Author Topic: How Great Thou Art  (Read 1977 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
How Great Thou Art
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
For those unfamiliar with modern country music, Vince Gill is like a next-generation godfather - a youngster compared to the old greats like Cash, Jennings, Nelson, Jones, etc, but Nashville royalty in his own right, having passed the superstar baton to younger folks while continuing to make great music. Carrie Underwood is a relative newbie, having graduated from "American Idol" several seasons ago to become the biggest star alumni from the show.

Their rendition of the standard "How Great Thou Art" brought the star-studded audience to its feet, and me to tears. Well worth the 5 minutes if you love Jesus and God-given talent. This girl is among the all-time greats.

Carrie Underwood w/ Vince Gill How Great thou Art - Standing Ovation!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: How Great Thou Art
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »
I had better luck with the youtube link, the embedded one was herky-jerky for me.

Girl did good.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »
I had better luck with the youtube link, the embedded one was herky-jerky for me.

Girl did good.

::thumbsup::

Gave me goose bumps!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »
Carrie Underwood's 'How Great Thou Art' Moves The Masses

It's no surprise that country music fans were anticipating the TV special Girls Night Out: Superstar Women of Country, which was taped at the 2011 Academy of Country Music Awards weekend earlier this month and aired Friday night on CBS. However, it was a gospel song performed at the show that unexpectedly crossed all boundary lines and created a viral sensation over the weekend.

Carrie Underwood was just one of many huge names in the allstar lineup, but her duet with Vince Gill of the classic standard "How Great Thou Art" managed to bring down the entire house--and internet, at that. According to Yahoo! data, searches for Underwood's rendition of the tune spiked a whopping 362% on Saturday.

If that weren't enough, the video of the performance has received nearly a million views, and has drawn extraordinarily high praise--with comments ranging from "Wow! God was in the house," "I am not a Christian but this is truly beautiful," "She? is an angel" to "This is the most moving version of that song I? have ever heard," "She rocks 'em and socks 'em," "I'm speechless."

One user even went where most dare not tread, and compared Underwood to the King himself--"I thought that nobody could come close to singing this song like Elvis did during his? concerts. I was wrong, Carrie put her heart and soul into this amazing version!"

Underwood and Gill's fellow stars in the audience appeared moved by the performance, as well. Martina McBride stares transfixed at the stage, the ordinarily humorous Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert watch reverently, while Sugarland's Kristian Bush nods his head and Jennifer Nettles mouths "What a voice."

After hitting the final, climactic notes, Underwood wrapped the powerful performance up with a hug for Gill. Then, she wiped away a few tears...and faced a standing ovation from her peers. How great, indeed.

Carrie Underwood w/ Vince Gill How Great thou Art - Standing Ovation!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson