Author Topic: Tony Stewart (NASCAR) Hits Other Race Car Driver...May Be Criminal Act  (Read 3935 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Happened at 10PM local time in NY at a sprint car (dirt) track near the Watkins Glen NASCAR track.

"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

Police would confirm only that they are investigating an undisclosed incident that took place at approximately 10 p.m. during a sprint-car race at the half-mile dirt track north of Syracuse.

Rumors on Twitter that Kevin Ward is dead. Not a rumor at all that local law enforcement is "investigating." More coming soon.

LINK
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
UPDATE: Tony Stewart (NASCAR) KILLS Other Race Car Driver...May Be Felony
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 02:08:53 AM »
Breaking: Kevin Ward died from injuries sustained from being struck by Tony Stewart's car.

Never thought something like this could happen. Manslaughter minimum. Possible homicide.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Breaking: Kevin Ward died from injuries sustained from being struck by Tony Stewart's car.

Never thought something like this could happen. Manslaughter minimum. Possible homicide.

Why do you say that Trap? Looks to me like Stewart saw him after it was too late, veered and gunned it trying to swerve. The guy was standing in the middle of the track where no one in their right mind would be, and where no other driver would ever expect him to be.

Even if Stewart DID do it on purpose - and I can't imagine that he did - I don't see how any jury gets from point A: a guy out of his car on foot aggressively charging toward oncoming traffic - to point B: homicide or even manslaughter.

The whole thing looks to have been Ward's fault, from my point of view. He did everything exactly wrong, and placed himself in danger.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Tony Stewart (NASCAR) Hits Other Race Car Driver...May Be Criminal Act
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
I do agree that Ward acted stupidly BUT...

1) this happened under caution,

2) Stewart caused the wreck that initiated the caution so he had gone around once when he came back on the car & driver and knew what to expect,

3) other cars had no problem avoiding Ward,

4) Steward is a professional driver with many years experience with how a sprint car operates under all circumstances,

5) witnesses said that he gunned his engine at the precise moment necessary to cause the rear of the car to swing out as it did and strike Ward.

I am not saying that Stewart intended to strike or kill Ward but it does appear that he was attempting to send him a signal as he went past the driver and that action had the result of striking and killing Ward.

There will almost certainly be other videos which will be used to determine the result of an investigation but this is very bad at even this early point in the incident. Stewart will be unable to say anything to anyone about his side of the story because of advice from counsel pending a potential trial.

I suppose we will see what happens shortly.

UPDATE: Stewart has just now decided that he will not race in today's NASCAR Spring Cup race at Watkins Glen. Hard to believe that it took this long for that to happen. Regan Smith will be driving the #14 car in his place.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:37:41 AM by trapeze »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
Re; your #5 is where I think any accusation will break down, right or wrong. Did he gun it to try and send a message or swerve into him, or did he gun it because he was startled by a man charging towards him on the track, and tried in vain to swerve and miss him?

I agree that his failure to bow out of Watkins Glen immediately was callous, and HORRIBLE PR optics under the circumstances.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:56:52 AM »
This definitely looks bad...the video of the incident is disturbing, and while IDP may be right about intent and proving it in a criminal trial, it may be that regardless of the findings of any investigation or criminal/civil trial, it may be between Tony, Kevin and God what really happened and why.  I do think the idiot Kevin walking around the track like that was wreckless and stupid, if there are charges intent is going to be hard to prove so something on the order of manslaughter would be the most any criminal charge would likely go, and chances are a civil suit may prove just as damaging, Tony's career to say the least is over, salvaging lives and souls is all that should matter now.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:14:23 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
Not that my opinion counts for much, but I agree entirely with IDP.  I have witnessed foolish rage, self-endangerment, and people having to take extreme measures to keep from killing an idiot on a rampage.  I have also saved the life of a moped driver without headlights one night on a country road, as a slid sideways toward him, I gunned the engine and my rear end narrowly missed him.   Had it tagged him, would someone have claimed I was trying to kill him?  Now my reaction time is not nearly so fast. If the same incident happened tonight, he would surely die. But, there would be no intent.
These charges we are discussing should be the highest level of proof and doubtlessness.  (Beyond a reasonable shadow of doubt.) I cannot imagine that occurring here if 12 thinking men sit on the jury. He may have to hope for one or two and a deadlock, but doubt should exist in a reasonable mind.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »
No intent, but I see a manslaughter charge at least since Ward died. Even if it was by his own stupidity.

