Author Topic: "Who is Shell Oil?"  (Read 2060 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
"Who is Shell Oil?"
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
Energy in America: EPA Rules Force Shell to Abandon Oil Drilling Plans

Shell Oil Company has announced it must scrap efforts to drill for oil this summer in the Arctic Ocean off the northern coast of Alaska. The decision comes following a ruling by the EPA’s Environmental Appeals Board to withhold critical air permits. The move has angered some in Congress and triggered a flurry of legislation aimed at stripping the EPA of its oil drilling oversight.

Shell has spent five years and nearly $4 billion dollars on plans to explore for oil in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas. The leases alone cost $2.2 billion. Shell Vice President Pete Slaiby says obtaining similar air permits for a drilling operation in the Gulf of Mexico would take about 45 days. He’s especially frustrated over the appeal board’s suggestion that the Arctic drill would somehow be hazardous for the people who live in the area. “We think the issues were really not major,” Slaiby said, “and clearly not impactful for the communities we work in.”

(hat tip Market Ticker)
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: "Who is Shell Oil?"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
EPA should be stripped...

Yeah, whatever, talk talk talk!  That's all you a-holes do!

This Regime has been ripe for assault over its energy policy, or lack thereof for some time now, and nobody is doing jack squat about it.

It's all just talk...

Screw talk, act or surrender, there is no nuance!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
Shell should approach the state of Alaska (or vice-versa) and say, "Let's just do this thing."

Force the EPA to either mobilize actual physical forces intended on shutting down an ongoing operation, or stand down. Refuse to recognize its authority. Please. America needs this, now. Individual people cannot defy the federal government and have any hope of impact. An entire state in support of an entire industry would give us that hope.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:34:03 AM »
I'd go for that, take stones though...who's got stones?!

::falldownshocked::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »
An entire state in support of an entire industry would give us that hope.

In fact that is what State Governments are supposed to do according to the Federalist - serve as rallying point to fight the Fed if it gets out of hand. However,State power has been compromized in so many ways..  from the Federal Highway Funding to Obamacare that they may not be able to fight anymore.

Crony capitalism works that way. The Govt has the ability to make or break you... so you either pay  to play just to  survive, or you fail. And once you are paying, why not pay a little more and get some things that benefit you and hurt your competition. The ultimate power always lies with the govt though..  that is the choice they present to all of us.. become a leech on others, be a chump and let them leech off of you, or physically fight them and hope you win. Sadly the first two options usually present a lower cost and a higher benefit  when looking at the risks of each course. .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
An entire state in support of an entire industry would give us that hope.

In fact that is what State Governments are supposed to do according to the Federalist - serve as rallying point to fight the Fed if it gets out of hand. However,State power has been compromized in so many ways..  from the Federal Highway Funding to Obamacare that they may not be able to fight anymore.

Crony capitalism works that way. The Govt has the ability to make or break you... so you either pay  to play just to  survive, or you fail. And once you are paying, why not pay a little more and get some things that benefit you and hurt your competition. The ultimate power always lies with the govt though..  that is the choice they present to all of us.. become a leech on others, be a chump and let them leech off of you, or physically fight them and hope you win. Sadly the first two options usually present a lower cost and a higher benefit  when looking at the risks of each course. .

This is the paradigm of which I am so damn weary.  I just want to be left alone and I want my State and local governments to not only do so, but to defend my right to be so.

"Federal" money, with accompanying mandates, are so prolific now even local school boards won't buck it as long as the bloc grants/subsidies keep rolling in to fund their wants.

Point out that "the stimulus" went to State governments to keep them in business and people don't see the problem with that -- "at least it kept people off unemployment".  Argh.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
Yes, the bastardization of original federalism in a representative republic...

::gaah::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
Not to belabor another topic:

BIG OIL paid $100Billion $19Million in taxes this year.
Obama wants to take away some of their tax incentives.
The tax incentives apply to risky exploration.

No
No
No

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
Same for pharma.

Same for any demonized industry...which, unless you are in the Unicorn Fart industry (thanks G!)....includes just about everyone!