Author Topic: Auto Writer Jailed for Speeding  (Read 1624 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
Auto Writer Jailed for Speeding
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
Here is another from the WTF files:

Never Speed in Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days in Jail

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

Auto writer was jailed for three days due to speeding in Car he was writing about (a Camaro ZL1).   What a waste of tax dollars. 

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Auto Writer Jailed for Speeding
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
Jeepers. 93 in a 55. Just a few more MPH he coulda doubled the speed limit!  ::cool::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
NASCAR country, too far to find a track to use, wtf any road will do.   ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »
My personal best was a radar for 117 - in a 35.  :o

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »
Jeepers. 93 in a 55. Just a few more MPH he coulda doubled the speed limit!  ::cool::

If he could have reached 3rd gear, he could have nailed it.

In that time, I had been warned repeatedly — by ex-Virginia resident Matt Hardigree, by many of our readers, and by a host of other people — that you don't ever speed in Virginia. But I had no clue just how serious the consequences would be. Maybe "serious" isn't the right word. After everything that happened, "ridiculous" seems a little more accurate.

And yet you chose to ignore those warnings. Hard headed much?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:45:19 AM »
My personal best was a radar for 117 - in a 35.  :o

My radar number isn't that high, 90 in a 55 (but popping off got me a few other charges, bastids!), but the HP interceptor estimate and grudging admiration of my persuers (a long long time ago..I was still a minor, thankfully!) was somewhere north of 145.  My needle was buried, I had to take their word for it.

::devil::

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »
The highest I got clocked for was 93 in a 45.   Only got a warning (from the state police to boot),  I think due to the fact that nobody including a judge would have believed the car I was driving would even do 93!   I think it was near shift change time too,  I would have delayed his going home for the day.    About a dozen co-workers saw me pulled over,  nobody believed me that I didn't get a ticket either.    But I still had my drivers license,  free of staple holes. 

Seems kind of dumb for GM to hold such an event in a state like that.   But of course its GM,  the stupid company. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »
The two times I have been pulled over for speeding it was by highway patrol.  "Warning" is not in their vocabulary.  Both times it was 69 in a 55.  It's all just a money making racket for the state.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 06:56:07 AM »
It's a money-making racket for most states, counties and cities.

The only people I hear getting off of tickets any more are medical professionals...my sister the RN has gotten off a few times...

I'm sure if a fellow LEO got pulled over after duty they too get a free pass...there are always more pockets to pick...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »
The two times I have been pulled over for speeding it was by highway patrol.  "Warning" is not in their vocabulary. 

The last 2 times I've been speeding was in the early 90's on my Harley. You have to understand the speedometer was broken both times. In fact, it was broken the majority of the time I had the bike.

1) I was coming home after going to the carwash and I was "blow drying" it. I was cruising and pasted a state trooper. I saw his lights come on so I just went ahead and pulled over. By the time he got turned around and caught up with me, I had my helmet off and was smoking a cigarette. First thing he said was "nice bike" (it was 15 yrs old). He then asked if I knew how fast I was going (to which I was clueless). When he told me I was going 70 in a 55, I said "Damn! I didn't think the old girl still had it in her!"
He laughed and let me go.

2) The last time I was going to cruise to a little antique capital we have about an hour away. I got off the interstate and proceded to get stopped by a city policeman. Told me I was going 55 in a 35. Could be. I was still in second gear fixing to hit 3rd. Told me if I was going 1 mph more, I'd go directly to jail. Paid the fine, but figured I'd keep riding even with a lighter wallet. Left and proceeded to break clutch cable. Went home before I destroyed anything else.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson