Author Topic: E-Version of Cerebus  (Read 622 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
E-Version of Cerebus
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »
Cerebus (Dave Sims's 6000 page Graphic Novel from which I stole my Avatar)  is now available for Download. at reasonable prices..  It was a monthly  comic I couldn't afford  when I first started reading it in college, but every few years the comics were collected in  "phonebooks" - and those are still available,  but pricey, and quite frankly take up a lot of room and tend to start falling apart overtime. . . And I have re-read the series for every volume that came out ,  and even a few times since it ended. 

Turns out someone went through the work of pirating the material and scanned every page into giant files.  Dave Sim was embarking on a similar project using original negatives and pictures - because he is way over perfectionist for the medium he is drawing for. But since that was taking way too long, he  pirated the pirates and started selling their versions ( alongside his own better ones as they become available)   which I think is a pretty brilliant response by a man who doesn't have an email address and whose online presence is almost always done by a proxy.  He even posted a letter encouraging the piracy, and suggesting that if you find his work worthy,  to please consider paying for it..  which is the same direction  David Wilcox has taken with music.

I purchased them. My old dog eared phone books aren't going to last forever, and for the cost of rebinding a few, I have a digital copy that takes up no shelf space..

So here is the deal..  PM me if you are interested in reading them, and we will set something up to get the volumes to you  ( drop box, google cloud, ftp whatever)  and then - as Dave Sim suggests,  you can return to give him a tip if you find them worth your time.  I have found them thought provoking - many have found them misogynistic ( and they may have a point)  - the first 4 volumes are hysterical if you know anything about comics - but I have returned many times as its been a work by which I have measured my life, and I would love it if someone else had read them besides me..... believe me, they are good, and I have a pointy hat

And I have wanted to do this again since my roommates and I first xerox copied and taped this together in college:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:51:49 AM by Weisshaupt »