Author Topic: The "I Saw This Bit Of Music On The Net" Thread  (Read 40620 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
The "I Saw This Bit Of Music On The Net" Thread
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »
Don't ask my why.  It just works.  It really works.  Ladies & Gentlemen, I present My Paperback Sharona.

Go Home Productions: My Paperback Sharona (The Beatles vs The Knack)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The "I Saw This Bit Of Music On The Net" Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:11:50 AM »
That was weird, funny and surprisingly good.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Throw back to another generation  ::unknowncomic:: - need Naru jackets and striped bell bottoms to watch and listen to, while counting the bubbles rising in the lava lamp and hitting maryjane alot. [But who remembers if they were the "good old days", cause they certainly lead to the declines we see now  ::pullhair:: ]  If I still had one I have the urge to burn my draft card - because then I enlisted so couldn't do that --- shyt  ::oldman::
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:31:47 AM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
Very well produced - I liked it.

For the last few years my brother has kept me from turning total hermit by dragging me into the local bluegrass music scene. I think I've mentioned that we host a jam that features live band performances. This year will be the fifth year that I've produced the sound for the event.

I've also been lured back into playing. I used to play blues/rock in the SRV/Robin Trower/David Gilmour vein so the intricacies of bluegrass is a bit new to me. The songs themselves are simple enough but providing a suitable lead guitar riff has been challenging. I often find myself mashing up something from ZZ Top or Allman Bros....or The Beatles ;')

The reaction has been....interesting. There are purists (just like with practically anything) who sniff a bit or look down their nose at me - but they usually keep pretty quiet when everybody else is nodding and laughing and asking "where the heck did that come from!"

I hear the nuances and the patterns of songs and have always loved to thread them together. I also like doing the unexpected like playing a rock tune and inserting a riff from Sinatra's "Strangers in The Night" into the lead. Or "Farmer In The Dell" ;') Music should be fun and should make you feel better so I tend to tease those who get too stiff and grumpy about their music.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
I can do bluegrass in reasonable doses.

Hell's Bells by Hayseed Dixie

:supercool:

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »
Have known the banjo player since living in Florida.  Tim moved back to PA and now has his own group - Mountain Theraphy

Mountain Therapy w/guest Ray Bruckman - "Gold Rush"
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:49:19 AM »
Celebrating Jon Lord, featuring Ian Paice playing Ian Paice.  As the mid 70's version was really a dual singer lineup, returning to the fold to play Glenn Hughes is Glenn Hughes.  Taking the David Coverdale vocal part is our namesake, THE Bruce Dickinson.  As it apparently takes two keyboardists to take the place of Jon Lord, current DP keyboardist Don Airey is joined by Rick Wakeman to play the part of Jon Lord.  Result?

Celebrating Jon Lord 'Burn' ~ Official Celebrating

Sheer awesomeness.   ::guitar::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
Holy smokes that is awesome. I'm not usually a fan of the rock-band-expands-its-horizons-by-melding-with-a-full-orchestra maneuver. But that was perfect.

And holy smokes, Glenn Hughes killed it.

As a side note, what is the fascination of rock stars calling their audience motherf**kers? I don't get it. Especially in a venue like that, where everyone is pretty much over 40 and paying a hefty ticket price.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:33:25 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
That was kind of gratuitous, wasn't it?  And yes, to a crowd mostly 50 and up. 

So who in the 50 and up crowd ever thought they'd see Bruce Dickinson and Rick Wakeman sharing a stage?  What's next, Keith Emerson and Lemmy?

::evil::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
What do you do if you're a well known conservative lawyer and want to start a band, to kill some time?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEetdxNqqCY#t=36

Bring in John Elefante (Kansas) and John Schlitt (Head East, Petra) as your co lead singers, for starters.  Holy cow they're good!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
Head East is a name I have not heard in a long long time.

ACLJ, not just a bunch of lawyers.   ::thumbsup:: 

How long have these guys been together?  It has to be more than slick studio production...these guys sound like they could have been playing together for years.

About the only discredit I think of for Sekulow is he is known to have been one of the guys who helped get the Dread Traitor Roberts on the bench as Chief Robe Wearer.

::facepalm::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:37:10 AM »
Never Been Any Reason still gets played regularly on KQ.  Schlitt's story is pretty inspiring.  Was encouraged by record weasels to "party hard" to impress the execs.  Got so much into the partying lifestyle he was booted from Head East.  Hit rock bottom just to have his wife drag him to church and found God.  Got cleaned up.  Went back to a real job (engineering which is what he did before Head East.)  Then a few years later got the call from Petra looking for a singer.

Now he's semi retired, doing this kind of thing, and looking pretty good for now being north of 60.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:41:45 AM »
John Schlitt, John Elefante & Jay Sekulow - Never Been Any Reason (Head East)

Not every 60+ guy can still belt out the songs he sang in his youth.   ::thumbsup::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 07:46:06 AM »
Kansas - Play The Game Tonight

A little John Elefante in his prime.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
I liked Kansas back in the day, Head East was very underrated, good rockin' band.   ::thumbsup::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »
Jay Sekulow??? That's a curveball.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
I liked Kansas back in the day, Head East was very underrated, good rockin' band.   ::thumbsup::

I liked Kansas. They were doing some contemporary Christian before it became cool.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »
A couple of things rolling down my facebook wall.  Every notice the super technically adept musicians are getting younger and younger?

"6:00, Dream Theater" Avery Molek, 8 year old Drummer

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 02:02:37 PM »
2014.06.01 ??? ??? - Gangnam Style

Just because Gangnam Style always needed more cowbell.  ;D

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »
A couple of things rolling down my facebook wall.  Every notice the super technically adept musicians are getting younger and younger?

Yup. I'm loving it.

I didn't get started playing until 13 so I didn't qualify for the "Oh how cute - look at him!" deal then. Now, at the other end of the spectrum I'm still playing and now I am getting the "Oh how cute - look at him!" deal, but with an entirely different meaning ;')