Author Topic: End of an Era  (Read 861 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
End of an Era
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »
Last night was the last night I will ever be able to go to our local, 5 screen drive in.
They are closing forever after this weekend.

When the studios forced everyone to go digital, the cost was too much.

There may be one left in my area.
Not sure, though.

For the record, we saw Ninja Turtles and Hercules.

Turtles was a hoot.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
That's a shame.  There is only one left in my area,  it's only one screen.   It has managed to make the move to digital,  so it safe for the moment.   I imagine having five screens probably hurt the ability of the one by you to make the change. 

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
Drive-ins are definitely becoming a piece of American history. We drove by one yesterday that still happens to be up and running. My wife and I commented on how vivid our memories are of the films we saw at the drive-in as children.

I remember at 5 years old, sitting in the back seat of my dad's new Plymouth FuryIII in my jammies, watching "Herbie the Love Bug" and "Planet of the Apes" double-feature. The sound and crackle of that cheap monophonic speaker; the mosquitoes; the sounds of other people nearby; the glow of the concession stand; the smell of popcorn; cars driving by slowly with their lights off... AND a LIVING CAR and TALKING APES!!!

And then of course as a teenager in the 70s... beer, girls, cheesy horror movies we barely paid attention to...

Our kids will never know what they're missing.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
My memories are just about identical...it was a kid thing and then a teenage thing. There is one in my area...but it's a long drive to get there. I don't know if it's going digital, though. Our local theater had to do a fundraiser to make the switch. Got to see "Guardians of the Galaxy" at it and it was very nice to not see any of the small faults that are always present with film.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:01:27 AM »
I can't remember the last time I saw a functioning drive in.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
  Sad indeed, I can't remember how many times we took the kids  to a drive in. We went early so they could blow off steam at the play ground our local dive in had.    They never made it through one movie ever. Neither did the wife now that I think about it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
They were done in my area by the time my kids came along. The last two were pulling light-duty hosting swap meets but they both succumbed to the bulldozer about two years ago.

A unique piece of Americana gone....

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
Not many left, lots of good memories, will have to seek one out for some nostalgia sometime.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »
My old boss has closed one small town theater, had one saved by a community fund raiser, and just announced a third was saved by a special deal with a mall owner trying to save his mall.  How fourth and final is his bread and butter, financed by himself.

It's tough for the little guy, with this mandate pushed by Big Hollywood.  The rich get richer and all...