Author Topic: Hitting a balloon at 1,000 yards with a 9mm handgun  (Read 846 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Hitting a balloon at 1,000 yards with a 9mm handgun
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:46:34 PM »
I'm sure you've seen videos of Jerry Miculek before.  Guy has freakish ability with a gun.  He hits things with handguns at distances most people couldn't do with a rifle and high powered scope.

Here is his most recent feat, hitting a balloon at 1,000 yards with a 9mm S&W revolver:

WORLD RECORD 1000 yard shot with a 9mm Hand Gun! | S&W 929 by Jerry Miculek
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Hitting a balloon at 1,000 yards with a 9mm handgun
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
More than a few vids. He's not only an excellent shot, but married into a shooting family just north of here in Shreveport. Livin' the life!

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 06:57:37 AM »
He's won what?  A semi-trailer load of champion trophies?  Guy is a machine.  The delay from shot fired to target hit from the shooters position is impressive...1000 yards?!  Unfrigginbelievable!

::bows::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
It's also a reminder of why I usually avoid comments on YouTube videos. People seem to think nitpicking at others' accomplishments is somehow an accomplishment in its own right.

There are people who think it is worth pointing out that the bullet did not make a direct hit on the balloon, and it was popped by jacket fragments from where it hit (slightly left and low of the balloon).  Did they not consider that landing a 9mm bullet from a short barrel gun anywhere on that steel at 1,000 yards is a feat 95% of them could never accomplish?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
It's also a reminder of why I usually avoid comments on YouTube videos. People seem to think nitpicking at others' accomplishments is somehow an accomplishment in its own right.

There are people who think it is worth pointing out that the bullet did not make a direct hit on the balloon, and it was popped by jacket fragments from where it hit (slightly left and low of the balloon).  Did they not consider that landing a 9mm bullet from a short barrel gun anywhere on that steel at 1,000 yards is a feat 95% of them could never accomplish?

Yes, hence the nitpicking.

Fran Porretto wrote today's essay on the basis of  "I'm as good as you" as a lie told to oneself in an attempt to ameliorate the pain caused by the truth.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »

More like 99%

People are jerks on the intarwebz. What that guy did was impressive - I doubt that I could even see the balloon at that distance ;')

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 06:50:41 AM »

More like 99%

People are jerks on the intarwebz. What that guy did was impressive - I doubt that I could even see the balloon at that distance ;')

Yup.

And I bet I would struggle with hitting that thing at 1/10th the distance with any friggin' pistol.  People nitpicking this should be slapped silly!

PS-Fran's post is pretty good!  The urge to get in their face and dare them to prove it is strong in me, but behind that asinine blather they spout is the self-knowledge that they know they are not as good as me or you, so their only recourse (so typical of progs!) is to lower every one else to make it appear we are all the same.  We are not all the same, if we are fortunate we have skills and abilities and knowledge that is useful that others may not possess in great abundance and leveraging these strengths together for the betterment of both should be the goal, but the damned progs mess with the winning formula and muck everything up and create jealousies and resentments, punish success and reward sloth, stupidity and incompetence, they pit people against people and create division where no division was ever meant to exist!!!

Progs need to be put down like rabid dogs, it is the only way to eradicate the terminal virus.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.