Author Topic: Misleading article about federal cuts  (Read 3808 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Misleading article about federal cuts
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
from AP:
LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) _ The future of a program that has helped to clean up and rejuvenate crime-prone neighborhoods in Lafayette is in question after funding was eliminated in next year's federal budget.

Since its beginning in Lafayette in 2007, Weed and Seed has encouraged nonviolent criminal offenders to turn their lives around by helping them enroll at Ivy Tech Community College. The U.S. Department of Justice-sponsored program has also helped place the homeless and victims of domestic violence into longer-term housing.

But the Department of Justice's Community Capacity Development Office tells The Journal & Courier the program is being eliminated.

Lafayette Weed and Seed coordinator Adam Murphy says funding will last through June 2012, but any grant distributions beyond that are uncertain.

The Lafayette program began with a $1 million grant in 2007.

What this article doesn't make clear for the reader is that grant was for a million dollars covering the years 2005 to 2012.  It is a grant sponsored by the DOJ and overseen by the Community Capacity Development Office (CCDO). I think it's written to imply in this age of suggested budget cutting that they are somehow victims of that process.  I searched but couldn't find any evidence of the success of this program the taxpayers are funding.

from the Lafayette website:

Weed & Seed takes on housing, college

Program's latest initiative will help low-income families purchase homes

By SOPHIA VORAVONG
svoravong@journalandcourier.com

Chris Burkhardt of Lafayette is two semesters shy of earning an associate degree from Ivy Tech
Community College.

Later, he hopes to study organizational leadership and supervision at Purdue University.
For the 23-year-old, the push to get his life on track came in an unusual way: a 16-month stint in
jail for possessing a large amount of marijuana.
"In a way, it was the best thing that could have happened to me," he said.
Burkhardt and other success stories from Tippecanoe Superior Court 1 Judge Don Johnson's Reentry
Court are being tapped as potential candidates for a new initiative designed to help working
families and individuals own a home and obtain higher education.

<snip>

JoAnn Miller, an associate professor of sociology at Purdue University, was the Weed & Seed
proposal writer.
She said Lafayette's effort will aim to help 50 people obtain homeownership and 100 people
receive education at Ivy Tech Community College. To qualify, participants must be within 200
percent of poverty level.
Last year in Indiana, the poverty level for a family of four was $20,650, according to the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services.
The homes will be within the city's Weed & Seed target area, though participants can come from
Tippecanoe and even surrounding counties, she said.

Burkhardt, who said he has thrown away thousands of dollars renting, said the program is
something he would like to pursue.
"Owning my home is definitely a goal in the near future," he said. "Eventually, I'm going to have to
settle down. By owning my own home, I'd feel like I'm working toward something. ... The re-entry
program has really helped me establish myself in the community."

In an effort to make the young man sound deserving of a home the writer says he's two semester short of an associate's degree but around here that degree is two years or 4 semesters. So he's been in school for a year or 2 semesters.  He thinks home ownership is in his near future. Maybe in his future but near future? I also think it's interesting that he says he's thrown away thousands of dollars renting. I suspect that's the same kind of thinking that believes buying health insurance is throwing money away.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

Re: Misleading article about federal cuts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
I also think it's interesting that he says he's thrown away thousands of dollars renting. I suspect that's the same kind of thinking that believes buying health insurance is throwing money away.

Even more, when you pay rent you are receiving a good (a home or apartment) just as when one goes to the market and buys food, food and shelter are necessary sustenance.
Insurance is a speculation on the future.  Many would argue that one never owns a home but merely leases it from the government and other agencies.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »
I'm saddened that programs like this face uncertain funding. How are we going to train the next generation of Organizational Leaders and Supervisors?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »
I also think it's interesting that he says he's thrown away thousands of dollars renting. I suspect that's the same kind of thinking that believes buying health insurance is throwing money away.

Even more, when you pay rent you are receiving a good (a home or apartment) just as when one goes to the market and buys food, food and shelter are necessary sustenance.
Insurance is a speculation on the future.  Many would argue that one never owns a home but merely leases it from the government and other agencies.

Good point, CO.  Rent is payment for a good.   Insurance should be speculation on the future but that's not how health insurance is used today--most plans cover well-baby visits, immunizations, etc, etc. Insurance for many today is form of wealth redistribution.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
I'm saddened that programs like this face uncertain funding. How are we going to train the next generation of Organizational Leaders and Supervisors?

You had me there for a second.! ::rolllaughing::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »

WH internship, but better act fast, after 2012 that may go too!

:P
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »

He'll attend S.E.I.U.  ( Even sounds like a college doesn't it ? )

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »

He'll attend S.E.I.U.  ( Even sounds like a college doesn't it ? )

Push 'em back...Push 'em back...Push 'em way back...
has a whole new meaning

Offline cburkhardt

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »
I realize these posts are from 2011 and that you are probably not even on this forum anymore but I wanted to check in with you all. This is Chris Burkhardt here. Yeah. The guy mentioned in the article above. I wanted to first thank you all for your compassion and understanding. It seems as if you are all concerned about my welfare so I wanted to give you an update.

Since being involved with the Weed and Seed program I have graduated from Purdue University with a BS in accounting. I have passed the CPA exam and found gainful employment Worth a public accounting firm. I am currently working on purchasing my first home with my fiancee. I have worked to become a better citizen, friend and employee when I was previously not.

The truth is, that program was there when you were not. I appreciate the help it gave me and have corked to give back to others who have been situated as I was. So thank you for blindly condemning a program shred of factual knowledge surrounding the success of the program. Herbert Spencer once said, "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.'" 

So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me get to where I am today. I hope that I can help others with a fraction of the humanity that the program had shown me.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 01:22:19 AM »
Just because a program benefitted you doesn't justify its existence Chris. The money used to benefit you was forcefully taken at the point of a gun (with the force of law) from those who produced it, and given to you.

Who's fault is it that your life was a mess? Mine? Of course not. Then why should I pay for your irresponsibility? I didn't make you sell weed.

Your feeling of gratitude for the "program" is not really gratitude, it is entitlement. You might feel gratitude, but what you are grateful for is a government willing to take away from others in order to fix your mistake.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
I will go without health insurance before I will accept a subsidy from the feds via the DumbassCare exchanges.

I have never nor will I ever use food stamps. I would rather do without.

I have never applied for unemployment payments (although, as a business owner I have had to pay untold thousands of dollars to former employees who sit around and watch television for a couple of years) and I never will.

I am cursed with an abundance of self respect that prevents me from engaging in such activities.

The truth is, that program was there when you were not. I appreciate the help it gave me and have corked to give back to others who have been situated as I was.

So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me get to where I am today. I hope that I can help others with a fraction of the humanity that the program had shown me.

The truth is, this program, like all government programs, takes money from those who produce it without their consent and shovels it at those who have not earned it. The truth is, unlike you, most people who suck at the teat of government largesse do not "succeed" but instead end up as bad or worse than where they started.

I will give you credit for whatever you "give back" in whatever form that may take but please realize that you do that voluntarily. That's called "charity" and it used to be much more commonplace before the federal government barged in to take the place of citizen philanthropists.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:04:49 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 01:58:12 AM »
I will go without health insurance before I will accept a subsidy from the feds via the DumbassCare exchanges.

I have never applied for unemployment payments (although, as a business owner I have had to pay untold thousands of dollars to former employees who sit around and watch television for a couple of years) and I never will.

I am cursed with an abundance of self respect that prevents me from engaging in such activities.

You also never got busted with a large quantity of pot. Hmmm... correlation?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »

You also never got busted with a large quantity of pot. Hmmm... correlation?

Oh, I made my share of "mistakes." 

And most of them were made in my early years.

But yes, they were on a much smaller scale than "possession with intent to distribute." I can say though, that I personally paid for every mistake I ever made and sometimes I paid quite dearly. The lessons that were learned that way were truly learned.

Example: I could have filed for bankruptcy in 2009 and my life would have been considerably easier. I would have been relieved of the burden of overhead expenses of a large company that was forced to downsize dramatically at the onset of the Obama depression. But if I had done that I would have been screwing over my creditors. So, instead, I borrowed money to meet those obligations (fortunately that period was only for a few months) and then I cut all of my expenses as much as possible to pay down my debts. No vacations, drastic cutbacks on things like birthday and Christmas presents, drastic cuts to my own personal pay...whatever it took to get my financial house in order. But it was worth it to me to be able to pay off my creditors honorably. I don't ever want a government handout of any kind.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:20:32 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 02:55:01 AM »
This is a concise, careful, and well modulated statement of fact. All I can do is say, Amen!

Just because a program benefitted you doesn't justify its existence Chris. The money used to benefit you was forcefully taken at the point of a gun (with the force of law) from those who produced it, and given to you.

Who's fault is it that your life was a mess? Mine? Of course not. Then why should I pay for your irresponsibility? I didn't make you sell weed.

Your feeling of gratitude for the "program" is not really gratitude, it is entitlement. You might feel gratitude, but what you are grateful for is a government willing to take away from others in order to fix your mistake.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline cburkhardt

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 07:35:30 AM »

My question is, how can you say that I feel entitled to the benefits that were afforded to me? The definition of entitlement is "the fact of having a right to something". I did not say I had a right to this or that it belonged to me. What I have felt is gratitude, which as defined is, "the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness." I have and will continue to return kindness (and the financial obligation) that was shown to me.

I have one final thought. I am sure not everyone here ascribes to the teachings of Jesus but I wanted to share them with you.

In Matthew 25 it states that Jesus said,

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’"

Thank you for the previous replies. And I hope you all have a great day.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 07:55:34 AM »
An observation - Matthew 25 passage cited is one of the most manipulated versus ever.

Liberty-minded people of classical liberal education and sound intellectual ability who believe in Jesus see that verse as a call for people (not government) to be compassionate toward their fellow man.

Statist-minded people of progressive indoctrination and dubious intellectual ability who believe in a libertine Jesus see that verse as condoning the use of government coercion to force compassion in the form of ones wealth to alleviate the perceived suffering of those the state deems worthy of relief.

I think my Jesus is right, my Jesus would not be for coercion or letting a middleman speak to who is worthy and to who is not worthy.  My Jesus would want me as a person and as a person of a congregation to help those who seek His and our help.

Just my two bits.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »

My question is, how can you say that I feel entitled to the benefits that were afforded to me?

Because your "help" was stolen from others through coercion and threat of prison, and you accepted the help. You had no moral compass telling you that a) dealing weed was going to land you in prison, or b) that pilfering the taxpayer to bail you out is immoral.

And yeah, how about that Jesus? Funny, I don't see any command there for government to be the arbiter of who gives and who receives. That is because he is talking about a man's heart, not a government's coercive power.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »

Thank you for the previous replies. And I hope you all have a great day.

I am glad that you are no longer a poverty stricken law breaker. Congratulations on reaching this epiphany that working and obeying the law (what some call, "normal" behavior) is preferable to the opposite.

I am not surprised, however, that you learned all the wrong lessons from your experience because that seems to be the case with the vast and overwhelming number of recipients of welfare. Had you learned the right lessons from this situation you would be ashamed of yourself for both your original behavior and your subsequent eagerness to go on the dole. That you come here to chastise us because we dare to be offended at having the fruits of our labor confiscated and then re-distributed to the indolent is all the evidence we need that you have not learned anything of true value in the last few years. That you quote Scripture in a pathetic effort to justify your experience is also not surprising...we have seen that stupid ploy more times than we can remember.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:48:12 AM by trapeze »

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »
We don't know he is who he says he is.  ::whatgives::

Let's say he is for the sake of discussion:

Does he mind the government taking from his earned income funds, to pay for other's dysfunctional behavior?

Maybe he thinks he is 'giving back'. But the dirty little secret is, even tho' he thinks he's 'giving back', when the government now takes away from him, does the government then take 'those' funds and repay us, who funded his 'awakening'? No.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
At least I can choose to not give my money to the deadbeats that stand at the street corners with the patently fake "Will Work For Food" signs. It's both funny and sad that the professional beggars are actually the overachievers in the deadbeat demographic...those who are not content to merely collect government welfare but instead have the initiative (and the lack of self respect) to pretend that they will work...that they are hungry and beg for additional money from sympathetic suckers.

Side note: Anecdotally, I do not remember having this problem (deadbeats for dollars) during the GWB years in my small town. Sure we had a guy who moved around from place to place who occasionally hung out a sign...we still have that guy and it's because he is a mental case...but now we have two or three professional beggars. We have had them for many months now. They are well dressed. They are clean. They are out there every day from 9 to 5 with their cardboard signs. I am guessing that wealthy (and guilty feeling) tourists are the ones paying them because no one who lives and works here would be stupid enough to do it. But, yeah, we have definitely seen a serious uptick in the professional deadbeat demo since President Shutdown took office.