Author Topic: SCOTUS Rejects Expedited Appeal of ObamaCare  (Read 1982 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: SCOTUS Rejects Expedited Appeal of ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »
They want to see more appellate action.  They want to see what opinion predominates apparently.  And they think it is moving fast enough through the courts. 

I bet that proglodyte whore Kagan will die first than recuse herself from this issue when it comes!  There better be some action out of Roberts if that happens!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
Naturally it is the people who pay the price in this struggle since every day that it is allowed to stand is another day that the cancer is allowed to grow and do its damage. And the dhimmicrats know it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »
Who on SCOTUS is responsible for deciding to accept/reject cases?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
Yeah, how did the votes go down?
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
I don't think that info ever gets disclosed.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »
Selection of cases

Since the Judiciary Act of 1925 ("The Certiorari Act" in some texts), the majority of the Supreme Court's jurisdiction has been discretionary.[3] Each year, the court receives approximately 10,000 petitions for certiorari, of which approximately 100 are granted plenary review with oral arguments, and an additional 50 to 60 are disposed of without plenary review.[4][5] In theory, each Justice's clerks write a brief for the Justice outlining the questions presented, and offering a recommendation as to whether certiorari should be granted; in practice, most Justices (all of the current court, except Justice Alito) have their clerks participate in the cert pool.[6][7]

During the Justices' regular conference, the Justices discuss the petitions, and grant certiorari in less than five percent of the cases filed. (During the 1980s and 1990s, the number of cases accepted and decided each term approached 150 per year; more recently, the number of cases granted has averaged well under 100 annually). Before each conference, the Chief Justice prepares a list of those petitions he believes have sufficient merit to warrant discussion. Any other Justice may also add a case to the "discuss list"; cases not designated for discussion by any Justice are automatically denied review. The Court or a Justice may also decide that a case be "re-listed" for discussion at a later conference; this occurs, for example, where the Court decides to request input from the Solicitor General of the United States on whether a petition should be granted.[8]

The votes of four Justices at Conference (see Rule of four) will suffice to grant certiorari and place the case on the court's calendar. If the Supreme Court grants certiorari (or the certified question or other extraordinary writ), then a briefing schedule is arranged for the parties to submit their briefs in favor of or against a particular form of relief. During this time, an individual or group having an interest in a case but is not a party to the case may submit a motion to appear before the court as amicus curiae ("friend of the court"). Except for certain specific categories (such as lawyers for state and local governments) or where all parties to the case consent, it is in the Court's discretion whether such motions are granted.

The grant or denial of certiorari petitions by the Court are usually issued as one-sentence orders without explanation.

Cases that fall within the Court's original jurisdiction are initiated by filing a complaint directly with the Supreme Court, and normally are assigned to a special master appointed by the Court for the taking of evidence and making recommendations, after which the Court may accept briefs and hear oral arguments as in an appellate case.

Wiki
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Yeah, so four of 'em so no need to nip this in the bud before it causes more untold harm to the economy and the nation.

Color me disappointed...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »
Yeah, so four of 'em so no need to nip this in the bud before it causes more untold harm to the economy and the nation.

Color me disappointed...

I guess we can take "comfort" in the fact that our entire economic foundation is going to collapse under the weight of all this crap, so it's going to be quashed one way or another.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »

Color me disappointed...

I guess we can take "comfort" in the fact that our entire economic foundation is going to collapse under the weight of all this crap, so it's going to be quashed one way or another.

Yeah.  Nobody is interested in the right way anymore.  Selfishness and the ends drive all.  One more item to throw into the wrong side of the ledger.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
And now, as for the VA case, which got tossed in with the Liberty U challenge, is going to be heard by a 4th Curcuit panel...and that panel was selected by...computer!

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/05/10/judges-hearing-arguments-obama-law-appointed-democrats?test=latestnews

Apparently the computer did not factor in affiliation or conflicts of interest.  This court should not be handing over the fate of millions of citizens to a machine.

We are about to be terminated...

::facepalm::

::gaah::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »
And now, as for the VA case, which got tossed in with the Liberty U challenge, is going to be heard by a 4th Curcuit panel...and that panel was selected by...computer!

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/05/10/judges-hearing-arguments-obama-law-appointed-democrats?test=latestnews

Apparently the computer did not factor in affiliation or conflicts of interest.  This court should not be handing over the fate of millions of citizens to a machine.

We are about to be terminated...

::facepalm::

::gaah::

Yip. The panel hearing the appeal is liberal.

SCOTUSBlog: Liberal panel on health care
Three of the more liberal judges on the Fourth Circuit Court are randomly selected to hear Tuesday’s arguments on the constitutionality of the new federal health care law.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson