Author Topic: Paul Revere, beloved classic rock legend, dies at age 76  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Paul Revere, beloved classic rock legend, dies at age 76
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »

The world of classic rock music has lost another icon today. Paul Revere, entertainer, singer, musician, bandleader, friend, husband, father and grand man of show business died Oct. 4, 2014 at the age of 76. The news of Revere’s passing came via a post on his band’s official Facebook page tonight.

In August, 2013, Revere shared the news of his battle with cancer with over 100,000 fans on his band’s Facebook page. A wellspring of support, love, prayers and well wishes ensued on his Facebook page, exemplary of the true devotion with which music lovers and Baby Boomers alike held the legend Paul Revere Dick (his real name), born on Jan. 7, 1938.

In the past year, although fans had known that Paul was battling cancer, everyone had prayed, hoped, and shared that they were all counting on Paul to get better. Although it was not widely known by the fans, when Paul made his final stage appearances, it represented such a magnitude and level of courage to still get out there and literally “gave everything he had” to bring the crowd what they came to see—a truly good time.

It was just a few months ago, in July, that the wonderful gentleman decided to step away from the stage, proclaiming that he wanted the show to go on, but without him. Insiders expected that he realized that his time here on Earth was limited but he didn’t want to disappoint his fans for one moment. Ever a man of great business integrity, he changed the name of the band to Paul Revere’s Raiders, to reflect honestly that he was not there as part of the band. Others in the entertainment business admired him for doing just that, what is today called by the ”kids” in the business as “old school.”

Still, the fans kept up a barrage of Facebook posts showing their love for him. When he didn’t have the energy to read them himself, his loving wife Sydney read them to him. Members of his band remained in daily contact with him by phone. Paul kept up enthusiastically with what was going on in the shows and he loved hearing about the fans. He never failed to offer support, strength, courage and love to his musicians, who were doing for him all that they could do, even if through the tears they felt like sharing. Still they went on "for him," because of their devotion to his insistence that it was all, always, for the fans, that he wanted to be there.

Paul Revere’s band is in mourning, deeply, tonight for the loss of their fearless leader. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well as his Raiders band, who include Ron Foos (bass) and Doug Heath (lead guitar), who’ve been with him since 1986; Danny Krause (keyboard), who’s been with him since 1986; lead singer Darren Dowler, who joined him in 2008, and drummer Tommy Scheckel, who joined the Raider family in 2010.

Fans can visit the band’s Facebook page to share love and best wishes for the Revere family and extended family, and expect that even though Paul remains with them all in spirit. The 2015 Concerts at Sea signature Revere “Where the Action Is” cruise will sail in January, and Paul Revere’s Raiders will be on it, as well as performing across the country, beginning again in November, because, well stated simply, Paul wanted that to happen.

To borrow a line from Aaron Sorkin, “The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight.” Paul Revere, we thank you for all your gifts and graces shown to the world of music.

The author of Paul Revere’s tribute on his official Facebook page said it most eloquently:

…By your example, both professional and personal, you've left a blueprint of how to live a life full of love, laughter and happiness. The world will be a lot less fun, a lot less kind and gentle without Paul Revere in it. Your larger-than-life absence will leave a void in our hearts and our lives.

We are all blessed to have known you, and we'll miss you more than you could ever know.

Love forever,
    Everyone who has ever met you”.

Paul Revere (January 7,1938-October 4, 2014)

http://www.examiner.com/article/paul-revere-beloved-classic-rock-legend-dies-at-age-76

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Paul Revere, beloved classic rock legend, dies at age 76
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
  RIP
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:32:38 AM »
I actually saw that version of the band, shortly after they got together in the late 80's.  Knowing that Mark Lindsay was the real star of the original band didn't deter from my enjoyment of the "new" Raiders, as Paul Revere himself was quite the showman.

RIP. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:55:13 AM »
Darn cancer!   ::gaah:: 

But it appears he got good use out of the years he had.

R.I.P.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
Paul Revere and the Raiders were a staple of the northwest music scene during the 60's and (very) early 70's. Although they hailed from Idaho Seattlites like to claim them as their own. They played very heavily on the same sort of silly, slapstick comedy that you saw in the Beatles movies "A Hard Day's Night".  Their stage act looks terribly dated now, and their campy costumes were embarrassing even then, but I can still recall a time when it was fresh and cool.

Their stuff was cotton-candy, sticky sweet and almost entirely without substance. But that was the draw - there were plenty of bands around (even then) that were moody or sullen - PR&TR was an excuse to kick back and enjoy the good times without having to think too hard. Their "heaviest" number was the insipid "Cherokee Nation" (I think y'all know who changed the station when that one came on!).

I hear tunes like this and I'm instantly taken back to a time and place where it seemed like the sun always shined, there were dances and parties every weekend, and there were wall to wall girls to chase. Good times. Thank you Paul.

From 1967...

Paul Revere and the Raiders - Kicks - 1967

And from 1986...

Paul Revere and The Raiders - Hungry, Just Like Me, Rock Paulanoff

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »
I would say having a huge hit in 1967 with an anti-drug song had some substance to it.