Author Topic: Now we can all save the planet  (Read 3177 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Now we can all save the planet
« on: October 12, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/science-save-earth-peeing-shower-190635500.html

You want to save the environment, right? Prevent global warming, save the world’s 13 Icelandic snow owls, that kind of thing.

Then you must pee in the shower. That’s the earnest message from a couple of students at England’s University of East Anglia, reports BBC News.

The two students, Debs Torr and Chris Dobson, theorize that their idea could “save enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool 26 times.”

It’s also a pragmatic timesaver, The Daily Caller notes.

“We’ve done the maths, and this project stands to have a phenomenal impact,” Dobson told the BBC.

“Imagine how big an impact it could have if we could get everyone in East Anglia, or even the UK, to change their morning habits.”

Dobson, 20, also noted that, strangely enough, not everyone has loved the big, brilliant idea.

“The campaign has been really divisive. People either seem to love it or hate it,” he explained.

But he’s undaunted.

“We’re trying to challenge conventional behavior — to start a debate on a resource that we largely take for granted,” the student said.

Dobson added that he and Torr have undertaken ample research to ensure that it’s not some disgusting health risk to pee in the communal showers that are often found on college campuses.

“As long as the water is flowing there is no hygiene risk as urine is sterile but we would encourage that every person using the same shower consents to the challenge and if not that they don’t take part,” he assured the BBC.

Dobson and Torr are the University of East Anglia’s representatives in an environmental initiative called the Npower Future Leaders Challenge.

A school spokeswoman said the administration fully supports the students.

The University of East Anglia in Norwich, England is, of course, most famous because it was the epicenter for the 2009 Climategate scandal. “Climategate” is a journalistic shorthand for the massive leak of emails from the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia. The emails revealed discrepancies in the recording of climate change data, as well as contained poorly maintained computer code, and even allusions to the deletion of any information that could be acquired through Freedom of Information Act requests. (RELATED: Inhofe Calls For Investigation Of Researcher Michael Mann)

I'll get right on it.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Now we can all save the planet
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
When did they start taking showers?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »
Maybe urine is sterile .... if one is not harboring some, even low-grade, infection, but I'm not buying it as harmless, nevermind beneficial.  If there is too much yeast present, one can give oneself a good case of athlete's foot, not to mention contaminating the damn tub.

These lunatics keep pushing stuff the First World rightly grew out of the last century when toilets and showers were found to have their own particular and separate uses.

Remember "cleanliness is next to Godliness"?  Yeah, that was to help keep bacteria and virusii at bay.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
Here's an idea..... Why don't they piss in a bottle and skip the filtering and use it as their collective drinking water. Obama will probably give them a grant.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
I say we piss on them.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
Yuck!   Do it long enough and your bathroom will always smell like piss.   The shower isn't designed (unlike the toilet) to contain the odor.    Plus it will start to eat away at the finish of your tub too.   

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
Yuck!   Do it long enough and your bathroom will always smell like piss.   The shower isn't designed (unlike the toilet) to contain the odor.    Plus it will start to eat away at the finish of your tub too.

Speaking from experience????

I'm betting if you ask most guys ( and they answer truthfully) they have taken a leak in the shower.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
I'm betting if you ask most guys ( and they answer truthfully) they have taken a leak in the shower.

Years ago, when my boys were a lot younger, they got the urge to take a shower with dad. To minimize any urinating in the shower, I used to gather them around the toilet for a group pee. I would get in the middle and a son would get on each side. Manage to do that for about 3 months with no mishaps.

They got tired of showers and decided to go back to taking a bath. The wife and I were lying in bed watching TV while they bathed in the master bath (so we could hear any sibling squables). All of a sudden we hear "Nick peed in the tub!"

My wife looked over at me and said "They get that from you".
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:10:43 AM »

Managed property for a college which of course included dorms.   Some bathrooms would be so nasty.   Once its got that smell,  its nearly impossible to get rid of it (permanently)without major work.   Most don't seem to run enough water (you need more then you think) to clear plumbing traps (that curved piece of pipe below a fixture) of pee.    Pee has ammonia in it too,  and many finishes of bathtubs aren't designed to have that on it on a regular basis (pee as well as cleaners with it).   That includes fiberglass tubs,  which are about the only kind installed today. 

And have to say this too.  A clean swimming pool should not have an odor.    If your pool smells like "chorine",  its not clean.   That smell is the result of chemical reactions that happen when chorine is trying to counteract things like pee and other things like deodorant in the water.    Chorine should be killing germs,  not filtering pee (though it does do it pretty well).   Thats why people need to shower before swimming in a pool.    And when the water stings your eyes,  its not the chorine that is doing it.  Yes,  ick!

http://chlorine.americanchemistry.com/Science-Center/Chlorine-Compound-of-the-Month-Library/Chloramines-Understanding-Pool-Smell

Pee in a tub enough,  I imagine you would create problems similar to swimming pools.  Yup,  most pools aren't as clean as you think they are.   

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:20:19 AM »

Years ago, when my boys were a lot younger, they got the urge to take a shower with dad. To minimize any urinating in the shower, I used to gather them around the toilet for a group pee. I would get in the middle and a son would get on each side. Manage to do that for about 3 months with no mishaps.

They got tired of showers and decided to go back to taking a bath. The wife and I were lying in bed watching TV while they bathed in the master bath (so we could hear any sibling squables). All of a sudden we hear "Nick peed in the tub!"

My wife looked over at me and said "They get that from you".

How sexist!   ::hysterical::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »

Managed property for a college which of course included dorms.   Some bathrooms would be so nasty.   Once its got that smell,  its nearly impossible to get rid of it (permanently)without major work.   Most don't seem to run enough water (you need more then you think) to clear plumbing traps (that curved piece of pipe below a fixture) of pee.    Pee has ammonia in it too,  and many finishes of bathtubs aren't designed to have that on it on a regular basis (pee as well as cleaners with it).   That includes fiberglass tubs,  which are about the only kind installed today. 

And have to say this too.  A clean swimming pool should not have an odor.    If your pool smells like "chorine",  its not clean.   That smell is the result of chemical reactions that happen when chorine is trying to counteract things like pee and other things like deodorant in the water.    Chorine should be killing germs,  not filtering pee (though it does do it pretty well).   Thats why people need to shower before swimming in a pool.    And when the water stings your eyes,  its not the chorine that is doing it.  Yes,  ick!

http://chlorine.americanchemistry.com/Science-Center/Chlorine-Compound-of-the-Month-Library/Chloramines-Understanding-Pool-Smell

Pee in a tub enough,  I imagine you would create problems similar to swimming pools.  Yup,  most pools aren't as clean as you think they are.

OK, pools, eew. 

Lakes, don't say anything bad about them and ruin it for me!  (We all know what those warm spots were!) But just shush about lakes! 

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »

OK, pools, eew. 

Lakes, don't say anything bad about them and ruin it for me!  (We all know what those warm spots were!) But just shush about lakes!

There is not a lake within 3 states of my home I haven't took a leak.....lol

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »

OK, pools, eew. 

There is not a lake within 3 states of my home I haven't took a leak.....lol

Even the smallest lake has way more water then the biggest pool.   Plus a lake has way more ways to filter itself and are rarely stagnant.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 07:10:40 AM »
Yes, but the fish pee in it, too.
And there's a lot of fish peeing.

They poop too.

You shouldn't poop in your shower or swimming pool

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
I remember reading about a school somewhere in Florida that had new no-flow urinals put in.  They did this to be green and sustainable, blah blah.  Anyhow it was immediately obvious that the bathrooms all stunk mightily.  What was not immediately obvious is that the ammonia found in urine was attacking the brass fittings in the pipes.  The drain lines were all original, and had been constructed with brass and copper fittings.  Those were fine when there was plenty of water to continuously rinse the urine away.

Long story short, they ended up reverting to less stinky conventional urinals but not before having to rip out and replace a bunch of damaged plumbing.  This was to the tune of about a quarter mil, but it's ok because it was a public expense and the government has plenty of (your) money.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
Morons, they're everywhere, and they breed and spread Moranism across the land like The Plague.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
Morons, they're everywhere, and they breed and spread Moranism across the land like The Plague.

And the only cure for them is a shovel to the back of the head.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 06:43:39 AM »

And the only cure for them is a shovel to the back of the head.

In a hurry to bury them I see.   ;D   ::bustamove::