Author Topic: NC Senate debate  (Read 544 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
NC Senate debate
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
I didn't watch this turd-fest, but have been reading some of the articles about it.  You can see the GOP's consultant class at work here:

Appearing more confident and prepared than the incumbent, Tillis became the latest Republican Senate candidate to come out in support of expanding access to oral contraceptives. In a race with a wide gender gap, the state House speaker — who has been defending attacks from Democrats on women’s issues — for the first time went on the offense.

“First I believe contraception should be available — and probably more broadly than it is today,” Tillis said. “I actually agree with the American Medical Association that we should make contraception more widely available. I think over-the-counter oral contraception should be available without a prescription. If you do those kinds of things you will actually increase the access and reduce the barriers for having more options for women for contraception.”

::)

Why does everyone just accept this canard about contraception being somehow difficult to obtain?  You can go to any gas station or drug store and get contraception.  And I don't think women have had any great difficulty getting "the pill" in the last 50 years, have they?  I mean, isn't that why the whole of Western Civilization is so successfully contracepting itself out of existence?

That quote is from Politico, so you can rest assured the comments section is thoroughly nauseating.  I've noticed on all the articles about this debate, the comments sections are dominated by cut and paste whining about teacher salaries in NC.

The Democrats have run this state since the Civil War, but evidently everything they complain about only came to be in the past few years.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: NC Senate debate
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
 ::taz::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
Women who want the pill have to see a doctor regularly because there can be health risks.  Let me repeat that:  HEALTH RISKS.  Same with IUDs: HEALTH RISKS.

Watch: five minutes after the law mandating prescriptions and doctor monitoring for the pill goes away, there will be lawsuits about the POOR HEALTH SIDE EFFECTS.

With condoms, not so much.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
Exactly.  Birth control pills work by changing a woman's hormones.  That can have a lot of other endocrinological effects.  They're a prescribed drug for a reason.  The GOP is just showing how it's perennially Stuck On Stupid by thinking they can "out Democrat" the Democrats.  Medicare Part D, anyone?

And from where did this whole mythology originate, that there's somehow this great difficulty for women in 21st century America to obtain birth control pills?  As far as I can tell, it wasn't an issue until George Stephanopolous threw that planted question at Romney.  That was nothing more than prepping the battlefield for the whole Sandra Fluke thing that came later.  Meanwhile the pill has been around since the early 1960s and generations of women have used it, apparently without any great difficulty.  But now, suddenly, it's the new suffragette movement?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:51 AM »
It's probably just me, but Sen. Hag trying to beat up old Thom over the state education budget in a Federal Election is just a non-starter, loser argument. She plays into his argument: Taxes on the Federal level are too high and budgets have to get cut.

And besides, the Dem Pac that paid for that stupid ad with the kids on the boat dock was just a waste of money. Most North Carolinians know that no such new tax break for yacht owners was proposed or voted on by Thom.

Sen. Hag is going down.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.