Author Topic: Reagan press secretary Jim Brady dies  (Read 1482 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Reagan press secretary Jim Brady dies
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
WASHINGTON (AP) — A major trait that endeared Jim Brady to the Washington press corps was his sense of humor, especially when he made fun of his own boss.

When Ronald Reagan was campaigning for president in 1980, Reagan drew scorn from environmentalists for saying that trees were a greater source of pollution than cars. Aboard the campaign plane, Brady pointed at a forest fire in the distance and yelled, "Killer trees! Killer trees!" to the great amusement of reporters.

After the election, Reagan's advisers appeared hesitant to appoint him press secretary. Nancy Reagan was said to feel the job required someone younger and better-looking than the 40-year-old, moon-faced, balding Brady.

"I come before you today not as just another pretty face but out of sheer talent," Brady told reporters. A week later, he got the job.

Brady, who died Monday at 73, would need humor and much more after March 30, 1981. On that day John Hinckley Jr. attempted to assassinate Reagan outside the Washington Hilton Hotel just two months into the new president's term. Reagan nearly died from a chest wound. Three others, including Brady, were struck by bullets from Hinckley's handgun.

Shot in the head, Brady lived through hours of delicate surgery and then many more operations over the years. But he never recovered the normal use of his limbs and was often in a wheelchair. Besides partial paralysis from brain damage, he suffered short-term memory impairment, slurred speech and constant pain.

Still, along with his wife, Sarah, he went on to become the face and as much as possible the voice of the gun-control movement in the United States. A federal law requiring background checks for handgun buyers bears his name.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Reagan press secretary Jim Brady dies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »
Still, along with his wife, Sarah, he went on to become the face and as much as possible the voice of the gun-control movement in the United States.

Bull.  He was mentally impaired.

A federal law requiring background checks for handgun buyers bears his name.

No.  It bears her name; she used him.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
What Pan said, playbook dusted off for Gabby Giffords, presstitutes love it when cripples are exploited by fellow progs for leftist propaganda, moneylaundering and liberty suppression.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
I have often used this case as a proof that brain damage causes liberalism. Brady had been a good man before the brain damage. After that, he was just a liberal.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »
I have often used this case as a proof that brain damage causes liberalism. Brady had been a good man before the brain damage. After that, he was just a liberal.

Glad I am the exception to your rule.  Two aneurysm's burst causing my brain surgery in 2002.  Conservative before, during and after ----  ::thumbsup::  ::oldman::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »

Glad I am the exception to your rule.  Two aneurysm's burst causing my brain surgery in 2002.  Conservative before, during and after ----  ::thumbsup::  ::oldman::

Congrats!!

According to my wife, I must have been dropped on my head as a baby. But I'm still conservative.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
I chalked up everything thing Brady did post injury to brain damage from that shooting.  I feel sorry about the injuries he suffered.

That said,  unfortunately, his actions for the last thirty years of his life contributed to the lessening of the Constitution and the 2nd amendment.   Something his pre shooting self would have been horrified by.  In many ways Jim Brady did die that day on the sidewalk in DC in 1981.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »
My opinion -- post shooting was all his wife's doing.  Everytime something about handguns was on the tube it was her making her pitch, as was said earlier.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 05:35:22 AM »
My opinion -- post shooting was all his wife's doing.  Everytime something about handguns was on the tube it was her making her pitch, as was said earlier.

This is clearly true, too. And it points up to young people everywhere the need to marry with care and thought, not just because you are horny and stupid!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »
Again my opinion --- This is probably another 'little missy Brady' plus a couple of 'ambulance chaser, money grabbing attorneys', trying to rewrite the law.  Hinkley was already tried and convicted, sentenced to life in a mental hospital, came up for parole at least twice and denied --- can we say double jeopardy.  The leaches are coming for under the rocks again one more time for more $$$$$.    ::cussing::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
  All they can get out of this is publicity to be used as another run at guns. Even after his death they use him for their own gains.  Blood suckers.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
  All they can get out of this is publicity to be used as another run at guns. Even after his death they use him for their own gains.  Blood suckers.

The mother of all publicity stunts.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 06:49:18 AM »

The mother of all publicity stunts.

Just the bazillionth example of what a bunch of gutless soulless louts the DemonRats are.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »

The mother Wife of all publicity stunts.

Correction IMHO ---    ::whatgives:: ::oldman::
  She has been behind or at least the demorats front person for each and every Brady gun negativity since the shooting.