Author Topic: FLA to reduce regs on 20 professions  (Read 993 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
FLA to reduce regs on 20 professions
« on: April 25, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
Let the wailing begin.

Working its way through the Florida legislature is a bill that would reduce regulations on 20 professions. A provision in the bill to eliminate a requirement for interior design licensing is raising hackles across the state and country. Free-market advocates are arguing that deregulation is a liberty issue and members of the establishment interior design community contending that licenses keep patrons safe.

Indeed one interior designer testifying before the Florida House Business and Consumer Affairs subcommittee claimed that eliminating licensing requirements in Florida would contribute to 88,000 deaths annually.

Oh, good grief.  Why didn't they just come out and say "it's for the children".  I want to see evidence of how 88K deaths are now avoided by licensing paint-color-pickers and drape-hangers.

The absurd rationalizations continue:

We believe we should have the right to be licensed,” David said,

Huh?  "Right"?  Meh.  Translation:  "we believe we should have the right to demand competitors be licensed".

“The only thing licensing does for our members is if you work in a code-based environment … the license allows you to work in a commercial area where you need to be able to pull permits and know how codes are applied.”

Schmuck.  Any homeowner attempting construction/renovation is required to do just that - without a license.

Opponents to licensing say it’s an example of an overly regulated society, and that establishment designers are using the the issue to control the market.

In an editorial published in Forbes, Chip Mellor, president and general counsel of the Institute for Justice, pointed out that one in three American workers require government permission to pursue their job.

In order to obtain a license one must complete six years of interior design education and apprenticeship, pass an exam, pay $30 for an application and spend $125 on a licensing fee every two years.

Clark Neily, Institute for Justice’s senior attorney, told TheDC that the law is another manifestation of lobbyists taking the upper hand on freedom.

“Interior design is absolutely a textbook example of an anti-competitive licensing law that was put on the books by the lobbying efforts of industry insiders,” said Neily. “They claim to believe that only people who hold credentials can do interior design effort. Anytime they have been forced to show evidence that there is a problem with unlicensed interior design they are unable to do so.”

According to Americans for Prosperity, practicing interior design without a license is punishable by up to a year in prison or a civil fine.

The interior design establishment has mounted a lobbying effort to stop the regulatory reform effort, hiring the most influential lobbyist in Florida, Ron Book.

“The governor down there, who has now become unpopular, has been movement toward deregulating everything,” said Davis. “So I think he went to his leadership they are Republican and Tea Party and basically developed this deregulation bill that would deregulate.”

The bill also proposes deregulating talent and sport agencies, hair braiders, water vending machines, ballroom dance studios and television picture tubes.

"Ballroom dance studios"?!  Another "safety" issue?

http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/25/interior-design-throwdown/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: FLA to reduce regs on 20 professions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:37:31 PM »
 Licenses are another revenue generator for the government and a way for so-called professions to control who practices the profession.  Plus many people want to believe the license is a guarantee of compentency.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »
Yep.  "Hair-braiding" license?

I cut my own hair.  I know competence when I see it, I don't need the gummint certifying that for me.

I believe what those "professionals" are called who declare their "right" to be licensed ::snort:: is rent-seekers.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
The interior design establishment has mounted a lobbying effort to stop the regulatory reform effort, hiring the most influential lobbyist in Florida, Ron Book.

“The governor down there, who has now become unpopular, has been movement toward deregulating everything,” said Davis. “So I think he went to his leadership they are Republican and Tea Party and basically developed this deregulation bill that would deregulate.”

[Huh? Come again?]

The bill also proposes deregulating talent and sport agencies, hair braiders, water vending machines, ballroom dance studios and television picture tubes.

Tell me this is from the Onion, please.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
The Onion has nothing on reality these days, matter of fact, it'll probably put satire out of business.

IOW, you just can't make this stuff up.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
 I can garandamtee that not one pillow fluffer voted for him. Let him dump every damn block in the way of people opening business in this state,
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
88000 deaths!!!

::laughonfloor::   ::rolllaughing::   ::hysterical::

These asshats cannot be serious!!!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
How about  "The Oldest Profession" or is that still OJT ?

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
88000 deaths!!!

::laughonfloor::   ::rolllaughing::   ::hysterical::

These asshats cannot be serious!!!

It would be like dying in a tragic stamp collecting accident .  ;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »
 ::hysterical::

You're a oner, you are, SH.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
Proper credit, full names and titles, ect are needed  ;)

Don Davis, director of government and public affairs for the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)

Obviously not to be confused with Skully's father, nor General Hammond.

Why?  Because I demand my curtain picker have available, the services of a "director of government and public affairs."