Author Topic: Documentary: "I Am Evel Knievel"  (Read 1500 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Documentary: "I Am Evel Knievel"
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »
Most of us on this board were there for the phenomenon that was Evel Knievel. I remember watching him on ABC's "Wide World of Sports" several times in the seventies. This is a great little documentary of his life from growing up in Butte, Montana to his death in 2007 and I recommend it without reservation. It premiered this evening on SpikeTV.

imdb link
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Documentary: "I Am Evel Knievel"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:26:21 AM »
I had a few years as a small boy when I idolized Knievel. Remember the made-for-TV movie starring George Hamilton? I thought that was awesome.  ::unknowncomic::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:20 AM »
I also had this toy...

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:26:10 AM »
Recorded it but haven't watched yet

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »
I also had this toy...

That's the toy Red Forman tested out and slammed into his garage door on a That 70's Show episode.   ::hysterical::

All I remember about Evil is seeing a lot of footage of jumps and wipeouts, but the most memorable thing for me was the famous Snake River jump (wasn't it on ABC's Wide World of Sports or some damn thing?  Talk about nothing else to do! LOL!) that ended in predictable failure.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:30:03 AM »
The documentary provided a lot of info about him that I did not know...

He totally conned the owner of Caesar's into begging him to do the fountain jump.

He had two Lear jets. I'll bet you can't guess why.

None of his bikes were modified for jumps...they came right from the dealer as stock bikes.

He was a total criminal in his youth and early adult years and it's a wonder that his life didn't end in prison at that point.

His final two words, at his funeral where his last words were read, were, "I'm sorry."
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.