Also look for sharks....uh, lawyers to get involved with a civil suit.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »
After watching the video, several times, understanding Tony Stewart has a temper, I have no doubt he gunned the car under caution ( I mean, he did it, there is no question), my opinion to send a message, and it went horribly wrong. Frankly, you swerve to miss someone, especially when driving in a straight line, not speed up. This was not under a racing condition, where the cars are literally sliding thru the corners.

I don't know if there should be any punishment, I'm having a hard time thinking Tony Stewart isn't facing defending himself against a manslaughter charge.

Cooler heads didn't prevail, and if I'm NASCAR, I institute some serious  rules in regards to leaving your car to chase someone down.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 06:34:55 AM »
No intent, but I see a manslaughter charge at least since Ward died. Even if it was by his own stupidity.

Also look for sharks....uh, lawyers to get involved with a civil suit.

Yup, could be worse than the a potential criminal trial where the standards are higher, I have no doubt the bloodsuckers will be out in force.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
After watching the video, several times, understanding Tony Stewart has a temper, I have no doubt he gunned the car under caution ( I mean, he did it, there is no question), my opinion to send a message, and it went horribly wrong. Frankly, you swerve to miss someone, especially when driving in a straight line, not speed up. This was not under a racing condition, where the cars are literally sliding thru the corners.

I don't know if there should be any punishment, I'm having a hard time thinking Tony Stewart isn't facing defending himself against a manslaughter charge.

Cooler heads didn't prevail, and if I'm NASCAR, I institute some serious  rules in regards to leaving your car to chase someone down.

I agree, I think intent is going to be very hard to prove and even a manslaughter charge is no slam-dunk, could be situation where if he is charged he could get off the hook at trial but the civil case could bankrupt him.

I think what NASCAR should do and likely will (they are an over-officious group of goons anyway who already regulate every little thing!) is restrict drivers to going only one level down from their primary level, this case of mixing older/experienced/aggressive drivers with younger/less experienced/amped-up drivers is a recipe calling for disaster, we already see minor issues with wrecklessness when Cup drivers race in Nationwide races, going to lower levels (while it has been good PR for smaller local tracks) just heightens those disparities.  It sucks because I like it when drivers like Matt Kenseth come to Elko.  But frankly I am surprised we went this long without something like this happening.

And there should be something done, like immediately halt the race and drag a guy off if he wanders out onto the track and suspend him for a race or two...take driver/team points away...let them rant and rave in the pits and if they want to chase the guy down on foot after the race and kick his ass I say NASCAR should let 'em.  They have to be given some outlet or they will take it out on each other on the track.  That is where NASCAR always gets it wrong...the punish the on-track and off-track stuff...there has to be an outlet and they only seem interested in sealing up every outlet.

But I am a dinosaur, I like the old NASCAR, the one with moonshine runners and tough guys...not the evolution into metrosexual Hollywood dandies they've been pushing...

Which is why this thing with Stewart sucks, he was one of the few left who was more dinosaur than metro...

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
Heard Rush say there is a report Stewart will not face criminal charges.  The authorites must have viewed the act of walking out on the track as too wreckless and lacking any other evidence of intent they had bupkis.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 12:25:28 PM »
Heard Rush say there is a report Stewart will not face criminal charges.  The authorites must have viewed the act of walking out on the track as too wreckless and lacking any other evidence of intent they had bupkis.

WTF? When did logic come into play?

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:32 AM »

WTF? When did logic come into play?

I dunno, momentary lapse into sanity...don't look a gift horse in the mush, eh?

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »
Rush was right after all...no criminal charges.

And Kevin Ward's system was full of chronic...don't smoke and drive, dude...   ::facepalm::

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2768427/NASCAR-champion-Tony-Stewart-cleared-charges-crash-killed-drier.html

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »
Rush was right after all...no criminal charges.

And Kevin Ward's system was full of chronic...don't smoke and drive, dude...   ::facepalm::

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2768427/NASCAR-champion-Tony-Stewart-cleared-charges-crash-killed-drier.html

In a normal world, that would be enough to stifle any civil suit.

Thomas Jefferson