Author Topic: Law firm backs out of DOMA defense, partner resigns in protest  (Read 5069 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
After the White House abandoned the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA),  the House of Representatives under Speaker John Boehner decided to defend the law and hired an Atlanta law firm, King & Spalding, to represent the government in the appeals.  Activists opposed to DOMA vehemently protested the law firm’s decision to take the case, and today King & Spalding dropped the case:

Yup; got pressure from teh gayz and dropped the case.

The partner who who wanted the case resigned in protest.

HotAir
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Law firm backs out of DOMA defense, partner resigns in protest
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:52 AM »
A glaring example of how less than 1% of society can bring things to a screeching halt . To say that gay marriage is acceptable and normal is like saying ; " Eat sh*t ... A trillion flies can't be wrong !"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:40:43 AM »
“Efforts to delegitimize any representation for one side of a legal controversy are a profound threat to the rule of law,” Clement continues.  “Much has been said about being on the wrong side of history.  But being on the right or wrong side on the merits is a question for clients.  When it comes to the lawyers, the surest way to be on the wrong side of history is to abandon a client in the face of hostile criticism.”

“Efforts to delegitimize any representation for one side of a legal controversy are a profound threat to the rule of law”

A fitting epitaph for King & Spalding!

And more evidence (as if any is needed) that there are few, if any, persons of honor on the left side of the political spectrum.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:12:18 AM »

And more evidence (as if any is needed) that there are few, if any, persons of honor on the left side of the political spectrum.

As I've told my children the number willing to stand up and take the heat is and always has been small.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:12:36 AM »
The even worse threat to the Rule of Law is that it even came down to the House having to hire a defense team at all. The President and the executive agencies under him do not have the prerogative of picking and choosing which of the laws duly enacted by Congress they will enforce or defend in court. This is an attack on the separation of powers, a power grab by the executive from both the legislative and judicial branches. To the legislature he said "I don't care that you duly enacted this law, I'm not enforcing it or defending it in court". To the judiciary he said "I have decided the law is unconstitutional, that's right you heard me, that's my decision now"
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »

Isn't that an impeachable offense?

Isn't it the house that brings articles of impeachment?
If it is the house and they brought articles, even if they lose, would it not thwart
this administration,s incessant takings?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
I think this President has definitely committed impeachable offenses, but in line with the failings of our age...there is no accountability. I can just see Boehner trying to orchestrate impeachment proceedings. Talk about mascara running.

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »
The public wouldn't understand impeachment and the media would take advantage of it.

If Obama was running any organization I've been a part of he'd been booted or at least not selected for another term.

There seems to be a collective decision to ignore the obvious or pretend something just because that's the way one wants it to be.  I noticed this ability back in 1999 when everyone decided the millenium started 1/1/2000 rather than 1/1/2001.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »
With everything going on with this out of control Regime, staving off another bloody civil war may well be near impossible...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
It would not matter what he was impeached for, the one and only narrative promulgated would be "Republicans are trying to get rid of the first black President!"

That might be what motivates the anti-birther sentiment in the Republican Party (aside from their general fecklessness), the fear that it be proven conclusively that he is ineligible to hold office. I do not doubt for a moment that even if proven ineligible, nothing would be done to remove him from office. "Look we can't do that, not to the first black President. We'll have riots in every major city".

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
Cowardice.  I fear damage to the constitution and liberty more than I fear jackasses rioting.  I can handle rioters, I can't handle having the constitution shredded into pulp!

It would be simple enough to counter the race-baiters in their own trap.  "Getting rid of the first black President?"  "No, were removing a tyrannical President who is systematically defying every precept of constitutional law and republican government, I don't give a damn what color a tyrants skin is, tyrants must go, period!"  "Anybody arguing removal of this tyrannical President is based upon race and not constitutional law is a lying demagogue incapable of coming to an objective review of the illegal conduct of this President and is engaging in race-baiting tactics instead of dealing with facts, and that in itself is a racially motivated form of hatred I will not tolerate!"

!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
To successfully impeach Obama it would have to be tied to something that most people could easily understand--probably their pockerbook.  I don't know if that's possible. 

For example, I don't find many people who understand the philosophical arguments against Obamacare to be compelling but they understand their paychecks being smaller and killing grandma.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
Your premise is probably true, but philosophical (actually Constitutional) precepts should take precedence, not the harmful material byproducts The Regime's actions produce, but the latter should be used to bolster the former.

And I am always struck by the Lefts historical condescension of "pocketbook politics" as being single-issue oriented and not worthy as a reason to vote someone out of office, but they use pocketbook issues in their scare-mongering whenever it suits them.

As always, being a Lefty means never having to answer for your hypocrisy or lack of intellectual veracity!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
As always, being a Lefty means never having to answer for your hypocrisy or lack of intellectual veracity!

Of course. We must never forget that their only guiding "principle" is this one: By. Any. Means. Necessary.

I remember a few summers ago when gas prices spiked suddenly, probably due to a hurricane in the Gulf, and the media were all over the meme of Bush/Cheney the oil men, Halliburton, blah blah blah. Hillary and her fellow travelers were droning on about investigating windfall profits, and how it was unconscionable to charge so much for gas. In my one-way conversations with the TV I had to ask "But isn't this exactly what you people have always wanted? You're always whining about our gas prices being too low and enabling our SUVs and long commutes to the suburbs". Of course consistency didn't matter. It was a hot button issue they could use to beat Bush over the head, so they put their previous tune about excessively cheap energy on the back burner. Now that the same thing (even higher prices actually) is happening under Obama, we're hearing how a President can't really influence the price, and that it's actually a good thing to help motivate our transition to Green Unicorn Fart technology, etc.

They're all pathological liars just like that Jon Lovitz character on SNL. Yeahhhh, that's the ticket.

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »

Also, they continue to hang Katrina around Bush's neck like an albatross.

The BP oil spill is totally disconnected from Obama.
The total failure of he and his administration to correctly deal with the problem never mentioned.  And the failure continues. 

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 12:36:04 AM »
Another take on impeachment:

What Does Impeachment Have to Do With It ???

Posted by Ann Barnhardt - April 26, AD 2011 8:07 PM MST
Listen up. The impeachment meme needs to be dropped POST FLIPPING HASTE. Obama's removal is a LAW ENFORCEMENT ACTION. Let me walk you through this.

Impeachment applies to a legitimate, legally seated President. Andrew Johnson was a legally seated POTUS, and he was impeached. Nixon was a legally seated POTUS and was threatened with impeachment, thus leading to his resignation. Clinton was a legally seated POTUS and was impeached.

BARACK OBAMA IS NOT LEGALLY SEATED. Barack Obama is not the President of the United States. He is a fraud and a usurper, and may or may not be a citizen of the United States of America. THEREFORE impeachment has nothing to do with any of this AND WOULD DO EVEN MORE DAMAGE THAN HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE.

Why? Because if Obama is impeached, the impeachment proceeding ITSELF would establish a legal precedent affirming his legitimacy as POTUS. Impeaching him would actually give him the full rubber-stamping of legal affirmation by the Congress AND the SCOTUS. Dude. That CAN NOT happen.

If he is removed via law enforcement action - as he should be - the entire Obama regime and currently usurping Executive Branch would be instantly dissolved and nullified, as would ALL ACTIONS and LAWS enacted by the Obama regime. Do you understand what this means? If Obama is arrested, ObamaCare instantly ceases to be. All of the drilling moratoriums instantly cease to be. Everything that these Godforsaken Communist wretches have done INSTANTLY, LEGALLY, and PERMANENTLY is deleted. Sotomayor and Kagan? PACK YOUR BAGS, YOU MARXIST WENCHES. Eric Holder? What size orange jumpsuit can we fit you with, Player?

Obama needs to be arrested and held without bail, as he is obviously a massive, massive flight risk. The first thing that Law Enforcement needs to do is determine if he is a full citizen, dual citizen or not a citizen at all. If he is a full or dual citizen, he needs to be tried for treason given all of the rights and due process afforded a citizen of the United States under the Constitution. If convicted, he needs to spend the rest of his life in the SuperMax Federal Pen in Florence, Colorado. If he is found to have no U.S. citizenship at all, he needs to be tried by a military tribunal as an enemy combatant, and if convicted, specially housed for the rest of his life at Florence, Colorado.

This man and his cabal of fellow criminals has committed the single-largest act of fraud in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD. And I'm not exaggerating. He has usurped the office of Chief Executive of the LARGEST ECONOMY IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD - and in that capacity actively attempted to destroy it, the rammifications of which would adversely affect most of the 6.8 billion souls on this planet. Further, he has usurped as Commander in Chief the most powerful military and weapons arsenal in the history of the world. He has had the personal capacity to launch weapons that could literally kill billions of people in a matter of hours. This is NO. FRICKING. JOKE. This is not some game. This is not a TV show. This is as deathly serious as it gets.

Read this over and over until you understand. Then send it to everyone you know. This is not an impeachment situation, and impeachment would only legitimize a completely illegitimate usurper and fraud. This is a straight-up law enforcement action.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 06:40:47 AM »
While I admire her grit, is there a LEO anywhere that will try to cuff the usurper?  Without a legitimate birth certificate from outside our shores to wave as proof there is nobody that will take that challenge on.  There is zero will in congress to either impeach or convict even though I think there is truckloads of evidence to bring forth.  Plus, I think legitimacy to even hold office could be rolled into impeachment proceedings, but like I said, zero will to even start the process.  So where does that leave us?  Screwed, unless we can force him out in the 2012 contest.  It bites the big one but that it where we are...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
It appears Coca Cola, another client of King & Spalding, (because of potential pressure on them) was instrumental in pressuring them to drop the case.

http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.com/2011/04/is-there-now-hostile-environment-for.html
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
A Coca Cola spokesman declined to comment on or off the record for this story, but pointed TPM to the company's long public history of support for equality and diversity.

DOMA defines marriage as between a man and a woman and holds that states may not be compelled to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states. The Obama Administration recently decided it could no longer defend the constitutionality of the law, and placed the onus on Boehner, who quickly accepted it.

Other King & Spalding clients likewise conveyed to the firm that its decision to take the DOMA case could cause them problems, both internally and with customers, according to sources who spoke with TPM. It also faced its own internal backlash.

But it wasn't just private pressure. King & Spalding also faced escalating protests from gay rights groups. The LGBT community in Atlanta has significant political influence, and the firm quickly became a target for major gay rights organizations including the Human Rights Campaign and the group Georgia Equality -- the largest gay rights advocate in the state. The groups planned an aggressive ad campaign, direct communication with the firm's clients, and a diminution of its Corporate Equality Index ranking -- the metric HRC uses to track corporate support for gay rights.

They had also scheduled a large public event for Tuesday, April 26, but quickly canceled it after King & Spalding announced Monday that it had withdrawn from the case, sparking Clement's resignation from the firm. Clement, a leading light among top conservative lawyers in DC who served as solicitor general under George W. Bush, quickly landed at a boutique DC firm populated by other conservative lawyers, where he announced he would continue to handle the DOMA case for the House of Representatives.