Author Topic: Ah, Darn! Arctic Ice Increases by 43% to 63% Algore Hardest Hit  (Read 1395 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
LINK

The speech by former US Vice-President Al Gore was apocalyptic. ‘The North Polar ice cap is falling off a cliff,’ he said. ‘It could be completely gone in summer in as little as seven years. Seven years from now.’

Those comments came in 2007 as Mr Gore accepted the Nobel Peace Prize for his campaigning on climate change.

But seven years after his warning, The Mail on Sunday can reveal that, far from vanishing, the Arctic ice cap has expanded for the second year in succession – with a surge, depending on how you measure it, of between 43 and 63 per cent since 2012.

To put it another way, an area the size of Alaska, America’s biggest state, was open water two years ago, but is again now covered by ice.
The most widely used measurements of Arctic ice extent are the daily satellite readings issued by the US National Snow and Ice Data Center, which is co-funded by Nasa. These reveal that – while the long-term trend still shows a decline – last Monday, August 25, the area of the Arctic Ocean with at least 15 per cent ice cover was 5.62 million square kilometers.

This was the highest level recorded on that date since 2006 (see graph, right), and represents an increase of 1.71 million square kilometres over the past two years – an impressive 43 per cent.

Other figures from the Danish Meteorological Institute suggest that the growth has been even more dramatic. Using a different measure, the area with at least 30 per cent ice cover, these reveal a 63 per cent rise – from 2.7 million to 4.4 million square kilometres.

I'm groovin' on the sweet, sweet tears of Algore.

Mr Gore – whose office yesterday failed to respond to a request for comment – insisted then: ‘There is a 75 per cent chance that the entire polar ice cap during some of the summer months could be completely ice-free within five to seven years.’
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Ah, Darn! Arctic Ice Increases by 43% to 63% Algore Hardest Hit
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »
I know I am not alone in wanting to hit AlGore hard at any opportunity!

No doubt the cultists will still blame mankind anyway...

Logic, facts and reason are not in their theology.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »

I hope you're holding a baseball bat at the time.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:28:46 AM »

I hope you're holding a baseball bat at the time.

I hope I'm holding a crowbar! 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/labor-day-snow-alaska-wyoming-20140901

Light snow blankets Wind River Lake, Wyoming, along U.S. 26/287 on August 31, 2014.

In 1991, when we left NJ, by car, for CA, we got stuck in Wyoming at the end of October because of the first snow.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
Weather happens.   :supercool: