the barn door after the pigs have escaped at this point.   

http://dailysignal.com/2014/07/31/legislation-introduced-curb-civil-forfeitures-perverse-incentives

Forfeiture is like traffic tickets as far as I am concerned.   Making them a item to add to a budget is only asking for trouble.    It breeds corruption. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Reforming Civil Asset Forfeiture: Reducing police corruption
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:05:47 AM »
Where is the due process?  There is none.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:53 AM »
The due process will occur when they go to the wrong guys house and the statist theives get what they deserve.  I suspect they are targeting low-hanging fruit...those who will not give them what they deserve.

Soon though, they'll reap the bitter harvest.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
And...they are still picking ripe fruit...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-26/they-just-want-money-how-irs-can-seize-accounts-suspicion-alone

Interestingly, the Fedcoat quantity of money that is allowable decree is also in play, and these cases confirm that the definition is elastic as to the needs of the State.

“I don’t think they’re really interested in anything,” Mr. Potashnik said of the prosecutors. “They just want the money.”

This, is clearly an indication of several things:

1) A government transitioning from Republican liberty to authoritarian tyranny

2) A society in decay unable to fight injustice within the system because the system has already been corrupted beyond the point of restoration

3) A sign that the breaking point between a people and its overlords is about to be breached

We are living in tyranny and it goes daily.

See y'all at the party!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
These are the actions of a government that no longer works for the people.  Then again, when the typical America can be placated with a small monthly check, they no longer want a government that works for them, anyway.