Author Topic: Raising rabbits and chickens on the cheap.  (Read 7333 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Raising rabbits and chickens on the cheap.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »
Did anybody look through the thread-link I posted?  There's some about growing feed/fodder in it.

Yep - read it and bookmarked it. Looking at the pictures the OP provided I immediate recognized the background and said: "Hey, that guy lives in Western Washington!" The next post he confirms that he does indeed live on Puget Sound about an hour north of me.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 06:41:25 AM »
I'm gonna have to dig into this topic some more and then run it by my BIL, he raised rabbits growing up, and their meat is supposed to be pretty good, that and the aforementioned quick breeding cycles...if this solves the feed issue then chicken and rabbits seem the best SHTF meat supply (and egg!) solution.  And I don't know about rabbits, but isn't some measure of disease prevention required for either?  Maybe we've had this discussion before...getting a deja vu vibe.  Anyway, good thread, one I'll be referencing often I suspect!
 ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »
I'm gonna have to dig into this topic some more and then run it by my BIL, he raised rabbits growing up, and their meat is supposed to be pretty good, that and the aforementioned quick breeding cycles...if this solves the feed issue then chicken and rabbits seem the best SHTF meat supply (and egg!) solution.  And I don't know about rabbits, but isn't some measure of disease prevention required for either?  Maybe we've had this discussion before...getting a deja vu vibe.  Anyway, good thread, one I'll be referencing often I suspect!
 ::thumbsup::

Yeah rabbits seem to be the way to go-- provided your wife isn't allergic and will die if she touches them.. and yes they can be a disease vector - as can chickens.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:38 AM »
  My father raised them for years because of a cholesterol issue and his doctor said he could eat all he wanted and since his first love BEEF was off the table he did that.   But the only problem he ever had was ear mites which he cleaned up with peroxide on a paper towel and a few drops of mineral oil.

His thing was to keep the cages clean as hell and their food and water fresh and no over crowding ever. He had a thing for Flemish giants because of their growth rate versus food needs.

All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie